OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Old federals

Started by Fastcat, April 19, 2012, 01:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastcat

I found these in a dusty corner of a local hardware store. I bought them all for 10 bucks a box. I love the old Federals they remind me of when i first started turkey hunting with my uncle and mentor. I plan to shoot the 12s in my 835 with a pure gold and the 10s are waiting for my bps to get here in Two weeks. Anyone have experience with these shells? I shot a jake with one of the 2.25 oz 12 gauge  :OGturkeyhead:loads when i was 13 out if my uncles advantage 870 super mag. An experience i will never forget! I think i can still see stars and here bells ringing!

Philippe

Those are some of the best lead shells made, that is a good find! There is a place locally that has them for 18.99 a box, the guy is nuts.

BrowningGuy88

I know some 10 gauge shooters around my parts that would pay $18.99 for 10 and be happy to get them.

WildTigerTrout

The 10 ga. Fed. Premium 2 1/4 oz #6 is the same load I shoot in my Browning BPS 10 Ga. I have a feeling you are going to like them! :lol:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Fastcat

WildTigerTrout what kind of choke are you using and what kind of numbers are you getting?

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Philippe on April 19, 2012, 01:14:00 PM
Those are some of the best lead shells made, that is a good find! There is a place locally that has them for 18.99 a box, the guy is nuts.

Yes he is!  But...He'll get that price for em if he waits long enough. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Philippe

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 19, 2012, 07:31:05 PM
Quote from: Philippe on April 19, 2012, 01:14:00 PM

Yes he is!  But...He'll get that price for em if he waits long enough. 

LOL no he wont, those boxes havent moved in probably 10 years off that dusty ole shelf. He has a nice amount of them as well. I offered to buy them all for the right price, he claims they are marked at a good price even though he still has about 12 different price tags on them lol. Its funny to peel them off and see how much they were back then.

snapper1982

i know where a bunch of those are. 10's and 12's right along with old remingtons and winchesters.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: Fastcat on April 19, 2012, 06:25:12 PM
WildTigerTrout what kind of choke are you using and what kind of numbers are you getting?
I have an "original" Tru-Glo Strut Stopper .695 made by Mark Bansner. The choke is no longer manufactured though. I never really played the numbers game though suffice to say the load is effective at any reasonable range.  I did pattern it with turkey head targets but never counted pellets beyond how many hit the brain/ spine. I have killed several gobblers with the Big Ten and never had to shoot twice!  :lol:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

budtripp

Seeing those beautiful old boxes brings back good memories  :icon_thumright:

surehuntsalot

those are the shells I grew up turkey hunting with
I have some stored away in my ammo bunker
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Fastcat

I am looking forward to patterning the 12 gauges in my 835 with a pure gold!

SammyC

My old 1300 and Pittman choke loved em for sure.

gtrjames

I started hunting with the Federal Premium 3 in 2 0z #4....it would flatten a tom for sure.

tha bugman

+1
Quote from: budtripp on April 20, 2012, 02:08:46 AM
Seeing those beautiful old boxes brings back good memories  :icon_thumright: