OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Maybe thsi will get some chater going on this page! YOUR FIRST TURKEY!

Started by ElkTurkMan, March 02, 2011, 05:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElkTurkMan

Lets hear about everyone's first bird, and post some pics if you got them.  My first bird was a fat Jake I shot back in April of 1987.  It was the second morning I had ever hunted.  Spring Turkey hunting was new in Iowa at that time and had only been open for a few seasons.  In fact Turkeys were still a novelty in most of the state.  Anyway The first day dad and I didn't hear any gobbling at first light so we got about 200 yards apart on this hard wood ridge and cold called.  It was a lsow morning.  We both were still new at this game and it never occured to us to move around so we just sat there and called every 30 minutes or so.  About 11AM I heard dad shoot.  About 20 minutes later I saw him walkiing up the ridge towards me with his first Spring gobbler over his shoulder.  I can still picture it in my head and see the birds wings swinging beside my dad as he moved.  It was an amazing sight!  Quiting time in Iowa at that time was noon so we called it a day.  The next morning we still didn't hear any gobbling on the farm we were hunting.  So we went back down to where my dad killed his bird.  I was the only one hunting today.  We got set up and dad let out a soft yelp.  Not 5 minutes later three jakes walked right up to us.  I just sat there amazed.  My dad was 15 yards behind me whispering "shoooot shooot".  Now keep in mind these were some of the first wild turkeys I had ever seen, and  at that time I thought there were just hens, and long beards.  I didn't know what a jake was.  Well anyway the birds spooked.  They ran about 30 yards, and one just happened to stop where I could see his head.  I squeezed the trigger, and he rolled.  My dad was happy, and so was I.  We raised you know what on that ridge that morning. My dad smiled the whole walk back to the truck, and I know I did also.  We went and got him, and I was in  shock at how beautiful he was.  We got back to the truck took some pictures and went into town.  Dad's buddies were having breakfast at the local watering hole, and we stopped in to join them.  Everyone congraduated me,and made quite a big deal about the "Kid getting his turkey".   I really felt awesome ,it was a special day in my life and very treasured Trophy.  We capped the day off doing some crappy fishing.  
Sorry to ramble, but let's here y'alls stories of that pretty bird that started it all.        

[attachment deleted by admin]

harvester

This is what started it for me. My first turkey in 1998. I can't remember all the details but I do remember that they came in  silent and struttin the whole way with two hens and circled down below the decoys. They acted like they were a little skittish of the dekes. I finally got a shot at him bout 25 yards. Talk about being excited, I was on top of the world. I was afraid to move much because I had always heard you can't move a muscle on them and that they could see any movement. I was 19 at the time and had alot of mistakes under my belt. I do remember that I would go out and setup next to the field and just set there, call every 15 or 20 minutes and waited. It was kinda boring until I started runnin and gunnin. Then it was ON.  :z-guntootsmiley:

gob09

rick and i were in a blind opening morning 2009 niether one of us had no idea how to turkey hunt we just knew turkey were on the farm we had permisson to hunt so we set up a blind in a wooded island in the middle of a corn field we set there all morning we ate snacks talked about the good ole day's and called some too i was getting sleepy and layed back in my chair and tried to go asleep i heard what i thought was a squirl and looked up it was a turkey "rick already had given me first sahot" i told rick look turkey i thought hell they will spook and leave so when i seen a red head i shot there were other birds with him and they left the country wish i had not been so trigger happy but it is what it is im sure rick will tell his side too
he was just a little bitty jake i dont think his beard was even visible but i thought he was a giant

[attachment deleted by admin]

unclerick

Yeah Wes I remember that mourning, it was the day we became obsessed..

