turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

which winchester lead load?

Started by fountain2, March 09, 2012, 10:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fountain2

Looking at the 3" lead loads to play with some.  Which load seems to be the crowd favorite...the 3/2/6 red hull/black box or the 3/1 7/8/6 black hull/black box?   I already had the 2oz loads and saw the thermacell add so figured I would ho ahead and get another to make it final.

Which seems to be the netter performer?  Im gonna be shooting these through an 835 for testing.   If they shoot well, what would be a good pattern at 40?  Not even sure what's considered good numbers.  I also plan to shoot a federal fc 3.5" 6...really hope it does well cause I will shoot them if they do.  While we at it...what would be good for that load?

With hevi going up, I just can't stand not to have cheaper alternatives.   Gotta give em a go since I already have em.  May can use them and save some hevi in the 12, but the 20 is slanging tss :fud:

Nick_The_Tinkerer

Actually I would like to see results of this as well....

I've been thinking I'll shoot 3.5 just becasue....I can and prob will get more lead down range...

BTW I found these another tread....

Win.#6 XX 3.5 2 1/4 oz = 145 in 10"@40
Win.#6 HV 3.5 2 oz = 98in 10"@40
Win.#5 HV 3.5 2oz = 127in 10"@40

this was from a 935 with TruGlo SSX 670 choke.

Trevor2

Win High Velocity period. Best lead load I have shot.
Strutstopper

okiegobblers

rcpigg65

Fountian you will probably want to try all the loads you mentioned . my 3" bps wont pattern the HV winchesters nearly as well as the 3/2/5 or 3/2/6 red hull winchesters in the black box or the 3/2/5 federals thats witha choke in the 670 range , but my franchi with a 655 choke loves the HV winchester load in 6's . I cant tell any difference in killing power with the slower lead loads just a lot more holes in the target .  might just be that the back bored barrel with that choke likes the slower load . I had one of the older 835's years ago and that gun loved the old federal gold and blue box load but not the winchester as much .

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: okiegobblers on March 10, 2012, 04:26:17 PM
Quote from: Trevor2 on March 10, 2012, 04:13:06 PM
Win High Velocity period. Best lead load I have shot.

X2
X3. The "Old" Federal Premium pre-FC are great also.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Longshanks

My best results are with Win XX 3/2/6's. 125-130

The HV 3" 6's and 17/8 6's will both turn 110-115 out of my lead shooter.

Win 6's are all killers out of my 870.

surehuntsalot

my 835 will shoot the black HV real good,but she loves the red XX magnums to death
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

fountain2

i have both and by mistake, the hv is 1 3/4 oz not 1 7/8.  i have me now and will shoot em both hopefully tomorrow.  i got a lot of different loads im shooting in the 835:  hevi 13 3.5" 7s, hevi 13 3.6" 6, fed fc 3.5" lead 6, and the 2 winchester 3" lead 6 loads.  if i can get good even patterns with a good count then i will go with the lead and rat hole the hevi.  the main gun this year is the 20 with tss anyways, so this is the second man gun

Kylongspur88

Winn HV have consistently patterned better than all the others in my Remington's. The other Winn loads are good too. I ran 3.5 #6 federals through every choke I had and the best I did was a very spotty 120 at 40 yards. The old federals are solid shells  and patterned well in my 12 and 20, I just don't want to shoot my stockpile up.  :-\

GeorgeJR

Part Number STH1235
Black Shell, 12 Gauge 3 inch 1300 FPS 1-3/4 oz #5 shot.  #5's give you a balance between # of shot and energy at range IMO...  From what a few stores noted it tends to sell faster then other loads and was first recommended to me by a good DNR friend of mine and in his gun was very very deadly!

I don't think you can go wrong with #6, #4 only concern would be pattern, and do you really need 4 on a turkey at 40 or less yards?

surehuntsalot

patterned the old 835 this afternoon with some 3.5" Winchester black HV shells and a .679 Truglo GS
the first shot was a 2oz #6    245 hits in a 12 " circle
the second shot was a 2oz#4   152 hits in a 12" circle                                                     ' 
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

fountain2

i shot the winchester 3/2/6 today in my 835 and got 143 with them...it was actually the best patterning load i shot.  having bbl issues i was happy with this shot.  im gonna try again tomorrow and see if it stays consistent.  i sure hope it does.

Philippe

Did you give the Winchester XXT12L6's a try?

fountain2

which is that?  i have the 3/2/6 and the 3/1 3/4/6.  i did not shoot the hv 1 3/4 oz today, but will tomorrow.