turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What Type Of Hunter Are You??

Started by strut2, February 15, 2013, 08:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strut2

What type of hunter are you? Aggressive run and gun type? Are you the patient hunter who can sit all day at one tree? Or do you fall in the happy medium range where you get aggressive but know when you should stay put? I fall under the aggressive category. I love to find the hot bird but I must say it has back fired on me many times. i have give up on birds to early and move on. Next thing i know i hear a gobble where I just came from. I hunt a lot of pressured public ground here in Pennsylvania so as it gets later in the season typically you hear fewer and fewer birds being vocal. I tend to fall in the happy medium category usually at that point. I have 4 buddies who are turkey crazy like myself and I usually hunt with each one of them a couple times a season and we are all completely different hunters. However each of us usually have pretty good success during the season. I decided the one day to sit with my buddy who can sit all day at the same tree we called in 8 birds in one day. And we really weren't hearing to many gobblers just knew we were in the area of birds. So it definitely pays off to be patient if your rear end can handle the sitting.

WildSpur

I am an aggressive runner and gunner too.  Big woods first and a reclaimed mine here and there.  I can't sit unless a bird is coming in. 

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

guesswho

Slow and steady.  Don't matter to me if I kill him ten minutes after fly down or ten minute before fly up.   
I don't push them but I don't let them wander off either.  I know if I don't kill him that day, I learned enough to where I can kill him the next day.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

WildTigerTrout

Given a choice I'm more comfortable as the aggressive run and gun turkey hunter. I hunt alot of public property and can cover some ground trying to get a bird to sound off. I can sit for quite a while too if I know that a gobbler is in the area. I hunt fast when I can and slow when I must!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

twinters

IT really depends on what phase of the season we are in for me,but most of the time I try to stay slow and steady.There is a time and place for both styles,paying attention to what the birds are doing today lets me know how I will be hunting that day.

paboxcall

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on February 15, 2013, 10:21:21 PM
Given a choice I'm more comfortable as the aggressive run and gun turkey hunter. I hunt alot of public property and can cover some ground trying to get a bird to sound off. I can sit for quite a while too if I know that a gobbler is in the area. I hunt fast when I can and slow when I must!

I'm like WTT above.  I have a lot of public ground I can cover and cover as much of it I can.  I started riding a mountain bike last year and covered even more ground, but silently.

I wish I could sit against the same tree for 3 or 4 hours, I just can't sit still.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

jblackburn

I am more agressive.  I probably have an undiagnosed case of ADHD, which is why I love turkey hunting!  I am getting more patient with age, though.  I can now sit for about a half an hour without hearing a gobble before I feel like I need to move.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

tjh24

I tend to be more on the paitent side.  Most of the areas I hunt are hit pretty hard.  Generally I do most of my moving early on in the morning.  I get to my listening spot, hustle to where the birds sound off at and try to set up.  Generally the gobbling quiets down shortly after flydown and I will slowly work my way to areas where I know birds will frequent and set up there for the remainder of the morning (hunting ends at 12 here)  But I am quick to move if I hear a bird and try to make something happen. I usually dont do a ton of walking and calling though, never really had much success with that.

Shotgun

It depends on where I'm hunting.  In the south I'm a lot like guesswho and slow and steady.  In the mid west I'm more of a run and gunner.

birdyhunter

I'm whatever I need to be. On a henned up field bird I can sit all day or run and gun if its called for. Every bird is different and every area is different. I'll do what it takes to bust beaks.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mikejd

Quote from: birdyhunter on February 16, 2013, 02:34:37 PM
I'm whatever I need to be. On a henned up field bird I can sit all day or run and gun if its called for. Every bird is different and every area is different. I'll do what it takes to bust beaks.

Im with you. I let the birds tell me what were doing today.

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: mikejd on February 16, 2013, 04:27:49 PM
Quote from: birdyhunter on February 16, 2013, 02:34:37 PM

Im with you. I let the birds tell me what were doing today.

X 2!

El Pavo Grande

I can hunt either way, usually depending on several factors, such as where I am hunting, phase of the season, etc. 

Shakey Jake

Usually i'm a happy medium, but really depends on the temper of the turkeys

o2stk1

sometimes I am a great hunter (if the birds work right) other times I think good grief what were u thinking lol