turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opportunity to go to Georgia

Started by Spring_Woods, March 08, 2012, 10:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring_Woods

It's about 60/40 now favored to going. I talked to a few of my loggers and I think I can swing it IF I can get someone to unload for the week. it will just be a last minute decision thats the only thing I know 100%.  :gobble:
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

joshb311

The main spot I hunt I just outside of Alma! Too funny I found this post.

There are TONS of birds down here that are active this year. The nearby public areas are looking quite promising as well. 

Who are you going to be coming down with? It's quite possible that I know them.

Spring_Woods

send me a pm and I'll say!

just would prefer not to mention names aloud

cannonball

You need to go, should be a great hunt. Good luck to you. :icon_thumright:

Turkey Trot

Quote from: joshb311 on March 10, 2012, 07:10:58 PM

There are TONS of birds down here that are active this year. The nearby public areas are looking quite promising as well. 

Is marijuana growing still as big down in Bacon Co. as it was?  I ask just from the standpoint of being out roaming in the woods and accidentally discovering some.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

BP1992

Spring_Woods

Quote from: Turkey Trot on March 12, 2012, 03:02:21 PM

Is marijuana growing still as big down in Bacon Co. as it was?  I ask just from the standpoint of being out roaming in the woods and accidentally discovering some.

hahah! I've actually came upon marijuana growing. Not a good feeling until you are clear out of there!

joshb311

Quote from: Turkey Trot on March 12, 2012, 03:02:21 PM

:TooFunny: Yep the Bacon County boys are known for growing their smoke to be sure. I can't remember how many big crops I've seen seized over the years down that way. Back in 1996 or 1997 Peter Jennings went down there and did a huge report called "Pot of Gold" that aired on one of the major networks. It was wild. The farmers were admitting to growing it on camera in their corn rows and told the interviewers that they were in cohoots with the sheriff. Shortly thereafter there was a raid and a lot of big named people got taken down by the state and feds.

There's really nothing around there except for farming or the power plant in Baxley so the vast majority of the people that get nailed for growing are dirt poor. The ones that are behind it have all the money usually and they generally skate away unharmed if it all goes down.

People have to survive and for a lot of those folks it's one of the only ways that they can sometimes. I'm not saying that I condone it, but I honestly don't think I would do anything other than go back where I came from if I happened up on someone's crop.

Turkey Trot

I saw that show back then and tried to find it yesterday without knowing the name.  I found a transcript for it on the NORML website with google.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

jakebird

Someday we all got to hang up our boots. One thing i know for a fact, when that day comes, won't a one of us be saying we wish we'd spent more time at work...  :p  Go, enjoy yourself and hope you stuff a big one!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

HardcoreHunter67

Are you kidding!!!!!!! If you have an op to go out of state and hunt private land and it's free and you are not dead or dying you better take advantage of the invite. You are crazy if you don't go!!! It may never come back your way again and some people that extend serious invites take offense when you say you can't make it.

Go, have fun, and try to fill all your tags as fast as possible because you may never get another op like this again.

FYI you can kill more than one bird a day in fact I think you can kill all three the same day. Check the regs but I'm 99.99% sure there is no one bird a day limit like many other states.

Turkeykiller12

Hunting Georgia for turkeys anytime of the season is great! Opening week should be hammertime! I hope you get to come on down to the peach state and join us a while. Good Luck :you_rock:

Spring_Woods

Thanks gentlemen for the encouragement. I am about 70% sure I'm going as of right now. As long as I can get my loose ends tied at work by next Friday I should be able to go!

Yeah I noticed you can kill 3 down that way. I take that as a sign there are just too many turkeys and not enough hunters. I figure I can help with that.

Can anyone give me an idea how that land down in there lays? I'm just wondering what to expect. I'm from se Ohio so I'm not too worried about steep terrain...just curious.

Sent from my iPhone

savduck

Quote from: HardcoreHunter67 on March 13, 2012, 06:57:45 PM
Are you kidding!!!!!!! If you have an op to go out of state and hunt private land and it's free and you are not dead or dying you better take advantage of the invite. You are crazy if you don't go!!! It may never come back your way again and some people that extend serious invites take offense when you say you can't make it.

Go, have fun, and try to fill all your tags as fast as possible because you may never get another op like this again.

FYI you can kill more than one bird a day in fact I think you can kill all three the same day. Check the regs but I'm 99.99% sure there is no one bird a day limit like many other states.

You can. ALL Day Long and on Sunday.
Georgia Boy

savduck

Quote from: Spring_Woods on March 13, 2012, 08:26:41 PM
Yeah I noticed you can kill 3 down that way. I take that as a sign there are just too many turkeys and not enough hunters.
Sent from my iPhone

Now that is funny.

Im in the coastal plain. Not really familiar where you are gonna be at. One thing is for sure. You can pretty much count on being able to find planted pines where ever you go. There are some hills above the fall lines, but most everything else is flat.
Georgia Boy