turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

disgusted!

Started by bayou country, March 17, 2012, 05:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayou country

Went up to Alabama for opening day and started working a mature tom that was hammering on the roost and then pretty much gobbled at anything for the next two hours. We got him to come within about 60 yards, but then he clammed up and he vanished.

Day two, more of the same lots and lots of gobbling, but he wouldn't come closer than about 60 or so yards. He looked like a nice mature bird too probably 20+ pounds.

Day three, got even closer to where he was firing away up on the roost. Got all set up when the bird started to PUT PUT and then BOOM! Some pice of trash snuck in from the opposite side and SHOT HIM ON THE ROOST...... This person is a disgrace. What do you get out of this?

That old Tom deserved better than to be killed by an ignorant outlaw.

R AJ

He got the bird and you did not. I don't care for roost shooters either. I know one old timer who had to be at work early and could not hunt in the afternoons due to game laws.

He was good at roosting birds in the afternoon and slipping in on them the next morning. This is actually pretty hard to do. This was his way of getting his 3 bird limit at the time.

I know that this method is frowned upon but it was one way to put meat on the table. Baiting is another sore subject with me and it happens too often, even to the point of keeping birds on their property instead of yours.
I hope you get one soon.

Flydown

Yep,That sucks and is a very CHEAP way to kill a turkey. On the bright side it does sound like you had a very good couple of days in Bama! Good luck the rest of your season.

remmy1187

Sorry to hear that,  that really sucks bad.   :angry9:  Dont understand how people can do that, where is the satisfaction in that nonsense.  Good luck to ya!

Bustabeak

Sorry to hear that for you. We had one hammering opening day coming to us. Something scared him and they flew back up about 50 yards from us. Easily we could  sneak over and shoot him right out of the tree but.... What fun is that? I just don't understand why someone would do that. Again, sorry to hear that for you.

Crappiepro

That does suck!! I dont understand the joy from shooting a roosted bird either. I think I would have had to say something to the guy! I really don't see any sport in taking a shot like that.
I bet the other guy knew you were there and rushed to get it first.
Good luck with the rest of your season, sounds like your in the right spot anyway.

Fullfan

Yes sir that does suck, sounds like you were hunting in PA.
Don't gobble at me...

turkey_slayer

Had that happen one time to a bird I had been chasing for a while. Roosted him the evening before and for setup close the next morning. Gave a soft tree call and he started going ballistic. About 10 minutes later BOOM and I heard him crash to the ground. The worse feeling came over me then I got pissed but left to avoid a confrontation. That's about as bad as someone getting in between ya and the bird and shooting it when they know dang good and well you were setup on the bird.

Flydown

Quote from: RAJ on March 17, 2012, 06:01:21 PM
He got the bird and you did not. I don't care for roost shooters either. I know one old timer who had to be at work early and could not hunt in the afternoons due to game laws.

He was good at roosting birds in the afternoon and slipping in on them the next morning. This is actually pretty hard to do. This was his way of getting his 3 bird limit at the time.

I know that this method is frowned upon but it was one way to put meat on the table. Baiting is another sore subject with me and it happens too often, even to the point of keeping birds on their property instead of yours.
I hope you get one soon.

I have read your comment a few times and I still do not understand what you are trying to say, and before I trash talk your way of thinking I just wanted you to explain yourself a little better. You said " I don't care for roost shooters either" But then you said "I know that this method is frowned upon but it was one way to put meat on the table."     I'm sorry but I'm confused. It would be easier to go to the grocery store and buy some potted meat and crackers,,,,,,,,Its cheaper than shotgun shells and gas. :begging: :begging:

Cutt

Not sure what others get from shooting them off the roost? Happens here all too often also, can't tell you how many birds I have heard in the trees over the years, followed by a gunshot before you know they are on the ground?  Hopefully your luck will change?

timbrhuntr

Ya that was confusing. Especially the part about it being  pretty hard to do. Last year in Michigan 3 mornings in a row and one evening I could have shot a bird on the roost didn't seem to hard. Not as hard as watching them flydown and proceed to go the other way.

pseshooter300

Sorry to here that I hope your season is better as it goes on. Keep your head up
Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

rawalley

I think he means that it is legal, he does not agree with the method, but to each his own.
(I am strongly against roost shooting so dont try and twist my words.)
STAY HOME!

Roostem33

Just don't see what the fun in that would be! I believe I would just go to the store and get something to eat. Jmo!
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

swamp_bird89

Quote from: rawalley on March 17, 2012, 09:54:50 PM
I think he means that it is legal, he does not agree with the method, but to each his own.
(I am strongly against roost shooting so dont try and twist my words.)

Agreed