Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What Is the Biggest Mistake Hunter make at 1st Light

Started by Hootowl, April 03, 2012, 10:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twyoung0

Probably agreeing to hunt with my over aggressive best friend who thinks he is the best turkey hunter in the woods year after year. Thinking he will listen to me just once, considering I have more "bone" on the wall..... :TrainWreck1:

Old Timer53

retiretofish

Telling my friend to stay home or leave his calls in the truck..he's retired AT&T and still thinks he can talk  them into anything. Maybe this year his wife won't let him go

MS!48

I can't hear that great so mine is getting to close on accident because I misjudge the distance. Why I like to hunt with my buddy he's blind and I'm deaf what a team lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Red Clay

Not going to the potty after that cup of coffee.

yankeedeerslayer

Quote from: Spring_Woods on April 04, 2012, 07:18:34 AM
Quote from: jakebird on April 04, 2012, 06:03:46 AM
I have to restrain myself from calling too loud. I often practice louder than i should call in the woods. Another big mistake is comitting to a bird too early. You hear that first bird, way above you and half a mile east and want to take off and get on him on his first gobble. Three qtrs of the way there you bump two silent roosted birds, realize you'll never scale that ridge without climbing gear, and another bird starts tearing it up where you first started. I know this because this is invariably how my dreams or rather nightmares often play out in the preseason ...  :D

Omg...do we hunt together?!

jakebird could have been my mentor. Done this more times than I care to admit. I was always afraid of not being in position at first light and before flydown. I don't worry so much about it now if I don't know where they are roosted I will just wait. I will give it at least 10 or even 30 minutes from the first gobble before I start off on a bird.
US Army Vet

hookedspur

SSSlllooowww DDoowwnn  be patient don't hurry any thing on your hunt
its a lot easier to do the older I get .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

surehuntsalot

poor set up

no matter how close you get to the bird,no matter if you call to loud,to much or what ever,if you set up wrong,you have lost before the battle begans
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

TnRidgeRunner

Not realizing when the birds are off roost...and setup. If you have the chance to be where they want to go anyway...the calling is easy. Topography and education of yourself about the birds is paramount.

ssettle

For me It was getting busted trying to set decoys just as it's breaking light. Or getting to where I hunt little later than I planned.

srmturk

This was a GREAT thread...so much in common and to learn from

ridgerunner

Quote from: Huntnwork on March 03, 2014, 08:08:18 PM
I sometimes forget my toilet paper in the truck and orphan one of gloves or lose a pair of drawers

Been there done that.... not fun..but it has proved lucky for me and my hunting buddy over the years, we call it " The Lucky SH%#.... Every time one of us has to answer the call, we score a bird that morning...go figure.

steveo

Trying to make it happen too fast and not letting things play out .......patience is key, find myself sometimes pushing the issue if on public land for fear of getting cut off. Works sometimes and backfires other times.

dfresh55

ill be honest i call to much and too loud... those gobbles just get my fired up!