My first turkey was a jake, 5in beard and all, it was the following Monday that Wes killed his bird on 3/31/09. I was sitting across the field from where Wes got his on the same property. I seen some birds about 400yrds away so I called to them some and here they came, then I lost them in a water way so I thought they went on into the woods, I sat back opened my Sundrop and lite a smoke then all the sudden there they were on my right side in front of me, 1 hen with 7 jakes, they all walked right up to our blind, the hen and a jake were close enought to spit on, I picked out the best bird and fired, all them birds just stood there watch him flop around, before I came out of the blind I had to call Wes and let him know, and every time I kill a bird I get the same feelings all over again..
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

nctrkyhntr

My first turkey was actually a hen during North Carolina first fall season. Went to some private property up in the mountains of NC and while I was sitting against a tree watching the river flow by I heard a slight gobble. So I positioned my self in the direction it came from. Then she stepped out and not being patient and wanting to kill a turkey I gave her the almight dirt nap. Well then I had to chase her down the hill as she flopped bc she was headed straight for the river lol

mfd1027

Like Jon my first turkey was a hen and I remember it like it was yesterday- well almost.  :popcorn:  My Dad had gotten us on a lease in the Corkscrew Swamp area near Immokalee ,  Fla.  and I was 12 yrs. old.   The guys in the camp had challenged me and my brother that we wouldn't spend the night in the woods and between all of them they came up with 20.00.  BIG MONEY!!!  My brother was 14 and we took em up on it.   My Dad had bought us 870's for Christmas the yr. before and we headed out with our shotguns.  The deal was  we had to at least make it to a certain feeder we had that was about a 1/2 mile from camp. We took our guns, a bunch of shells and our sleeping bags.   We had a couple of flashlights and that was it.   We headed out after dark.   To say it was a long night is an understatement and if it hadn't have been for my brother I'd have headed back pretty quick.  I was scared to death!!   When we got to the feeder we laid out the sleeping bags and and got in em immediately.   We talked for as long as possible and finally at some pt. fell asleep.   All I remember was waking up to my brother poking me and it was after daylight but still real early.  We didn't have a watch.   Believe it or not he had spotted 3 or 4 turkeys roosted in some tree's that were rt. there by us ,I mean close.   We, of course, had slept with our guns rt. next to us and Denny had a plan.  It was one of those shoot on 3 deals.  I don't know how we managed to get out of those bags and get up and start shooting but we did.   I'm not sure which one of us hit the hen we killed but let's call it a double team.   We both emptied our guns.   We had been rabbit hunting the day before and both of us had 6's in our guns.  We got us a hen and yep we shot her off the roost. lol   My Dad said it sounded like WW2 down there and the old guy's came hauling butt in the buggy to see what we were shooting at.   Man, were they shocked to see that turkey.   We were like two peacock's. lol  We got our 20 buck's too.    Man, if my Mom would have had one of  our guns in her hands when we told her the story she would have shot my Dad.  Whew! was she p'd!!     
Dan

gob09

Muskie03

I'm guessing the rest of ya'll are still try to kill your first turkey. Maybe this year will be the year! :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

doublegobble

Quote from: Muskie03 on March 03, 2011, 10:47:21 AM
I'm guessing the rest of ya'll are still try to kill your first turkey. Maybe this year will be the year! :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
:icon_thumright:
Red meat isn't bad for you, fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

mfd1027

Man.   The "DooDoo" Hunter's have invaded our territory.   Must not be much going on in their area.   You know the old saying
"Know Your Opponent".   I guess they're nervous that we're about to make em look bad.    :z-guntootsmiley: :z-paddy-smiley113:
Dan

unclerick

Well you know Dan how jealous them "poo poo in their pants at the site of a turkey, low rent, 12 sandwich eating, girly boy, some kind of ameture poty mouth turkey hunter wantabe's, can get, they just have to come in to a turkey killing team thread and try to start strife and confusion and chaos just to make them selves feel better about being, not all but some, a bunch of lose theirselves in the woods evrytime they get out of the truck turkey hunters.

We just have to put up with them for a litltle while,  :bike2: 

gob09

unclerick

Quote from: gob09 on March 03, 2011, 07:08:01 PM
i thought i weas reading something tim s. wrote :z-guntootsmiley:
Yeah I just can't remember all of it, so improvivised a little.

gob09

unclerick

Quote from: gob09 on March 03, 2011, 08:43:38 PM
I MISS MY FRIEND :'(
I seen a guy yesterday in an old work truck that looked just like him, from the fuzzy hair and funny glasses to the way he sat behind the wheel, flooded my memory with alot of good times, yeah I miss our old friend as well Wes.