Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Thinking of getting a jake decoy. Trying to decide between DSD and Avian

Started by WVhuntEER, February 29, 2012, 11:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVhuntEER

I love my DSD hen.  I have the upright version.  I was just wondering if I could carry the hen and the jake without being too cumbersome?  That is the only reason I was considering the Avian one.  I usually just carry one deke with me but for the times I want to carry the jake I don't want to look like Santa going through the woods. LOL

busta biggun

I carry the DSD jake and hen in a bag built for me by custom gun socks. http://www.usahuntingear.com/Double_Decoy_Bag.html Because of the bag I find very little difference between carrying one or two decoys. Not an issue and the bag has seperate pockets for each decoy and a pocket for the stakes so there is no noise. If it was even CLOSE I would go for the DSD. Made in USA,...NOT China.

Old Gobbler

The avian looks like a anaconda that ate deer , the body anatomy is all off,bloated ,like a blow up pool toy, plus it's no light weight either , it's nicer looking than the other cheap chinese decoys but for what they want for them , most will pass or go all the way and commit to getting the very best and that woul be a Dsd  

Try and see if you can look at a avian in person and then look at the price tag and let me know if you don't think there is something wrong with the picture
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

savduck

Here is my thing.

DSD is hard body, Zink is inflatable rubber.

Since you want a jake decoy, there is a chance it causes a gobbler dog fight. In a dog fight where the potential  for a gobbler to jump on and spur your decoy exisists...do you want a rubber decoy that spurs can pop or do you want a hard body decoy that can take a licking and keep on ticking. I would personally go with the DSD. They are more expensive but your gonna get your monies worth out of it for YEARS to come.

Someone posted a new decoy on here about a week ago that is under a 100 bucks that closely resembles the DSD...made by Dakota decoys. It looks pretty sweet and is worth a look. Im seriously considering that over adding another DSD. Money saved for me is another tank of gas to the turkey woods.
Georgia Boy

billy29435

I love my DSD jake . I have the feeding and upright hen also.I can tell you you will not regret buying one. The avian decoys look like a painted buzzard to me.

bird

DSD = Made in the USA and a supporter of this site and have given free decoys to our members in the BINGO games!

Avian & the Dakota made decoy which isn't available yet are both made by the Communist Red Chinese!

Where does your heart and soul lie?

Are you an American that supports American made products or are you a Poser?

Enough Said!

Gobble!

swamppirate

Guess, I'm old school...I've been using the same Feather-Flex decoys since 1992..they are foam and very light. They may not look the most realistic but I've had other hens and gobblers come up and knock them down!! they have a few pellet holes in them, but they still WORK. my .02
Duty is the most sublime word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less.
Robert E. Lee

neal

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: bird on February 29, 2012, 12:56:45 PM
DSD = Made in the USA and a supporter of this site and have given free decoys to our members in the BINGO games!

Avian & the Dakota made decoy which isn't available yet are both made by the Communist Red Chinese!

Where does your heart and soul lie?

Are you an American that supports American made products or are you a Poser?

Enough Said!

Bird, in your opinion is there a difference between buying from a completely Chinese based company that is owned and run by Chinese investors that ship goods and products to be sold here in the US versus say an American company that is centered right here in the US but has chosen in the free market to have some production of products designed in the US produced in china because they do not have the means of producing it here currently and lack the capital to buy and set up a production facility here in the US and maintain any kind of profitability that would allow them to stay open and operate???
I don't think it's so black and white -- patriotic or communist as you make it seem but I value everyone's opinion. It's difficult for me at time to see the ONLY American made point of view at times, not because I don't care about the country or what it means to me but that evaluating business decisions and looking at the numbers is a part of my every day job.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ctomp1974

DSD!!! The Avian is half again as big and twice as heavy. The DSD's are spot on with natural color and customer service is 1st rate. Another thing to consider is the collapsable thing. They are not easy to collapse or inflate.

I have an Upright and Feeder hen made of the older(harder) material, and 2 of the same positions of the new material. I bought the 2 new ones(A.C.E.) at the NWTF convention last year, but have never even used them. The 2 originals I have are 3 & 4 years old and still look perfect. I always try to divide estimated years of use with price and then decide.

Good Luck,
Clint

Doubletap

MOStrutter

I ordered the new Dakota Jake decoy and it should be here sometime in late March.  I am a waterfowl hunter as well and have hunted over Dakota decoys in the past and do enjoy their work.  The jake decoy looks amazing and it is cheaper then the DSD.  DSD is pretty proud of there decoys and thats probably why I have only met one person that has ever hunted over their goose decoys, plus I talked to a representative of their's once and the guy was extremely rude and I swore I would never buy anything from that company.  The Zink Avian jake doesn't even have a great posture and the Zink decoys have a lot of white and red to them in the feathers. All are good decoys and all will kill turkeys no doubt, so good luck on your decision.

bird

DSD is 100% America made and American owned.

RCCQ -- Red Commie Chinese Quality

TauntoHawk

Sorry, that didn't really have anything to do with the DSD – Zink question...

Personally I have a somewhat different opinion of the two than most of the old gobbler faithful's. I respect the DSD guys (have met a few of them at trade shows) and am glad they produce a great realistic decoy here in America and have the BEST customer service without a doubt. I just merely lack the distain for Zinks line of decoys based upon their choice of production location that most here have.

I understand other company's (I know of 2) that have completely replicated Dave Smiths work and shipped it off to china for the simple purpose of undercutting price on essentially the same product and those I can show no support. I think that has no place here and do encourage others against purchasing those products.

To me Zink has a completely different design and concept. And to that I applaud them, there's not that many ways to make a decoy competitive yet completely different with the end results of both being to mimic the same thing. I personally think Zink did a great job offering a realistic hard body alternative yet not without flaws itself. Now I could be somewhat biased based upon the fact that I didn't pay full retain and got both the Zinks hen and jake decoy for $66 total and maybe I'd feel differently if I had to have forked over $180 for the pair.

I wouldn't be worried about it popping, heck if a gobbler pops it and Zink doesn't send you a new I'll buy it from you and fix it.
I love that it is sized bigger and "wider" I think the DSD hens are poult sized, The zink looks like a big fat boss hen for my area. But to each their own on that one
I still don't depend on or use decoys on every set, I was just taught not using them so a lot of times I don't set them out. I like that I can get both folded down and in my backpack (under 3lbs a piece seems more than light enough to me but I'm still young). Leaves my hands free for my gun and calls and I don't have a sack over my back all day but again it's really just that they fit my style better. I'd like to hunt over some DSD some time and if I ever went to archery hunting from a blind maybe they would suite me better.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>