turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

disgusted!

Started by bayou country, March 17, 2012, 05:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillmp63

Someone shot a turkey and it's not your chosen way to shoot it. Get over it, no laws or regulations broken.

R AJ

Quote from: Flydown on March 17, 2012, 08:59:42 PM
Quote from: RAJ on March 17, 2012, 06:01:21 PM
He got the bird and you did not. I don't care for roost shooters either. I know one old timer who had to be at work early and could not hunt in the afternoons due to game laws.

He was good at roosting birds in the afternoon and slipping in on them the next morning. This is actually pretty hard to do. This was his way of getting his 3 bird limit at the time.

I know that this method is frowned upon but it was one way to put meat on the table. Baiting is another sore subject with me and it happens too often, even to the point of keeping birds on their property instead of yours.
I hope you get one soon.

I have read your comment a few times and I still do not understand what you are trying to say, and before I trash talk your way of thinking I just wanted you to explain yourself a little better. You said " I don't care for roost shooters either" But then you said "I know that this method is frowned upon but it was one way to put meat on the table."     I'm sorry but I'm confused. It would be easier to go to the grocery store and buy some potted meat and crackers,,,,,,,,Its cheaper than shotgun shells and gas. :begging: :begging:

I am simply saying what the person did to kill wild turkeys; call it stalking if you will. I wonder how much better it is to crawl down a ditch and then pop up and shoot one in a chufa patch than shooting a roosted bird. I can't help what the guy did and I said that I do not condone this , so what the heck else is there for me to explain.
This is what he did , not me. If you are still miffed just delete my post , fine by me.

cannonball

Better luck next time. Keep after them!

bayou country

Quote from: hillmp63 on March 18, 2012, 07:48:46 PM
Someone shot a turkey and it's not your chosen way to shoot it. Get over it, no laws or regulations broken.

No laws broken huh? How about being an ethical hunter? Anybody who does this is a disgrace.

Eric Gregg

This is getting heated :TrainWreck1:
Let me remind everyone that it was this very approach hunters used in the mid 1900's that almost made the wild turkey extinct. Sometimes what is ethical isn't necessarily what is lawful. As sportsmen we are constantly under scrutiny by anti-hunters, animal rights activist, and the many people who want to take guns away because they think that we are too stupid to have one. Let's not prove them right by our actions........
If you can't call a turkey up....learn how. I am busting my butt every year to kill my first turkey, and when I finally get to haul one out on my back you better believe that I will have earned it.

rawalley

Quote from: bayou country on March 18, 2012, 09:42:45 PM

No laws broken huh? How about being an ethical hunter? Anybody who does this is a disgrace.
This is about the dumbest thing I have ever read.  I highly doubt that anyone who takes the time to read a turkey hunting forum everyday would be a roost shooter, but if he or anyone else is then I have no right to judge him.
STAY HOME!

Gobble!

Someone said the e word
:TrainWreck1:

Sherrell

Sorry you got messed up...I know the feeling.years ago I roosted a bird and that is where the disaster started.the next morning I set up in the swamp long before first light.as it started to crack light I gave a tree yelp with my voice and the bird gobbled thirty yards in front of me from a old cypress.I had messed up and got in too close in the dark.as it got lighter I found I was in the middle of the roost with a juvenile gobbler roosted in the cypress tree I was against and several hens in other trees.watched as the bird walked,gobbled and displayed from his limb.experience told me that when flydown time came he would no doubt glide out on the fern flat and there'd be no way to call him back within range.I was telling myself that he should be glad it was me set up on him rather than one of the local roost shooters as I never needed nor will ever have to shoot one out of a tree.he gobbled 6 to 7 more times when the swamp rings with a shotgun blast that nearly caused me to jump a foot off the ground.I watch in horror as my bird hits every limb coming down.a guy steps out from behind a cypress tree to lay claim to his prize,only problem is,he doesn't know I'm setting thirty yards from the tree.he had beat me into the swamp and was just waiting for the roost to get some light.with me not using a flashlight on the way in and keeping quiet,he never knew I had came in.

I will go into no other detail about this incident since this is a family site,but one thing you can rest assured of is he will never de-limb another bird and may have just gave up on turkeys all together!!!

HunterMan

There is a differance between a Turkey Hunter and a Turkey Killer

VA_Birdhunter

Sorry this has happened....unfortunately this has become a norm for some these days.  The numbers game have taken over what its all about the "Hunt" and the "Experience".  Some are so over taken in having to be able to show of a bird they have bagged even though they know they did not win the battle in the woods and I would say them shooting it off the roost will never come up in there conversation when showing it off.    I do hope I never get to that point in my life I half to do this....I've been set up many times where I could have shot a gobbler off a limb but chose to follow what my dad taught me...and that was respect and ethics.   To  each there own is right.....but I don't half to agree with it and I don't......I will go save some money and buy a butter ball before I do that!

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

lightsoutcalls

Wow.  What a way to introduce yourself on a turkey hunting forum.  A wise man once said, "you never get a second chance to make a first impression."

You ever get the feeling you are being watched?  In this case, it may be well founded.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Sherrell

I suppose you are a newbie to the art of turkey hunting as well.

We stress a art here...de-limbing is or never will be a art!

eaglea1

Quote from: TeocTom on March 18, 2012, 11:07:30 PM
This is getting heated :TrainWreck1:
Let me remind everyone that it was this very approach hunters used in the mid 1900's that almost made the wild turkey extinct. Sometimes what is ethical isn't necessarily what is lawful. As sportsmen we are constantly under scrutiny by anti-hunters, animal rights activist, and the many people who want to take guns away because they think that we are too stupid to have one. Let's not prove them right by our actions........
If you can't call a turkey up....learn how. I am busting my butt every year to kill my first turkey, and when I finally get to haul one out on my back you better believe that I will have earned it.

You said it, I totally agree with this.. Turkey hunting should be just that, and not turkey shooting

DirtNap647

rawalley

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on March 19, 2012, 10:03:58 AM

Wow.  What a way to introduce yourself on a turkey hunting forum.  A wise man once said, "you never get a second chance to make a first impression."

You ever get the feeling you are being watched?  In this case, it may be well founded.
STAY HOME!