turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Field bird and woods bird

Started by OLE RASPY, May 27, 2012, 08:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OLE RASPY

Why do people classify it as these kind of birds.Ive been hunting turks for 15 years and heard this several times and yet can distinquish them. Every bird to my knowledge roost in the woods or at the edge in a tree.All birds will pilfer around in the woods and field.Im confused. ??? ???

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Some birds populate areas that have limited to no agriculture, hence timber turkeys.

Some birds populate areas with expansive agricultural fields and subsequently spend a majority of their time foraging and loafing within them, hence field turkeys.

The birds are the same, however, the impacts of their lifestyles within those respective habitats often has a significant impact on their beard and spur lengths.  The way they utilize those habitats are also different and consequently hunting techniques are not identical.

guesswho

Woods are nothing more than fields with tree's. ;D 

Around here when you here people talk about field turkeys or woods turkeys, they are talking about where they encounter the bird or where they plan to hunt the birds.  Some people prefer to hunt them in the woods, others prefer fields.  Both have their advantages. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

OLE RASPY

Quote from: guesswho on May 27, 2012, 09:38:38 PM
Woods are nothing more than fields with tree's. ;D 

Around here when you here people talk about field turkeys or woods turkeys, they are talking about where they encounter the bird or where they plan to hunt the birds.  Some people prefer to hunt them in the woods, others prefer fields.  Both have their advantages. 
Im leaning more toward this.Kinda what i was thinking.Ya never know.I could have been missing out on something but here turkeys are in the field and woods :newmascot:

deerhunt1988

"Woods" birds are way more exciting and enjoyable to hunt for me....

Clif Owen

Wonder how you hunt "road" turkeys...

AndyH

I hunted a bird this spring he roosted in the woods but spent the entire day in one of three fields. He would fly down and hit the field and gobble until his harem of hens found him and then spend the rest of the day strutting in the open fields. To me this gobbler is what I would call a field bird

Hooksfan

Well I guess everyone has a take on it, so here goes mine.
To me it means where the bird is encountered and what type tactics might be used to kill it. 

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on May 27, 2012, 09:56:42 PM
I agree. Me too :icon_thumright:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

wvboy

They are the same Turkeys.. like said before, it is just where you encounter them..

But with that said.. I would much rather hunt them in the woods.. I can kill 9 turkeys in the woods to every one I kill in a field.. Field birds are so tempting to hunt because you can always find them and see them .. but they can be a pain in the butt and frustrating.. put that same turkey in the woods where you can move on him and use the cover to setup and get in his comfort zone and you can kill him a lot easier in my opinion... but every once in a while you can get a field turkey to run across a field to you too.. especially with gobbler decoys.. and then you get pulled right back into hunting them again and let the frustration begin all over again :)

RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

gobbler74

I know what your speaking of. Personally I will hunt them wherever they gobble. Its all a different experience whether its tactics, time of day or amount of ground you have to cover. On another note. I hear a lot of east coast hunters talking about why all those hunting videos are from fields or blinds or at least seem to have a high amount of footage from such. Some part of that is just a matter of terrain and the limits of how you have to set up where the birds are traveling too or roosting near without getting busted. Not every state has the abundance of forest and hardwood cover to hunt turkeys and those turkeys work the clear patches as well.  If you have never been west of the Mississippi keep an open mind to differences in habitat and tactics used to hunt it.  :icon_thumright:

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

barry

Where I live here in central VA we classify them as either mountain birds or farm birds. To me farm birds seem to have more of a set pattern than mountain birds.
Just my 2 cents...that and 3 pennies will get you... well, 3 cents!

surehuntsalot

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on May 27, 2012, 09:56:42 PM

+1000
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

coyotetrpr

Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

ncturkey

I like hunting turkeys in the woods the most. The turkeys have to come and look for you. I learned to hunt in the woods due to hunting public land which had very few fields. Field hunting can be fun. But the birds in a field can see from where you are calling from most of the time. If you do not use decoys this could be a problem. When I do hunt field gobblers I try and settup where I have real good cover so the bird has to look for the hen that is call to them. Tell you what I love to do and that is to hunt along a field in the woods. You know the small little fields in the woods. Turkey love those places.