OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What Type Of Hunter Are You??

Started by strut2, February 15, 2013, 08:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey harvester

Guess Im going to have to be an aggresive one. I'm not normally going to sit for a half day and wait on any gobbler. I'll find one that wants to play by the script, spend the rest of the day lloking for one. I will be patient if I know he is somewhere close, but waiting him out, naw too many turkeys where i hunt for that.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: guesswho on February 15, 2013, 09:18:15 PM
Slow and steady.  Don't matter to me if I kill him ten minutes after fly down or ten minute before fly up.   
I don't push them but I don't let them wander off either.  I know if I don't kill him that day, I learned enough to where I can kill him the next day.

This ^^^

I try to roost birds and be where they want to be at flydown, but if I am not I find out where he is and play his game. I will kill him today or tomorrow - doesn't matter. I will hunt from daylight to dark never coming out of the woods if I can stay on a bird.

I think I got my patience from hunting in the South. I just have to wait a bird out sometimes. If all else fails, I will leave him at lunch and be waiting for him at his roosting spot that evening.

TURKEYWHACKER

I hunt highly pressured public land for Osceola's and have learned the patience to sit tight. I kill a lot of my birds after 10:00am and a bunch have come in silent. Running and gunning would have passed over the quiet ones.

atoler

I run and gun. I shoot gobbling birds, and could care less about deer hunting them. Sitting somewhere and waiting on a bird that may or may not be there, to come in silent, is about as much fun as watching paint dry. This is my opinion, don't have anything against people who do this, as it can be very productive, but I'm blessed with the ability to hunt nearly any day of the season I want, so I would rather call it a day if I can't get one to gobble. The only exception to this is if I am out of state and on a limited time frame.

redleg06

I cant stand to sit in one spot all day for a bird but Im not a "run and gun" type guy either...but I will do either if I feel like it gives me the best chance to kill one on a given day/situation. 

That's a pretty general answer but every hunt is different so my approach tends to change based on the situation.

TrackeySauresRex

It all depends on how many naps I want to take that day   :funnyturkey:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: redleg06 on February 25, 2013, 03:59:58 PM
I cant stand to sit in one spot all day for a bird but Im not a "run and gun" type guy either...but I will do either if I feel like it gives me the best chance to kill one on a given day/situation. 

That's a pretty general answer but every hunt is different so my approach tends to change based on the situation.

Which is why you kill turkeys! You have to hunt them day to day based on what they are doing!

gobbler777

For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

870FaceLift

Quote from: atoler on February 25, 2013, 12:22:22 AM
I run and gun. I shoot gobbling birds, and could care less about deer hunting them. Sitting somewhere and waiting on a bird that may or may not be there, to come in silent, is about as much fun as watching paint dry. This is my opinion, don't have anything against people who do this, as it can be very productive, but I'm blessed with the ability to hunt nearly any day of the season I want, so I would rather call it a day if I can't get one to gobble. The only exception to this is if I am out of state and on a limited time frame.

Could not have said it better.  I can't sit still unless I know I'm working a bird.  I don't like blind calling.  If they're not gobbling, I'll try a few spots that I know have worked in the past.  If those don't produce, then I'll try another farm or come back the next day.  I know patience works, too, and that is how I started out, but I just can't do all day sits in one spot anymore.  To me, that's what treestands are for during the rut.  Now, I don't trounce through the woods all morning looking for signs of turkeys -- I'm calculated in my approach -- but I don't stay in one place too long.

I also hit 3 or 4 states a year, so I am definitely more patient and spend more dedicated time in out-of-state spots when I'm on a limited timeframe.
Pass it on...

Bob

I'm a minimalist.  Get in early, carry in as little as possible, take a seat and wait.  If nothing happens have a nap and try some run and gun tactics for the afternoon.  It's a day long adventure. 

MOStrutter

I used to be super agressive in moving on birds and my calling.  Now I am the complete opposite.  I hunt a lot of crop fields so I have learned to be patient and I know that if I wait and sound like a turkey should during that certain phase of the season, then I will have success.  If it doesn't work out right off of the roost then I will move on to a field that I have scouted beforehand and leave the roosted bird for the next morning with a different game plan.

cahaba

I used to do a lot of r&g but these 55 year old knees won't cooperate most days. Now I take it slow and steady and kill just as many birds. I really enjoy hunting with a laid back strategy. Last year
I couldn't find a gobblin bird nowhere. I remembered a place that had a lot of old and new scratchings and such so I went to the area and set down and would call about every 20 minutes. Just basic stuff. I did this for 3 1/2 hours and called up 3 longbeards. They never made a sound.One went home with me.This has happened at least once every year for the past 8 years. It takes a lot of patience going from an aggressive hunter to slowing way down. But killing a few like this gives you the confidence to hang in there.. I really like to set up near roost sites in the afternoon.

guesswho

Again, I'm slow and steady.  But I spend about 80-90% of my hunting time on my feet, just not of the run and gun variety. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

redrivergar

My hunting approach changes with the way the turkeys respond and the area I'm hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cahaba

Quote from: guesswho on February 27, 2013, 07:31:11 PM
Again, I'm slow and steady.  But I spend about 80-90% of my hunting time on my feet, just not of the run and gun variety.
Understood.