News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thinking of getting a jake decoy. Trying to decide between DSD and Avian

Started by WVhuntEER, February 29, 2012, 11:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bird

Quote from: bird on February 29, 2012, 12:56:45 PM
DSD = Made in the USA and a supporter of this site and have given free decoys to our members in the BINGO games!

Avian & the Dakota made decoy which isn't available yet are both made by the Communist Red Chinese!

Where does your heart and soul lie?

Are you an American that supports American made products or are you a Poser?

Enough Said!

Jay Longhauser

I think hunters having options now that were nonexistant 10 years ago is a good thing.  As you can see people can have strong opinions on what decoy is better and why.  I think you can kill turkeys with either one of the decoys you asked about, and both have pro's and cons.  You can probably see them both at a cabelas if you live near one and see what you think will work best for you.  I've had both and have been happy with both.

Chris Downs

I looked at both at the nwtf convention.  Both look nice, but when you put the two prices and the two decoys side by side, you will spend the extra $60 and get the DSD.  Looks that much better, in my eyes anyway.

eaglea1

I've read here (thanks everyone) that a good setup would be a half strut jake... drives em wild  :angry9:

WVhuntEER

wow, thanks for all the replies!  I wanted the DSD from the start my only concern was carrying it and the hen but it sounds like it wouldn't be too much trouble.  Again, thanks for all the feedback.

vaturkey

WVhuntEER

Here is a DSD upright hen & a Jake !  Do they look real or what ? Spend the extra money ! You wont regret it ! Also get a double decoy bag from customgunsocks. They fit perfect !   :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

WVhuntEER

Quote from: vaturkey on February 29, 2012, 06:28:22 PM

WVhuntEER

Here is a DSD upright hen & a Jake !  Do they look real or what ? Spend the extra money ! You wont regret it ! Also get a double decoy bag from customgunsocks. They fit perfect !   :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Wow, they look awesome!   Thanks va!   :drool:

afoshie

Timber Chicken

I would go with the DSD no matter where they were made because they are that awesome.

FttFttVroom!

I do fine with my cheapo Delta upright hen.  100 bucks for a decoy, I'll pass since I don't use them often enough anyhow.

MAKEemQUIVER

The DSD decoys are awesome im sure but I really thought that the Zinc decoys looked good as well, hard for me to believe that you boys think they look that bad. Do agree though that they are a little heavy, but you can carry them in your vest and not a bag. Let us know which one you get.
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

Old Gobbler

Everyone has a good head on their shoulders , and they are smart enough to make their own choices in the market place or in life general -  after all its your money you should spend it how you feel is best for you

I have seen both products in hand , and I will tell you the avian looks better than most of the other Chinese decoys , but its no DSD not even by a far cry -

Zink came out with a goose line recently , and many online reviews from the stores that sold them from actual customers , of the goose ones stated that the paint fell of like a dress on prom night -- The paint adhesion seems to be a problem . The inflation system seemed cumbersome . I couldn't get to get it to work in the store . They are not light weight . The body size of the avian seems a tad small even for Florida Jake standards,the anatomy is way off, it looks stunted more like miniature barn turkey with a short neck  . Because of the inflation system that you need to deploy it ,when you blow it up , even at low pressure it takes the body anatomy resembling a oversized football especially in the rear   .If a company  wants to make and sell a decoy that charges a high quality price tag , it needs to look just like a turkey right down to the last detail

I'm nervous about the durability of the item , $80 down the drain if a flyer hits it or if it gets snagged on something - spend your own money how you feel best but if it were me I would pony up a few more bucks and get the real deal DSD - I have a original hen DSD .....this will be 5 seasons come this Saturday , its been from the swamps of Florida to the mountains of the Dakotas, I hunt allot and I dont baby my equipment but  the paint is still pristine , years latte,- and it just keeps on killing gobblers -

---Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Gobble!

Ebby

I have both. The DSD's are better looking in my opinion but it's not as far off as most on here would say. I typically carry the dsd's when I'm bow hunting or in a blind for long sits and am carrying lots of stuff in. They are bulkier although not heavier. I carry the Zink's when I'm being mobile. Most of the time, I carry nothing and prefer to run and gun. The Zink's look much better than the other portable alternatives out there. The DSD looks better yet.

I don't think you can wrong with either myself. I've had great customer service from DSD as well if that helps.

Lee