turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

camoflauge or leafy camo...?

Started by DirtNap647, March 09, 2012, 08:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

which do you think helps break your outline to a turkey better camoflauge or the leafy camo...been debating on a new suit but everyone is telling me to get that leafy camo seems like it would get ya hung up in the brush

WVhuntEER

I agree that any camo will work if you are still.  That being said,  I have had some pretty cool experiences with birds getting super close since I've started using leafy camo.  I had a jake almost walk on my lap last year which made me a believer.  I have also had birds bust me in regular camo which lead me to think it couldn't hurt to use leafy.  I hope this helps!

WVhuntEER

Let me add one more thing,  I now have two different leafy suits.  One in obsession for when it greens up and one in infinity mainly to use in deer season.   The Cabelas leafy suit is awesome and comes with a mask.  I highly recommend it.

RemingtonRules

Quote from: WVhuntEER on March 09, 2012, 09:28:39 AM
I agree that any camo will work if you are still.  That being said,  I have had some pretty cool experiences with birds getting super close since I've started using leafy camo.  I had a jake almost walk on my lap last year which made me a believer.  I have also had birds bust me in regular camo which lead me to think it couldn't hurt to use leafy.  I hope this helps!

:z-winnersmiley:

My experience as well.  I have had some up close encounters when wearing leafy camo.

South Alabama

I am a recent convert to leafy camo and I have had more hens, jakes, deer, etc walk within a few feet of me with leafy than with traditional camo ... i would not win any 'sitting still competition'. I also thought briars would be problematic and they have not been bad ... I think my suit is from bass pro .... downside is replacement will probably be needed every 2-3 years if you hunt in briars, thinned pine plantations, etc.

tha bugman

I have both...use the leafy when it gets warm

Duke0002

Great question.  I've been wondering that myself.   Thanks for the answers.

Turkey Beard

I use a leafy mesh suit for turkey hunting as well but it had a very white backside of the leaves, so I dyed it.  THEN it was too much of one color and blobbed up.  My solution is very different.  I now wear the most obnoxious spring-green color of surgical scrubs that I can find under the leafy mesh.  I can wear layers under the scrubs, too, if it's a cool morning.  It doesn't sound effective, but let me tell you, the first time I wore it I had a gobbler fly down into a field when I wasn't prepared for him.  I was about 30 yards out into the field off of the tree line myself and all I could do was just squat with my brother-in-law behind me.  I called that gobbler about 45 yards from 80 to 35, and my b-i-l killed him with the shotgun resting on my left shoulder.  Might not work for everyone, but, as the Monkees say, "I'm a Believer!"

1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

Gooserbat

I've used both now I usualy wear a leafy top and regular bottoms.  I do think leafy has an edge over traditional camo but not enough to give up wearing regular camo.  There has been and will continue to be turkeys killed while wearing a pair of cami BDU pants and a long sleeve-T.  

The biggest thing is to sit still or no camo will work effectivly.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jakebird

I'll say this about my leafy suit. Single best turkey hunting investment i've made in the last three years. The 3d effect and added concealment is incredible. Two yrs ago i was forced to sit in the open against a 12 inch diameter pine in the middle of a saw landing. The two longbeards that came in had a visual on me for atleast 75 yds as they approached. I felt as conspicuous as a wart on an otherwise pretty girls nose. Those birds had no idea i was there. Ive had hens within six feet last year. I bought the realtree suit from bass pro, cant remember th exact brand. Mine are pull over, elastic waist and cuffs, zipper jacket. They will tend to snag if ur moving so if im walking around i roll em up in my vest. I can pull it on quick when i want to set up. When u wash it, turn it inside out so the washer doesnt beat it up. You wont regret getting one.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

tha bugman

I also like mine for after work hunts as well....slips right over my clothes and conceals well..I got it at wal mart and its in obsession

remmy1187

They both work but I relly love the leafy.  Totally agree with all the others about the leafy,  It works!

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Shannon's bug tamer 3d real leaf top and regular bottoms.

It's comfy, provides a leafy background to my legs while sitting and I don't have to worry about any "swishing" sound effect while walking.

hoyt

I've got a Whitewater 20 pocket Leafy vest with zip off sleeves. I wear it and regular pants. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

ferocious calls

A woman who owned a small sport shop near home called to tell me she had something special for me and to stop by and see if I was interested.

She had a bag of those pin on maple leaves. Well, not being impressed I declined the purchase. She handed them to me and told me she loved to hear my hunting and trapping stories and seeing all the game.
Put them on my favorite camo and never went back. They are awsome at breaking the hunter outline. They blow around just like a real leaf and let them get into hearing my heartbeat range. At first I thought cheesey but the birds don't seem to mind.