turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many turkey killers do you know?

Started by turkey_slayer, February 12, 2013, 09:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey_slayer

How many people do you personally know that flat out smokes birds year in year out? I'm at work and was just thinking about it. Just here at work I can name 4. All are great turkey hunters and callers and one can gobble on a mouth call that would send chills up your spine.

birdyhunter

Probably the same for me, about 4. 2 in raleigh NC, a father son duo both who have killed 400+ birds and 2 here in fl that flat out get it done.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

wisconsinteacher

I would say 4 or 5.  Every year they are involved in multiple kills.

appalachianstruttstopper

I know of about 9 close to me that call in 18 to 25 or more toms a year just in our 5 week season. Consistently getting within kill range of birds 4 out of 6 days a week.

atoler

depends on what you consider a "killer". I know a lot of people that limit out every year, but if you have some really awesome private land to hunt, that can be easy to do. And I know others that kill a couple every year on public land, that I would consider better hunters than the ones that always shoot a limit, but hunt great land.

off the top of my head, I know of two people that I would consider "bordering on local legend" status.

One of them is dead. He was the best turkey hunter I've ever encountered. He had no regard for limits, and often killed 20+ birds in a year, over a 50year career.

the other shoots a limit in al/ga consistently, and has been doing so for 25yrs. He also kills about 75% of them on public land.

turkey_slayer

Atoler true its a pretty broad question. All hunt prime private land now but one of em hunted only public for years and still always put em down. He hunted a 4 bird state and was usually done fairly quick. I enjoyed hunting with him. Killed prob a half dozen with 1.5" spurs to.

App I consider those good numbers. Thats roughly what they call up a year.

Spring_Woods

Quote from: atoler on February 12, 2013, 11:38:02 PM
depends on what you consider a "killer". I know a lot of people that limit out every year, but if you have some really awesome private land to hunt, that can be easy to do. And I know others that kill a couple every year on public land, that I would consider better hunters than the ones that always shoot a limit, but hunt great land.

off the top of my head, I know of two people that I would consider "bordering on local legend" status.

One of them is dead. He was the best turkey hunter I've ever encountered. He had no regard for limits, and often killed 20+ birds in a year, over a 50year career.

the other shoots a limit in al/ga consistently, and has been doing so for 25yrs. He also kills about 75% of them on public land.

I hate to be "that guy" but don't you think it's odd to call someone a legend and then in the next sentence say, said "legend" had no regards to kill limits? Seems a little contradictory to me.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

AUDoubleBeard

Quote from: Spring_Woods on February 13, 2013, 12:50:14 AM

I hate to be "that guy" but don't you think it's odd to call someone a legend and then in the next sentence say, said "legend" had no regards to kill limits? Seems a little contradictory to me.

I am pretty sure he said "boarding on local legend status". Furthermore there have been many legends that were out laws.

BrowningGuy88

I know a few stone cold killers. Out of the crew I hunt with I am probably the young local "legend" as I am involved in usually 8 to 10 gobblers being killed each season here in south alabama. My grandfather is the local legend. He kills his 5 quickly and puts his gun up and takes out youth who wouldn't have the chance otherwise.

Between the two of us we call in a either kill or see killed 20 to 30 gobblers a year. He is much better at it than I am, but I learned what I know from him.

appalachianstruttstopper

And the ones I mentioned besides 2 of them are all over 60yrs old and still wearin em' out. The oldest one hunts with me a whole lot every year, and has some kind of disorder like parkinson's disease that makes him shake really really bad.  I think it was 2011 season, and he missed 17 turkeys that season because of his shaking. Really sad to see someone close to you go down hill like this, but he is still a legend to me. BTW he is 78yrs old and goes to the woods every day.

TurkeyTom

I am proud to say that I know a bunch of them. We all belong to the same camp in Central New York and every year we slay a lot of birds.

Most of us have switched to using our bows and have been successful with them too. It is much more rewarding to kill one with my bow than my Mossberg.   :popcorn:

Xcal1ber

I know of a few that I can guarentee you, they will kill their limit every year.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

jakesdad

I can think of several in my area,and several more who think they are,but one really sticks out in my mind.A handicapped friend of mine who is in his mid 50's and has been paralyzed for over 25 yrs is a flat out killer!He smashed heads before he was hurt and didnt let being in a wheelchair slow him down,he just adapted his technique.This man could out sit a stump,most patient man i've ever seen.He's as optimistic 5 mins before quitting time as he is at sunup.he's been a great friend and a wonderful teacher.Man has probably forgotten more than most self proclaimed "legends" will ever know!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: jakesdad on February 13, 2013, 12:18:11 PM
A handicapped friend of mine who is in his mid 50's and has been paralyzed for over 25 yrs is a flat out killer!He smashed heads before he was hurt and didnt let being in a wheelchair slow him down,
Quote from: jakesdad on February 13, 2013, 12:18:11 PM
This man could out sit a stump.
LOL
Patience is a virtue!! Humbling watching people like this! Makes me really think hard when I complain about getting out of bed and walking  over to the alarm clock to smack it.

atoler

Quote from: Spring_Woods on February 13, 2013, 12:50:14 AM

well, being what it is, south alabama did not have many if any game laws 50 or 60 years ago. Do I think its a good thing that he had no regard for limits? no. But if you grow up putting enough food on the table to feed your family year round, then you learn different priorities than the rest of us. He ended up becoming a very wealthy man thru hard work an pinching pennies, but I guess his thoughts never changed on it.

Why would I not think he was worthy of being named on this thread? He was the type of hunter that you could place your bets he would come back to the truck with a bird. If he didn't something went seriously wrong.