turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lead numbers

Started by Ky Gobbler, February 10, 2013, 10:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ky Gobbler

Just wondering what would be considered a decent hunting pattern at 40 yards with lead #5 shot? I think I'm getting around 100 in a 10 inch circle, but I want better. 

jakesdad

Quote from: Ky Gobbler on February 10, 2013, 10:09:35 PM
Just wondering what would be considered a decent hunting pattern at 40 yards with lead #5 shot? I think I'm getting around 100 in a 10 inch circle, but I want better.

THAT ^

100 +/- at 40 with lead 5's is pretty dang good.If I could get that I believe I would just stick with it.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Shoot 3 patterns with those #5's, and if all 3 break 100, you've got something.

The best I've gotten at 40 yards with 3" #5's has been 131 in my INV+ BPS, and 116 in my 870, using an Indian Creek .665 choke in each.  That doesn't mean I can get those numbers every time.  The 870 has ran from 90 to 116 with #5's, and I've only shot that one 131 pattern with the #5's in the BPS.

#6's may give you better numbers.  But, if the difference was less than 15-20 pellets, I'd just use the #5's because they hit like bricks.  Or maybe a #6 in the chamber, and a couple #5's in the magazine.

nate12285

Like mentioned earlier, anything around 100 is very good.

Onpoint

I shot 3 with my .870 and Winchester hv 3" 5's and got 88, 93, and 100. Im stickin with it. I'd like to get a little better but it's a dead bird all day long.

BrowningGuy88

I want 130+ out of my 935 with a 3.5" shell. I will hunt with anything that goes over 100 in the 10 ring.

My stepdads 835 will consistently do 140+ with 2.25 ounces of 5's.

surehuntsalot

100-120 with lead 5's is a dead bird all day long
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

3" 870 Shell Shucker

#5's have Lots of Power for small game, Turkeys, and vermin, plus look at how much money you'll save on shells over time vs. HTL prices.

R AJ

Think about how many times you will have a shot well within 40 yards. You have a very adequate pattern at 25, 30 and 35 yards number wise I bet.

The old norm was 80 or approximately one pellet per square inch of surface area.

Do see what 6s do also as they are good to 40 yards as well.

burke0428

how in the world do you get 100 hits in a 10" circle? I never really pattern my guns much for turkey. I shoot a lot of ducks and doves and until this year i haven't really gotten all worked up for turkey season. I patterned my Nova this weekend with a few different shells. Im shooting 3" #5 and #6 and 3.5" #6 federals, rem. nitro and all gave me about 60 or so on the target. Im using a tightwad .655 choke and a 28" barrel. Any tips how to improve the shot count inside the 10" circle. I have seen impressive numbers and patterns on here. Can you give the newbie a few pointers.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: burke0428 on February 19, 2013, 04:26:44 PM
how in the world do you get 100 hits in a 10" circle? I never really pattern my guns much for turkey. I shoot a lot of ducks and doves and until this year i haven't really gotten all worked up for turkey season. I patterned my Nova this weekend with a few different shells. Im shooting 3" #5 and #6 and 3.5" #6 federals, rem. nitro and all gave me about 60 or so on the target. Im using a tightwad .655 choke and a 28" barrel. Any tips how to improve the shot count inside the 10" circle. I have seen impressive numbers and patterns on here. Can you give the newbie a few pointers.

Winchester is the standard for lead or if you can find the old Federals in the blue and gold box they are awesome.  You may have to try a few different chokes to get great lead numbers. I have always like Kick's chokes for lead, but many are good.

I would start with Winchester High Velocity 3.5" 2 ounce #6's and try the tightwad choke. If that doesn't work, call SumToy Customs and tell William what shell and what distance most of your shots will be. That is the best $65 I have ever spent on a turkey rig.

appalachianstruttstopper

Make sure you are shooting at a target at least 3ft x 3ft to make sure your poi matches your poa. Alot of times shooting at smaller targets one can assume they have a bad pattern but really the best pattern is somewhere besides the target. I buy a roll of masking paper from my hardware store and staple it to a 5ft x 4ft piece of osb. That gun with that choke should be shootin well over 100 #6' in 10" at 40yds with a 3 or 3.5.

R AJ

Check that Tightwad choke again and verify that it says 655 and not 665. I do not know of a 655 Tightwad choke. Tell us your gun and gauge,etc. to better help you . I believe like others that you are shooting at a 10 inch circle  or small  target one.

Oconeeguy

Comp-N-Choke in .670 has been my best lead choke so far, shooting BPS invector +. Have patterned lead very little, but I have gotten upper 90s in 10" at 40 yds with that.

Quax

After reading this i guess u should have never gotten rid of that Walmart beretta that would do 90 with 3-2-4s with a trulock .650!