turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3 1/2 inch shells vs 3 inch any conclusive evidence

Started by jasperjet, March 10, 2012, 11:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

I use both.   But I will be the first to admit from my findings that 3.5" loads with 2.25oz of shot will put more shot downcentral at 40yds inside the 10 and 20" more times than not.  Those that say otherwise more than likely aren't shooting the right choke for the 3.5" loads.  That's coming from doing a lot of shooting with each.  

mossy835

For turkeys 3 inch for me one shot one dead bird each time less recoil. Now I do take my time and place the shot properly.

joker

Like everyone else said. 3 1/2" will put more pellets down range Than the 3" and either extend your range a little or give you a larger pattern with more wiggle room. With today's HTL offerings a 20ga also makes a great turkey gun. A semi can tame a lot of that 3 1/2" recoil (especially a gas gun). But it is relay a personal choice. Some guys like maximum power other guys will give up a little performance for a lighter gun or one that kicks less. Just choose the gun that you feel suits your needs and know your limitations. A 10ga and a 410ga both have limitations. As long as you know them you will be fine.

Trevor2

Quote from: beaverslayer on March 10, 2012, 10:25:04 PM
If I were trying to put 300 holes in a ten inch circle at 40 yards I'd feel under gunned with a 3" vs 3.5.  However, you can kill turkeys with a 410 if need be as long as you limit your range.  I've limited out 3 years in a row with a 20 GA while limiting my range to 40 yards which is what most people do with a 12 GA. So to answer your question no I wouldn't feel under gunned with a 3" vs 3.5".  Not sure why anyone ever thought it necessary for turkeys.  If I remember correctly, the 3.5 came on the scene when steel shot became manditory for migratory birds; steel shot sucked so bad initially that a 3.5 was needed for heavier payloads.
I dont feel undergunned at all shooting 3s. I know I can kill with a 3" so why the extra killing power on my end lol
Strutstopper

Oconeeguy

I am curious if the pattern would be degraded in a 3 1/2 gun shooting a 3" shell when compared with the same brand gun chambered for 3" and shooting the same brand 3" shell. Might the distance between the end of the shell and the forcing cone make a difference (which also brings up the issue of lengthend forcing cone changing the pattering ability, but that's another post waiting in the wings) ?

beaverslayer

Actually that question has been answered a few times on here if you read back through some of the old posts. Try doing a search on it.

Tail Feathers

My 835 likes the 3.5" shells better so that's what I shoot.

I check patterns, try new shells and sight in each year, shooting from 6-12 shots usually.  I use a shoulder pad there to reduce felt recoil.  Why take the recoil if you don't have to?

I figure the three or four shots fired at turkeys each year isn't too much to handle.  I don't feel recoil when shooting a bird. :fud:  I just want to make clean kills at ranges to 40 yds or so.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

kyduck1

The way I see it you can definitely kill turkey up to 40 yds with a 2 3/4 in shell.  So the amount of shot in a 3 inch is bonus to put more pellets on target which would effectively increase your odds of lethal pellets.  So by using a 3.5 inch you are using more pellets than the 3...so it would make sense you have improved odds with a 3.5 over the 3.  However, you also have to draw the limit at some point in the size of shells at some point.  Of course there are many things to consider with a particular load--faster loads, more shot, blends, lead vs hevi.  This is not evidence based on any work that I have done, but makes sense. 

oldcreekhunter

ive killed them with 2 3/4 in remington duplex 4x6 shells, 3in winchester high velocity #6's, and 3 1/2in winchester hv #6's...going to try the 3.5in mangum blends and hevi 6's this year.

FttFttVroom!

3's will get the job done nicely......especially in the Hevi #7's.  I got Hevi 3-2-6 to shoot 167@40 out of my 870 SM.  3.5-2.25-6 only put up about ten more in the circle at 40, so no real drop off there for the 3 inch version.

BrowningGuy88

Been killing them for years with a 3" 20 Gauge so no a 3.5" mag is not needed. That said, I still have a hankering for an Sp-10 or an SX3 running Nitros for those cursed field birds that I just couldn't tell you how far I really shot them on OG.

TauntoHawk

I can say shooting 3" HEVI's.. undergunned has never entered my mind

I dont think a bird can feel the difference between 40 or 44 pellets smacking him upside the head
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hooks' n' Beards'

I Bought a Mag shotgun to shoot 3.5" But i dont believe its needed,But i Will not be going back to 3" Ever again.

rebelman

I really thought there would be more pattern information in this post.
I have limited experience to the guns I have on hand but this is what my results have been:

Browning A5 w/ 24" Hastings Straight rifled barrel
Carlson .665 choke
3" Mag Blend
212 pellets

Benella SuperNova with 24" barrel
Jelly Head Choke
3.5" #6 hevi 13
222 pellets

So in my case, the 3.5" shot 10 more pellets. That was not enough for me to justify the shoulder raping of the 3.5". I may get another 3.5" gun one day but there is absolutely no need in it.

reynolds243

Quote from: rebelman on March 14, 2012, 02:19:05 PM
I really thought there would be more pattern information in this post.
I have limited experience to the guns I have on hand but this is what my results have been:

Browning A5 w/ 24" Hastings Straight rifled barrel
Carlson .665 choke
3" Mag Blend
212 pellets

Benella SuperNova with 24" barrel
Jelly Head Choke
3.5" #6 hevi 13
222 pellets

So in my case, the 3.5" shot 10 more pellets. That was not enough for me to justify the shoulder raping of the 3.5". I may get another 3.5" gun one day but there is absolutely no need in it.

i understand what you are saying, however what i dont get is that is not really a comparison.  what does the 3" #6 shoot from the Nova ect...ect.. that would give you the actual comparison.

again i see what you are getting at between the 2 just an odd comparison to me.

for example i have a stoeger M2000 and Stoeger M3500

same shell, same choke shoots below.

2000 - 3" Magblend = 220 at 40yds
3500 - 3.5" Magblend = 268 at 40yds.

fairly big difference but BOTH will kill them dead so i hunt with the M2000 most of the time.