turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Butt ugly call - You decide

Started by lightsoutcalls, May 28, 2012, 11:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

This is a curly maple slate call that I built this weekend and listed on ebay tonight.  The dye is a custom mix of 3 different colors.  The sides of the call appear almost black.  I may work on another mix with a bit less black... what ya' think?
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

ccleroy

Looks great Wendell, I have actually been dying or staining my curly maple as well lately, I think it pronounces the character of the wood better....good work.

savagecaller

stone road turkey calls

Call and color looks good, does the civil war call come with a ghost, wow what a story.

gary
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

vaturkey

Fine Lookin Call !   :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

bird

Obviously the title is a shot at my comment of how I'm not a fan of dyed wood calls when I said that I think they are butt ugly. Yes I still stand behind that opinion and agree with the title of the thread.  Better than most dyed calls but still not as nice as the wood if it was kept in its natural state.

Still not a fan of dyed wood calls, jmo

misfire

I think the dye enhanced that wood a lot.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

lightsoutcalls

Dang, Angry Bird, you got me.   :)  I'll take the "better than most" part as a compliment and agree that not everybody likes the same thing in wood or calls. 
Personally, I don't care for the parquet style inlay bands around calls (the kind assembled in a foreign country on a backing), but that is just my personal taste. 

Dyed calls aren't for everyone, and I, too, enjoy a really nice figured grain unenhanced by anything but a nice clear finish.  There are definitely some woods that I wouldn't think about adding dye to. 

I'll have to post a picture of the deep purple call I just finished for a little young lady in Iowa once it is finished.

dirt road ninja

I don't dislike it, but it reminds me of a bowling ball.

DeWayne Knight

I like it Wendell!  Having been a carpentry contractor for about 20 years and building all manner of custom woodworking; cabinets, entertainment centers, book shelves, etc., I understand Angry Bird's position/opinion and the idea of letting wood's natural grain show through.  But I definitely think the appearance of some woods, especially maple, can benefit from having the grain enhanced with some stain or dye.  Even a polyurethane varnish that turns the maple a little golden can make a difference.  Nice call Wendell!

bird

Yeah I agree with ya Wendell about inlays except for A+J's Custom Calls strikers with the Mother of Pearl inlays.... Those are sweet!  :icon_thumright:

Just like laminate calls.  I just can't get myself past the thought that they are nothing but a call put together from scrapes of wood.  Especially the ones with purpleheart or Osage orange woods. Now those are truly butt ugly in my opinion.

A purple call + Iowa = Gotta be a Vikings fan!
  :TooFunny:

Mallehet

looks good.........pretty cool looking..........

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: AngryBird on May 29, 2012, 10:12:59 AM
Yeah I agree with ya Wendell about inlays except for A+J's Custom Calls strikers with the Mother of Pearl inlays.... Those are sweet!  :icon_thumright:

Just like laminate calls.  I just can't get myself past the thought that they are nothing but a call put together from scrapes of wood.  Especially the ones with purpleheart or Osage orange woods. Now those are truly butt ugly in my opinion.

A+J's strikers are beautiful, no doubt! 
I just can't seem to get too excited about building laminate calls myself anymore.  Even though I used off-cuts (scraps) in some of my laminates, I often bought some of the bolder colored and grained woods specifically for laminate making.  The time involved in cutting, milling, matching and gluing the woods is just more than I care to mess with anymore.  Take a look at some of Glen Marrer's laminates... those things are nothing short of works of art!  He does some with angles that are extremely intricate...  just incredible!  No way I could make myself take one into the woods though... too pretty!

The purple call is for the younger sister of the girl I did the first hot pink dyed call for.  Sorry if this damages anyones retinas...  ;D

DeWayne Knight

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on May 29, 2012, 11:02:09 AM
Quote from: AngryBird on May 29, 2012, 10:12:59 AM

A+J's strikers are beautiful, no doubt! 
I just can't seem to get too excited about building laminate calls myself anymore.  Even though I used off-cuts (scraps) in some of my laminates, I often bought some of the bolder colored and grained woods specifically for laminate making.  The time involved in cutting, milling, matching and gluing the woods is just more than I care to mess with anymore.  Take a look at some of Glen Marrer's laminates... those things are nothing short of works of art!  He does some with angles that are extremely intricate...  just incredible!  No way I could make myself take one into the woods though... too pretty!

The purple call is for the younger sister of the girl I did the first hot pink dyed call for.  Sorry if this damages anyones retinas...  ;D

I am guessing you got in touch with your feminine side building that call!!!   :TooFunny:

drenalinld

I like it! The root beer colored one, not the pink......lol