OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How concealed should you be?

Started by Siwash, April 23, 2012, 05:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siwash

Over the past 2 seasons of turkey hunting, I have tried different tactics in terms of keeping concealed and camo'd.. Last season on one occasion, I basically planted myself at the base of a large tree and had 3 turkey swing by, even quite close (12 yards) but I couldn't take a shot because they were off to my side. I didn't get a chance to swing the gun without the risk of them detecting me. Either way, I don't think the hens and toms that went by new I was there even though I was completely exposed.... they didn't seem nervous at all... On another outing last year, I set up snugged in with branches and grasses, and twigs, etc.. definitely more hidden. Does is really matter? I have read that as long as you are completely still, and camo'd you should be ok.. movement is the most important factor.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Mike Honcho

I think someone posted the other day ...be more concerned with what the turkey can see than with what you can see.  Sit in the shadows if you can.    If you are completely in camo but out too much in open it will still be difficult to get your shotgun mounted for the shot or manipulate your calls.   If you error , error on the side of being in too much cover vs. not enough.
You still need to be able to make a clear shot. 

Siwash

jakebird

Since i started using a leafy suit, i feel much more comfortable settting up in the open, but i still prefer cover. My favorite is getting in under the low branches of some shrubbery at the base of a good sized tree. I like to be broken up good on rear and sides and a little bit in front, but  not so much it obstructs my shot. Find this set up, add a little shade and my leafy suit, and im like a sniper in the grass. Had them within feet of me like that.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

Siwash

Quote from: jakebird on April 23, 2012, 06:56:06 PM
Since i started using a leafy suit, i feel much more comfortable settting up in the open, but i still prefer cover. My favorite is getting in under the low branches of some shrubbery at the base of a good sized tree. I like to be broken up good on rear and sides and a little bit in front, but  not so much it obstructs my shot. Find this set up, add a little shade and my leafy suit, and im like a sniper in the grass. Had them within feet of me like that.

Not always easy to find that...

mikejd

I would say as long as your outline is non existent and you are totally camo you should be ok. But i mean totally camo no white around your eyes hands,wrists.... what i am more concerned about is color, ex you know that orange under armor emblem they put on there camo, no good. I was picked off by a bunch of birds that looked directly at a embroidered turkey on my hat that was no bigger then a silver dollar. Also if your wristwatch shows they see it. All of these examples were learned the hard way.

redmag

Mike,
     I learned of the wrist watch deal several years ago (in the 80's).  I lost a watch after that by fastening the watch to my belt loops.  Now I wear long gloves and always check to make sure the watch is covered.  I hunt mostly mountains of WV and VA and I almost always hunker down next to a tree that is larger than my shoulders.

Jim

redleg06

Shadows help a ton, Break up your outline, don't wear colors that stick out like a sore thumb (almost any of the popular camo will do) and sit still...

dirt road ninja

I've killed them in dark colored work pants, a camo shirt, no gloves, no face mask and with a shiny gun. As long as your outline is broken up and your not sitting in sunlight your fine. Even when they are keyed up, they almost always let you pick up and aim at them. I wouldn't try it if they are very very close, but I've killed birds that were on edge and I needed to switch hands to shoot. I will give up some visibility in favor of cover, but being still is #1.

DMP

A lot of the bottoms I hunt are wide open with no cover around the trees and on occasion one will spoke but not sure if its because they see me or because they don't see any other birds.  I never use a decoy so it could be that.  I always have my gun up on my knees at all times.  I hate the thought of getting caught with it in my lap or on the ground so that helps as well when you don't have much cover.  I do always try and find a tree that's wider than me but that's not always possible.  One thing to remeber is if they're coming and you can see them then don't call because they will pin point you in a heart beat. 

To go along with the watch issue, don't forget about your socks.  I never wear white socks.  One day my brother and I were hunting and I looked over and could see his socks because his pants leg had come up.  I bought a bunch or grey and brown socks just for turkey hunting which now I wear tall rubber boots so its not really a problem.

WNM

We've had pressured, public land birds all over us this season when we were sitting up against 6" diameter pines. All I've been wearing is green Carharts, a camo buttondown, and of course gloves and a facemask. Don't call when a bird is coming to you and don't move your gun when a bird is facing you.

We were walking and calling one hunt this year and had a bird come over a ridge at 30 yards. I didn't see it but my buddy told me not to move. We stood perfectly still and that gobbler walked right by and had no idea we were standing straight up 25 feet from the closest tree.

I call BS on the birds spooking from an emblem on a hat.

Don't move and you can be wearing a Barney suit and kill them.

That being said, I wear a leafy suit and try to sit against a wide tree to help cover up my movements when a bird doesn't come walking right down my barrel when I'm set up perfectly.

mikejd

Wnm, I will say it must all be the bird your dealing with. I think hens are more trouble then gobblers. And I myself had a many a standoff with a bird in the middle of a trail that i had to wait until he crossed in front of me so i could drop down for a shot.

But the emblem on my hat was as real as it gets all at once they looked at the emblem. I could see were they were looking.

redleg06

If a turkey decided he didn't like the emblem on my hat, it'd be the last time he ever had to worry about it because, when they get that close, that emblem is usually pretty tight down toward the business end of my shotgun.

In all seriousness, I can't believe a bird would see a small emblem and spook from that alone. I'd be willing to bet it was your general outline or facial profile that spooked him and not them emblem itself. 

gunnerj

Camo matters. With that being said, it's not magical. Being still is more important than the brand of camo you have on your back. Be still, be cautions, and be on target! :anim_25:

Tail Feathers

Good cover increases success in my experience.  Overhanging cover such as low hanging limbs really seems to help hide a hunter very well.
I've killed birds with less than ideal cover but good cover helps quite a bit. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!