OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wal mart lead

Started by bushwhacker, March 13, 2012, 01:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushwhacker

Anyone have the scoop on the winchester shells at walmart. I went down today to buy my  weekly box for $12.47 and they had some new one's out. Black box that says XX magnum, but they were in the high velocity loading, 3.5/2/6's. I thought the XX magnums were in the 2 1/4 oz loads for 3.5 inch, and 2 oz for the 3 inch.

stinkpickle

Were they black shells?  They're probably just the old HV's with a new box design.  Most of their ammo appears to be getting redesigned packaging.  They must be classifying the HV's under the "Double X" name, also.  You can see an example in the new Thermacell rebate offer...

http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/pdf/special-offers/2012%20Spring%20Turkey%20Promo%20-%20Redemption%20Form.pdf

bushwhacker

They were in that new box. I didn't think there was any difference, just seemed odd that they were hv's in that XX box.

Philippe

Walmart does not carry the real XX 2 1/4oz loads. They seem to be getting harder to find lately as well. My local gs wont even order any lead shells this year, claims he cant sell them lol.

mcgruff1533

Turkey ammo selection at my local Wal Mart sucks.    All they have are 3" Winchester XX shells with #4 shot.    I've asked them to expand their selection, but they just don't care.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Philippe on March 13, 2012, 04:54:03 PM
Walmart does not carry the real XX 2 1/4oz loads. They seem to be getting harder to find lately as well. My local gs wont even order any lead shells this year, claims he cant sell them lol.

They absolutley do carry the real XX loads.  Winchester redesigned the box for this year and it is now black like the Supreme HVs/  They should have it in 5s and 6s.  Nothing has changed but the color.  Seriously guys, it isn't like the world is flipping on its axis here.  They changed the color of abox and it just throws folks off that bad?  C'mon fellas.  We're adults here...aren't we?
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

stinkpickle

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 13, 2012, 06:16:51 PM

They absolutley do carry the real XX loads.  Winchester redesigned the box for this year and it is now black like the Supreme HVs/  They should have it in 5s and 6s.  Nothing has changed but the color.  Seriously guys, it isn't like the world is flipping on its axis here.  They changed the color of abox and it just throws folks off that bad?  C'mon fellas.  We're adults here...aren't we?

Not every Walmart carries them.

Philippe

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 13, 2012, 06:16:51 PM

I have not seen one walmart carry the 3.5" 2 1/4oz XX shells. I've looked in about 15 different area walmarts, they are all 2oz versions. The XX shells i was speaking about will be marked XXT12L6, the ones you are probably seeing are STH12356.

mightyjoeyoung

Ya know what?  Didn't even see the 2.25 ounce referrence!  All that WalMart carries now seems to be the 2 ounce HV loads, not the 2.25 ouncers.  Come to think of it, I didn't see ANY 2.25 ounce winchester loads at the local Gander mountain or Dick's this past Saturday either!  Wonder what's goin on?  They gonna try and fix something that isn't broke like Federal tried to do with the FC wad? ::)

Philippe

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 13, 2012, 07:41:00 PM
Ya know what?  Didn't even see the 2.25 ounce referrence!  All that WalMart carries now seems to be the 2 ounce HV loads, not the 2.25 ouncers.  Come to think of it, I didn't see ANY 2.25 ounce winchester loads at the local Gander mountain or Dick's this past Saturday either!  Wonder what's goin on?  They gonna try and fix something that isn't broke like Federal tried to do with the FC wad? ::)

I actually talked to a local GS about it today, he wont even order more of the 2.25oz loads, said he cant even move lead shells, much less the hevi shot with the price it is going for. Said he will be forced to raise prices on those 2.25oz loads to about 18.50-22.00 a box if he orders any :o, sorry but i am not paying 2.00+ dollars a shell for lead.

mightyjoeyoung

Gotta tell ya, as good as the 2 ounce HV loads are patterning for me, I  just don't miss the extra 1/4 ounce.  We patterned some of the HVs  in the X's dad's new 870 SP SM Sunday and it just loved the 6's in the ported .655 Ventilator I gave him.  Beautifull pattern to 40 yards. 

Philippe

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 13, 2012, 08:28:23 PM
Gotta tell ya, as good as the 2 ounce HV loads are patterning for me, I  just don't miss the extra 1/4 ounce.  We patterned some of the HVs  in the X's dad's new 870 SP SM Sunday and it just loved the 6's in the ported .655 Ventilator I gave him.  Beautifull pattern to 40 yards. 

Just for kicks im gonna test out some of the old Fed grand slam 3.5 2oz 6's in my 835 with the star dot and pg .670 and see what happens.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Philippe on March 13, 2012, 08:29:41 PM
Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 13, 2012, 08:28:23 PM

Just for kicks im gonna test out some of the old Fed grand slam 3.5 2oz 6's in my 835 with the star dot and pg .670 and see what happens.

Me too.  I just shot them through my new TruGlo Bone Collector .670 and they shot great.  Just got my new StarDot (Colonial Arms) Super Full in this weekend and I'm chompin at the bit to see what she'll do.

surehuntsalot

guess I better keep an eye on the 2-1/4oz Winchester and Federal shells that I have,since they are becoming  hard to find
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

trkehunr93

I found some Win XX 3" 5's at my local gunshop for $9.99 a box.  They were mispriced, should have been $14.99 a box.  I grabbed 2 boxes and my 500 loves them thru the Kicks GT .655.  Our Gander Mountain has the Win XX 3.5" shells in 4 and 5 shot for $19.99 a box.