Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Moving to Ohio are there any turkeys there?

Started by Kylongspur88, June 12, 2012, 11:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylongspur88

Soooo looks like i'll be moving to the Dayton area for at least a year if not more. The feiance took her dream job and I shall follow. My main concern is whether there are any turkeys in that area or will I end up driving back to Ky? I'll figure the rest out as I go, but the turkeys are a real concern.
Thanks

Will Shaver

I live in western Pa close to the Ohio border. They kill a lot of Turkeys in our area. Seems like those hunters who get to hunt Ohio see more birds than we do. Getting permission  to hunt is the hard part.You might be doing some different kind of hunting, more small lots and farm country.

West Augusta

Look up Bob Fulcher (Shadetree Calls)  He is a good guy, great callmaker and lives in that area.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

joey46

Check the ODNR web page.  They will have a kill total posted by county for 2012 and 2011.  You can find some decent public land about 2 hours s/e of Dayton.   Good luck.

Kylongspur88

Quote from: JohnDoe on June 13, 2012, 01:01:24 PM
Don't go. Ohio is one of those "No Rifle" states. I dont mean for turkeys I mean at all.

John
I know. I'll definitely be coming home to gun hunt. I researched the harvest numbers and it's depressing. More birds were killed on the wma by my house than in some of those counties in sw oh. Between that and having to live amongst ou fans I'm not too stoked...

longbeard11

There are zero turkeys in ohio and the no big deer what so ever, waste of time! lol

West Augusta

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on June 13, 2012, 01:14:13 PM
Quote from: JohnDoe on June 13, 2012, 01:01:24 PM
Don't go. Ohio is one of those "No Rifle" states. I dont mean for turkeys I mean at all.

John
I know. I'll definitely be coming home to gun hunt. I researched the harvest numbers and it's depressing. More birds were killed on the wma by my house than in some of those counties in sw oh. Between that and having to live amongst ou fans I'm not too stoked...
ou fans.  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
I think they call themselves tOSU out there.  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

870FaceLift

Quote from: West Augusta on June 13, 2012, 09:32:17 AM
Look up Bob Fulcher (Shadetree Calls)  He is a good guy, great callmaker and lives in that area.

Bob is a great guy!  He and I are putting together a NWTF chapter for the Dayton area as we speak. KY - let me know if you would like to help, we could use it!

As for the turkeys - you just have to look.  The good thing is that many of the hunters up here couldn't care less about hunting a wild turkey.  You may need to door knock, but it works.  I gained access to about 400 new acres this year (turkey only).  Having said that, I hunt KY every year with family down there and love it.  Looks like you have a valid excuse to cover two states next year!  PM me if you have more questions.

Go Bucks
Pass it on...

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Kylongspur88

Ok ok I can tolerate bucks fans...to an extent. It's duke fans that make me want to barf.. I've never lived anywhere flat. And it appears the bow hunting is good with a long season.

shadetree callers

Well for starters we don't hunt anything around Dayton except crack heads , lol . As for the hunting in Ohio... we have some of the best turkey hunting you will find anywhere and the deer , let's just say we have a 304 " buck and  202" typical , the longest scoring main beams on a deer ever recorded ....  They don't hide behind every tree , but you will be moving to a deer-rich state for sure . I brought 6 Ohio gobblers to the gun for myself and friends this year and it was the hardest season I can remember but there are still plenty of birds to hunt . On my KY farms , the hunting was just as hard this year due to the early warm-up .

As Calen mentioned , we are starting a new chapter of the NWTF for the Montgomery County area and we would like to have you join us . That is a great way to get some insider info on hunting this great state . Plus you get some custom calls without paying for shipping , lol . Let me know if you are interested in the new chapter.

As for the sports , well I don't follow ball games too much ( prefer the woods over the tv) but I ALWAYS root for the home team OSU , Cincinnati Bengals and Reds, Dayton Dragons .
You won't be leaving anything behind . We have awesome opportunities for hunting here !
Bob

DeWayne Knight

Bob, you can't post up on the Internet about the big deer we have in Ohio!  All the TV Hunters will be coming here leasing up ground to film their shows...oh wait, they already do!!!   :TooFunny:

flintlock

Check out the AEP lands for hunting/fishing up by Columbus.
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

gobbler336

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on June 13, 2012, 11:43:30 PM
Ok ok I can tolerate bucks fans...to an extent. It's duke fans that make me want to barf.. I've never lived anywhere flat. And it appears the bow hunting is good with a long season.

i think it is quite an honor that DUKE makes opposing teams sick all over the country.  

good luck on the move, i think you will be pleasantly suprised.