Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What Is the Biggest Mistake Hunter make at 1st Light

Started by Hootowl, April 03, 2012, 10:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B-Rad1

It's always been one step too many for me. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

callwinner11

i will try to take all theis good info to the woods with me.. i think i call to much... last year was set up real cose to 1 roosted and he flew down and went the other way... i am still learning  and maybe someday i will get to pull the trigger!!!!!!!!!

bmhern

Calling too much, calling too loud, not taking time to set up where u can kill him, I know this because I am guilty of all.  Now I call softly shut up and let him decide what to do next.

cluck

1. Don't sleep.2.Don't lean your weapon against tree.(Drill sargent about choked me to death teaching me that one.)3.Know his favorite place to go. You won't even need to call. They got habits. Get in before daylight. When you go in early, keep looking up, you might just walk right under him. Hope for a full moon. No lights. Let him make the mistakes.   cluck

Nolehoe

Statistically speaking the mistake I've made the most has been getting out of bed!!! :morning:

FloppinTom

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on April 05, 2012, 03:30:20 PM
Calling too much to hot gobblers on the roost.

Guys don't realize that they are diminishing their chances of success the more they make him gobble up there in that tree.

I agree with this ^^^^^^
Someone once asked me do you want to listen to him gobble or kill him? Dont remember who asked me I wish I did it was good info.
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

brittman

Calling too much if calling at all.

I had a Tom land in my lab a few years back.  I never hit my call once.  Two hens were in the area. Both called once from the tree and both were quiet on fly down. They flew down separate and 5-10 minutes before the gobbler.  They walked around the area and then grouped together and moved maybe 50 yards on the other side of the gobbler's roost tree.  They yelped on the ground maybe once and softly at that.  The Tom faced them on the roost when he gobbled, but chose to turn 180 degrees and fly away from the hens (right to me).  Maybe he wanted to make them come to him.  I had to stand to keep him from flying into me.  Dead at 10 paces.

I have shot a few birds coming off the roost, but none ever flew straight down to my calling they all flew out and walked back in.

L.F. Cox

Quote from: Hootowl on April 03, 2012, 10:29:46 PM
I saw this On Turkey Thugs today , and I thought That I myself Call to Much, or Maybe even try and get that extra few more steps to there roost?

What you see on that show has little bearing on real life turkey hunting....the biggest mistake people make is being in too big a hurry.

memphistiger02

I am still learning so thanks for all the tips. I am practicing all of my calls at the house now.

olejake

Early in my turkey-hunting education, I thought that calling early and getting ole Tom's attention would make him come to me..then a veteran taught me something that changed my game and made me more successful..,now,hardly ever, will I call to a Tom until I know he is on the ground.. my main goal is to slip in,set up and shut up until after fly-down..then I will go to work on him 

Huntnwork

I sometimes forget my toilet paper in the truck and orphan one of gloves or lose a pair of drawers

hgoutdoors

Wow... I've learned more in the last 15 minutes reading all of these responses than I did all of last year. Great thread!!!

cahaba

Quote from: Uncle Tom on March 03, 2013, 11:01:16 PM
:toothy12:Guys, you won't believe this one but I had a longbeard.....and I mean 10" plus jump in my blind set-up one morning after this hot hen calls I was making.. flew straight up, I fired didn't touch a thing. Had laid my gun down in my lap to get out a scratch call and was using a scratch pad on it...would not make a sound... got it to working ... real light whines & purrs... looked up and here comes two longbeards running straight to me...one jumps thru an opening directly on my right leg...grab my gun ... fire over my shoulder ..bird untouched. Swing my gun back around and there stands his buddy 5 to 10 yds. front of me. As I got on him he takes off running...dogging my lead ... never touched him. Felt like a fool.  Emptied my gun in less than 5 seconds. Moral of story... never take your eyes off of incoming birds to make a call...and never your gun in your lap while working a call. Trust me, it can happen real fast.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Frank G

Quote from: Nolehoe on February 24, 2014, 06:02:21 PM
Statistically speaking the mistake I've made the most has been getting out of bed!!! :morning:
:TooFunny: Have been guilty of that myself. Far and away calling to much early or at all. Lack of patience gets a lot of hunters "no bird". If you can't sit still get in a pop up blind.  :icon_thumright:

Frank G  In Tennessee

ilbucksndux

Standing there to long trying to decide which one to go after.
Gary Bartlow