turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I Think I Have Solved The Star Dot Choke Mystery

Started by ILIKEHEVI-13, February 28, 2012, 04:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

Now guys, I may be wrong, but I think I finally have my answer to who made Star Dot chokes for Highlander Sports and it only makes logical and economical sense now that I did some research.  And I'll show you what I found.  But first I would like to thank the guy that posted the Star Dot choke look alike for the Moss 835 on here.  That sort of got me thinking.  But then I was just on ebay and I found this choke and it really got my attention.  I was really focusing my attention on the angled ports and how they look.  Then I looked at my Star Dot choke.  Well let me first show you the choke.  Now it's not a 835 choke but rather a Browning Invector Plus choke.  

Very similar to the ports on my Star Dot even though the ports are angled the opposite direction on how they were drilled.  Again I am looking for the similarities in the cut.  

Now this is where the 2 and 2 way of thinking starts to come in to play.  

Well then I said let me go find out the address of Colonial Arms for I knew that Highlander Sports, Inc. was in AL.

Colonial Arms, Inc.
1504 Highway 31
PO Box 250
Bay Minette, AL 36507
1-800-949-8088

Now look at the address on the back of my 835 Star Dot choke package.

Now what a coincedence.  Same exact state.  

Now lets look at the ports on my Star Dot to compare it to the ports on the Colonial Arms choke above.  Now granted the ports are angled the opposite direction now, but they do look about identical in depth and in cut but the holes may be a little different in dimensions.    

2 + 2 = 4

But again I might be wrong.  But I may very well be right.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Now I took this picture off of Colonial Arms website showing their turkey choke now.  Compare it to the Star Dot choke.  Pretty similar and notice the knurling at the top looks the exact same as well.   And notice, too, the ports are angled exactly the same as the Star Dot.  

Maybe I will give them a call today and ask some info.  Since the Star Dot chokes are no longer made, they should be able to hopefully tell the truth since there should no longer be a need for client confidentiality on their part.  

Quax

Good work, I think you are right. Brings to mind that a few years ago I tried to order an accu-dot sight system from them. It was the same as a star dot sight that wal-mart sold. I placed the order only to get a notice that they were sold out and it was no longer manufactured. I never thought about them making the choke, too. I just sent an email requesting the exit diameter size of a browning inv +.

MUSHCREEK

You may be right, Colonial Arms is not too far from my house, they moved from Selma a few years ago to Bay Minette now. They do look alot alike.

fountain2

Go ahead and get ya one for the 835 and blast a few through it and let is know

Turkhunter

Naturally, after I finally get a Star Dot someone discovers this. ;D

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well here's what I got so far after my conversation with a lady at Colonial Arms.  At first, she told me that Highlander Sports stole their design and made their own chokes.  Well I wasn't buying that one 100%.  Then I told her more in detail that I was convinced that they in fact made these chokes for Highlander Sports.  Then she said we did initially but then they stole their design.  Now I'm going to call back and to talk to the owner in about an hour.  But now we know the rest of the story and hopefully the truth will come out soon.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

But I don't think the lady was telling me all the facts.  I made her stutter step so to speak with my info and questions.   :funnyturkey:

She told me at first that she worked for the company about 25yrs.  I then said well this would have been back in the 90's.  She then said this was before her time.  LOL! 

goblr77

I wonder if it has the same .676 exit diameter. They are listing extra full as the tightest one with a .
040 constriction. If it's configured off the bore of an 835 that would be somewhere in the neighborhood of a .735 exit diameter. Even with a standard 12ga bore it would be .689. Let us know what you find out Brad. Maybe they could custom build some to .676. I would buy one.

davisd9

It would be in their best interest, imo, to say whether their design is the Star Dot.  Many people are searching for the choke so if it could be proven that it is the same choke then they should have no problem selling them, especially for the 835/935. 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

keyser12ga

Good detective skills and very interesting info.  So where do the Preston Pittman chokes fit in to the equation, were they made by Colonial or Highland?

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: goblr77 on February 28, 2012, 09:32:13 AM
I wonder if it has the same .676 exit diameter. They are listing extra full as the tightest one with a .
040 constriction. If it's configured off the bore of an 835 that would be somewhere in the neighborhood of a .735 exit diameter. Even with a standard 12ga bore it would be .689. Let us know what you find out Brad. Maybe they could custom build some to .676. I would buy one.

I'll do my best.  A lot will have to do on how honest they want to be. 

They hopefully will tell me what I want to know. 

I sure would love to see this same choke be reproduced with the same exact dimensions.  I was told by a local choke maker that the Star Dot had a 2.5" long parallel which is extremely long.  I have also been told buy another choke maker that the Star Dot may have had two tapers or conicals.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: keyser12ga on February 28, 2012, 09:34:57 AM
Good detective skills and very interesting info.  So where do the Preston Pittman chokes fit in to the equation, were they made by Colonial or Highland?

I would say the same case scenario for the Preston Pittman chokes as well.  Same thing as a Star Dot.  The back of the package will say Highlander Sports, Inc. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Update:  Owner is supposed to call me back.  I just got done speaking with the same lady.  I told her it would be in your best interest to admit that you made the choke and to reproduce it again.

Quax