turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How concealed should you be?

Started by Siwash, April 23, 2012, 05:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakebird

Well, i'll say one thing. With all this talk about those bright logos on your hat, when I was in Bass Pro the other day buying a few things for spring, i remembered this thread and i walked right around those under armour hats, and right to the rack full of off brands with dull logos or none at all...if i could spot those logos from across the store, i know a bird could. Regardless of what they think it is, if my head moved it would be like flashing a neon sign. Sorry folks, but that trendy, bright logo may impress your buddies and make the guys on tv look cool, but i dont think it belongs on a serious turkey hunting hat...
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

Rapscallion Vermilion

A lot of those fancy logos have UV brighteners in them too, which make them even brighter to the turkey's eyes than they are to ours. And the brighter something is, or the sharper the contrast with the background, the easier it will be to detect any slight movement.  I've tested all my camo with a little hand held black light and been surprised how much some of it glowed, and not just the logos either.

drenalinld

Shiny stuff is in the woods. Slow deliberate movements or no movement. I have killed a pile wearing that UA hat!

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Mix up your camo. 

I wear mossyoak bottomland on my torso and mossy oak obsession pants.  I think it helps create depth and works extremely well if I'm forced to accept a shadowless tree.

Movement is critical.  Once a bird indicates he is coming, my gun goes up on my knee, my hand gets positioned on the fore end, and I get my head down on the butt stock. I'll sit there motionless anticipating his arrival so I'm ahead of the game once he shows up.

Also, get a low profile on the tree.  Sit so you knees and shoulders are aligned with your rear end a good distance away from the base.

J Hook Max

Shade is your best friend. On cloudy days,  you will need much more cover. Make sure nothing will get in the way of moving your gun.

Spring_Woods

I do the best with what I'm given. (Relating to cover)

I hunt pretty mobile and just try to find a perch wide enough to conceal my outline. Sometimes I gotta just make due.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

MEbeardlover

I agree that movement is they key. The best way I have heard it explained is that turkeys see in 2D, like a photograph. Imagine looking at a photo and seeing something move, how badly that would stick out.That helps explain how easily turkeys key in on movement.

BrowningGuy88

I don't worry about it much actually. If I can get under a tree with low hanging limbs I will, but I always keep a pair of clippers in my vest to cut down some bushes to stick up in front of me.

I am going to either buy or make a ghillie suit this year and I am not going to worry about cover.

atoler

movement is key, yes backdrop, shade, etc. make a difference, but most times you could stand up and a turkey will walk right by you as long as you don't move. Obviously the better your outline is broken up, and the deeper the shadow you're sitting in, the better.

My tip of the day, there should be no such thing as having a bird walk right by you without "getting a shot". swing on the bird, even if its gonna see you. most times they just freeze for several seconds offering you a shot. I've had plenty of birds come in from my right side, where I couldn't shoot them. I'll wait until they are in an clear lane, the more open the better, then I pivot on my knee and fire.

Thats why I don't shoot anything but a bead. sights and scopes make it a lot harder to do this.

atoler

Quote from: skos29 on February 12, 2013, 01:05:29 PM
Movement is key #1. Camo color or camoflage is immaterial period. Sit still and have a good field of view and open lanes of fire and you will kill turkeys. I wear a old pair of faded green Carhardtt pants and jacket most of the time and have birds walk past me comsistany. Camoflage is way overated for turkey hunting.

agreed. I hunt a lot of the time with khaki carhartts and a brown plaid shirt. The best turkey hunter i've ever known never wore a facemask or owned any camo.

gobbler777

Wear camo, don't move and have your gun up on your knees.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland