turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to call to bird on Limb?

Started by jb177, April 24, 2012, 09:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb177

What types of strategies do you use when a bird is on the limb?  I've only called in a few birds right off roost so I want to get better at it.  Usually I make a few soft purrs and light yelps right before fly down to let the tom  know where I am.  It seems they always go the other way.  I'm afraid if I over call, they'll just sit there waiting for the "hen" to come underneath them and drop down.

I've tried decoys, etc.  Just can't seem to kill a bird first thing in the morning.

duxrus

IMO....... Birds on roost are VERY "iffy" so I will give them one or two soft tree yelps and shut up until they hit the ground. Yes, I love to hear them gobble but too many times they will sail out into the open or away wanting you to follow. I would rather play hard to get.....

VAHUNTER

i usually do not give them more than a couple soft clucks. your main objective is for that bird to know that you (the hen) is there. once i know that he has heard me and he knows that i am there i'm done calling until he is on the ground.
if you over call a Gobbler will do what he is suppose to do. set on that limb until the hen walks into his sight.
Good things come to those who wait

runngun

SOFTLY, and not alot of it. Then SHUT UP til his feet are on the ground!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

shootemintheface

Yep soft and only two or three time just before fly down time.

Kylongspur88

Very tempting to call, but less is more.

jakebird

The best call for roosted gobblers took me years to discover. Its a heavy dose of silence, punctuated by my heart pounding and shallow breathing. Just keep wailing on that call till he flies down.  :D
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

Wrangler95

A few soft calls and flap your cap on your leg so it sounds like a turkey flying down,works for me!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

dvdegeorge

Best to sit queitly....key is to be set up where the bird wants to go so he'll fly down in your direction...killer set up is if you are set up inbetween the tom and hens, I have killed quiet a few this way without even uttering a single call

tomstopper

I usually do a couple of SOFT clucks and then go silent. I try to let my set up do the work for me. I like to hear the gobble as well but experience has taught me that the more they gobble the harder it is to get them to fly down in your direction.

Skeeterbait

More you call, more he gobbles, more likely he is to call in hens or another hunter.  He can be heard from a lot further away up there, don't incourage him to gobble.  He can also see a lot better up there.  In the timberland I hunt you have cover that allows you to work in pretty close to a roosted bird to set up.  I don't want him searching for something in my direction while he has such a comanding view of the area.  Instead, listen.  Listen for hens to answer him and see if there is a way for you to get between him and the hens.  Think about the area and where he might want to go naturally, an open area nearby where you have seen signs of strutting, a ridge line nearby, whatever.  Work your way into a well thoughtout setup and you will be way ahead when he hits the dance floor.

turkey_slayer

Usually don't say anything. If I know he has hens I will pour it on him with multiple flydowns (like 6 or more), lot of cutting and yelping with mouth call and slate at the same time. Killed a few like this that pitched straight to me and left their hens in the tree. Most were my better birds.

jb177

Looks like I was on the right track.  A couple tree yelps is a about all I ever do, sometimes I might do a fly down. 

Just wish I was more successful at fly down. 

TauntoHawk

My big lesson for the year is that every time you make them gobble on the limb you hurt your chances of killing that birds just a little buit more.

Dont be afraid to feed it to them once they are on the ground though, especially if they dont have hens yet
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>