OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How to call to bird on Limb?

Started by jb177, April 24, 2012, 09:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnew17

I have found that calling to a bird in the tree. Even if it is a soft cluck, tree yelp, fly down cackle, wing beat against the leg, anything will more than likely cause him to stay in the tree until he "sees" that hen he has heard. I have found out that making no sounds until the bird has come off the roost works better. As soon as i hear him hit the ground, fly out of the tree, or hear a gobble on the ground i will get ready for my first call sequence.

Also remember,that when he is gobbling in the tree he is trying to call hens to HIM. This is another reason i dont call to him in the tree because i dont want him to gobble anymore than he has to for me to zero in on his position. If you call to him in the tree he will more than likely continue gobbling to try and call you closer, in the meantime hens from all directions are headed your way. And more times than not , no matter how sweet sounding you are, the "real" hen that he can "see" will take him off.

Hognutz

I make a few soft clucks to make him gobble. Once I have him located, the fun begins.
This is where good camo and stealth come into play. Now that he is located, I sneak up on him until I am directly under the tree that he is in. Sometimes the are way up there, so it is very important that you sight your shotgun in for a minimum of 50 yards, straight up. (Not all trees are created equal). The sight in process can be tough, but I have found that if you lay on your back when you shoot, you don't have to climb so high in the tree to place your target.
Once I am in position and ready, I ease off the safety. (and I mean ease off, because a little "click" right now, and you may have blown your hunt)!
Once the safety is off, I cluck one more time. This more often than not will make him gobble, thus, exposing his neck for a good ethical shot.
This may not work everytime, because some toms are just more wary than others, but by and large, it is a proven way to deal with those pesky "on a limb" gobblers. They have a mind of their own!!
No need to thank me.. I am here to help.. Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

jakebird

:D  you're a pretty funny feller, hognutz!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

VAHUNTER

Quote from: jb177 on April 25, 2012, 11:16:44 AM
Looks like I was on the right track.  A couple tree yelps is a about all I ever do, sometimes I might do a fly down. 

Just wish I was more successful at fly down. 
i hardly ever do a fly down cackle. but i do a fly down by beating my hat off of my leg. i have had great results by doing this.
i had a bird this year double gobble when he heard what he thought was wings beating. he came in on a string.
Good things come to those who wait

redleg06

Quote from: VAHUNTER on April 24, 2012, 09:59:19 PM
i usually do not give them more than a couple soft clucks. your main objective is for that bird to know that you (the hen) is there. once i know that he has heard me and he knows that i am there i'm done calling until he is on the ground.
if you over call a Gobbler will do what he is suppose to do. set on that limb until the hen walks into his sight.

Agree.

I want him to know I'm there and get curious when i shut up.

I've tried a bunch of different ways when they have hens with them in the tree and there is no definitive answer..... ultimately, i try to get between where I think he and (more importantly) the hens are likely to go after fly down.  As far as the calling part of it, I usually dont say anything at all and try to react by following in behind them or watching/listening to the direction they are headed in and get in front of them. When this is the plan, I think you are simply giving away your position by calling and makes him watch your general direction, which makes it harder to make a move when you need to. The success rate of calling them away from hens is just too low for me to sit there and make noise and I'd rather "read and react".

redleg06

Quote from: Hognutz on April 25, 2012, 11:42:34 AM
I make a few soft clucks to make him gobble. Once I have him located, the fun begins.
This is where good camo and stealth come into play. Now that he is located, I sneak up on him until I am directly under the tree that he is in. Sometimes the are way up there, so it is very important that you sight your shotgun in for a minimum of 50 yards, straight up. (Not all trees are created equal). The sight in process can be tough, but I have found that if you lay on your back when you shoot, you don't have to climb so high in the tree to place your target.
Once I am in position and ready, I ease off the safety. (and I mean ease off, because a little "click" right now, and you may have blown your hunt)!
Once the safety is off, I cluck one more time. This more often than not will make him gobble, thus, exposing his neck for a good ethical shot.
This may not work everytime, because some toms are just more wary than others, but by and large, it is a proven way to deal with those pesky "on a limb" gobblers. They have a mind of their own!!
No need to thank me.. I am here to help.. Mike

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

jb177