OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

3 1/2 inch shells vs 3 inch any conclusive evidence

Started by jasperjet, March 10, 2012, 11:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasperjet

Fellas fillings are expensive to replace.Do any of you feel undergunned with 3 inch shells? Its just a 1/4 of an ounce difference going out the barrel but on the other end thats a different story with the 3 1/2 inchers. How much are we giving up in distance.

Shellwaster

I used to shoot 3.5" shells but have since found a gun, shell & choke combination that allows me to shoot 3" that throws a pattern that satisfies my needs. I'm not mad enough at turkeys to shoot 3.5" - ers at them.

stinkpickle

I don't think I've ever felt undergunned shooting 3"ers.

Philippe

I'll shoot 3's at them no problem, hell i started out smackin everything with a 2 3/4 wingmaster. But turkies do make me angry so i preferr me some 3 1/2 2 1/4oz 6's :fud:

Half fast

Quote from: Shellwaster on March 10, 2012, 02:55:24 PM
I used to shoot 3.5" shells but have since found a gun, shell & choke combination that allows me to shoot 3" that throws a pattern that satisfies my needs. I'm not mad enough at turkeys to shoot 3.5" - ers at them.
Are ya gonna tell us you hot set-up?????? :funnyturkey:

Shellwaster

Quote from: Half fast on March 10, 2012, 03:40:39 PM
Quote from: Shellwaster on March 10, 2012, 02:55:24 PM
Are ya gonna tell us you hot set-up?????? :funnyturkey:

I wouldn't call them hot but they work for what I need to do. Some may want a more dense pattern.
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,18228.msg201457.html#msg201457

And most recently
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,20232.0.html

Todd1700

Do you "need" 3 1/2 inch shells to kill turkeys? Naaa, you can certainly find a 3 inch shell and choke combo that will give you a good killing pattern at 40 yards.

That said however, I have never personally witnessed the often internet repeated phenomenon of a 3 inch shell out patterning a 3 1/2 inch shell of the exact same type from the same gun and choke. Not saying it hasn't ever happened but through 4 different guns, 20 different chokes and Lord knows how many different turkey shells loaded with lead or denser than lead shot I have never seen it happen once in any of my shooting. And that encompasses hundreds of shots down range over the years.  Never witnessed it happen with any of my friends turkey guns either.

WildTigerTrout

Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

cannonball

I shoot 3.5, but I wouldn't have a problem going to the woods with 3" if I had patterned my gun with them prior.

reynolds243

I hunt with a Stoeger M2000 and Stoeger M3500 so the 2000 only shoots 3" and the 3500 i shoot 3.5 from. I use the 2000 more often then not while turkey hunting and the 3" does fine for me.

If you have a 3" shell that will throw a good killing pattern then there is no real NEED to shoot a 3.5 shell.

I do for some reason have my own issue with shooting a 3" shell from a gun that can shoot a 3.5 but thats just me, just something mental about it to me for some reason.

surehuntsalot

when I was mostly hunting with my 835,I bought it ti throw the most pellets you could throw at the time,so it got feed 3.5" shells,you don't feel them when you shoot at a bird anyway
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

WyoHunter

Turkeys will have to get 30 pounds heavier and stand 2 feet taller before I'd get a 3.5" 12 ga. to kill them. My 3" 12 ga. hits me hard enough as it is!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

beaverslayer

If I were trying to put 300 holes in a ten inch circle at 40 yards I'd feel under gunned with a 3" vs 3.5.  However, you can kill turkeys with a 410 if need be as long as you limit your range.  I've limited out 3 years in a row with a 20 GA while limiting my range to 40 yards which is what most people do with a 12 GA. So to answer your question no I wouldn't feel under gunned with a 3" vs 3.5".  Not sure why anyone ever thought it necessary for turkeys.  If I remember correctly, the 3.5 came on the scene when steel shot became manditory for migratory birds; steel shot sucked so bad initially that a 3.5 was needed for heavier payloads.

Gooserbat

Shoot whichever one you like.  Both acount for more birds than you can count each saeson. Personally I will usually use 3.5 in my "big" gun and 3" in my other gun because that's what chamber each of them has got.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

K9Doc

U only give up a handfull of pellets, but I cant seem to make myself buy or even shoot a 3" shell at turkeys.  All my guns are 3.5" magnums.  I guess its a mental block, but I feel better slinging more pellets.   :fud: :OGturkeyhead:
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.