turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cove's Season Recap 2012

Started by Cove, June 03, 2012, 01:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cove

With a couple weeks to recover I have finally found a minute to upload the pictures from this spring. This season was choked with hard hunting and it seemed like everywhere I went it was a test to see how far I'd push it to be successful. Determination was key as nothing came easy, every bird (especially out of state) was well earned.

Instead of starting the season in South Florida, it was Mississippi this year. And as I said, it was a challenge but on day 5 of a 6 day hunt I connected on a fine MS 2 year old public land gobbler on a nail biting hunt with 3 longbeards in gun range at the moment of truth.

The home state was kind but the 2 year old numbers were not here. Which means the older birds took a little more caressing but the hooked rewards were worth it.

Georgia Birds

A double with my OK buddy, these guys made movie stars.

Cove

Next, I made a run to familiar Oklahoma and brought my brother along to chase him down his first Rio. We had a great 3 days there and made 3 movie stars along the way.
Drew's Rio

Mine.

Shane

Cove

Then it was off to the west- New Mexico and Arizona. A really demanding 9 days of hunting slammed with uncooperative birds and long days up rocky, steep terrain. This is definitely a location you want to be physically prepared for the rigors of thin air and fast moving birds. My buddy Mark K took his bird on day 2 but for some reason I dont have pictures of his bird?? I guess we took them all on his camera. It took me til day 4 to finally run one down.

Random Scenes from NM.

Long way to the top.

Arizona- more grueling terrain with birds that didn't mind gobbling but just wouldn't do what a Merriam gobbler is suppose to do. After this hunt, I swore to NEVER again say a Merriam turkey is the easiest to kill. NEVER! It was day 4 in AZ before I got in the right spot and called this beautiful Merriam up a roadway to the gun. He put on a spectacular show.

sugarray

Great season Dave!!  Congrats to you and Drew!

Cove

Another "encounter" I could have done without was this mountain lion that slipped into my set up and began screaming at 25 yards. I suppose she was looking for a kitten or mate but either way she was voicing her disgust. I was able to get a few pictures.

Random AZ

Cove

The last leg of the season took me to NY, NJ and PA. Usually I finish in the west each season but thought this year I'd change it up. I'll be reverting back to the old style next year. The birds were non existent but the weather didnt help. I hunted 8 days, hoping back and forth across state lines and in those 8 days, 7 of them saw heavy rains at some point. I stayed soaked to the bone the entire trip and ruined a pair of boots. Between 2 guys, we heard 4 birds the entire trip and of those 4 birds- 3 were called into gun range. We both managed to miss a bird each (of course) and I was able to connect on a really nice public land PA longbeard, in the rain obviously.

More from the northeast.

Last Set of 2012.

Shotgun

Congrats on great year...I enjoyed the pics

drenalinld

Great pics Dave! Tough hunting, but you stayed in there and made the most of it. Congrats on some nice birds.

turkeykiller22

congrats on a great year!! So how many birds did you end up with?!?
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

WiLL B

Enjoyed the pictures!! You seen some country this spring!! Congrats!!

Rio Fan

Awesome pictures - congrats on a great season!

marshboy

You clearly have a talent for photography.  Incredible pics.
Congrats on an outstanding season.
Greg

slamman

very nice pictures and fantastic job on your hunts.  glad to hear you were successful in Arizona.

deerhunt1988

Congrats on a great season! Enjoyed the pics. That mountain lion would have had me down to my last nerve...

Devastator

congrats,and some great pics.