only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I Think I Have Solved The Star Dot Choke Mystery

Started by ILIKEHEVI-13, February 28, 2012, 04:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 08, 2012, 01:14:17 AM
Quote from: Nick_The_Tinkerer on March 07, 2012, 11:37:30 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150772192173?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

so is this one????

Yep.  

Guys, I think we soon shall find out how well these chokes shoot with good Hevi-13 loads or Win Xtended loads.  Heck they might even shoot good with the Federal Heavweight I don't know.  I just talked to Nate on here and he said his Colonial choke he just got had I believe 12 ports.  Myles I think said his had less port than his Star Dot.  So Nate thinks they may have made some additional port changes since I'm guessing I posted this.  My original Star Dot I have has 10 ports.  

What I am waiting to see like you is how well these chokes will shoot what I know to be good loads like the Hevi-13 .5" 2.25oz #7 loads lot #300325 or any other good lot that we know shoots great.  That will at least give us objective data to hopefully compare these chokes with the old if they are just about the same internals.  That's not stating they won't shoot other good loads or size shot.   I'm almost positive these chokes will shoot about the exact same as the old Star Dots from what I was told on the phone by the owner who should in fact know since she was there during the time they made these Star Dot chokes.  She plainly told me the internals are about exactly the same.  

Ok so I won the choke with the original buy it now option...I was the original bidder too btw.  It cost me a bit more but the seller knocked off shipping so I'm getting a brand new colonial/pittman/stardot for a song.  Whew!   Dodged an expensive bullet right there!     :you_rock:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Nick_The_Tinkerer

Grobec1

I know a guy who knows a guy that works for Preston Pittman and he is going to see him at the Turkey convention in Nashville. What would you guys like him to ask them about the Stardot Chokes?

kdsberman

Found this thread, thought maybe it would be a good spot to ask this...

I have come across a Star Dot for a Mossberg 835 a guy I know bought back in the 90s.  It says Highlander Sports on the back, but has the straight ends and not knurled.  I thought if it has straight it was NOT made by Highlander??  This one has straight ends and says Highlander Sports on the back, not PTC.

Any thoughts on this?  Is this an original Star Dot still?

mikejd

Quote from: kdsberman on April 23, 2015, 08:51:39 PM
Found this thread, thought maybe it would be a good spot to ask this...

I have come across a Star Dot for a Mossberg 835 a guy I know bought back in the 90s.  It says Highlander Sports on the back, but has the straight ends and not knurled.  I thought if it has straight it was NOT made by Highlander??  This one has straight ends and says Highlander Sports on the back, not PTC.

Any thoughts on this?  Is this an original Star Dot still?

I have an original Stardot Highlander box and the choke has the strait lines and not the diamond knurling.

Sounds like you may have an original.

kdsberman

Thanks for the replies fellas.  I wonder why some are knurled and some are straight?  Guess it doesnt matter when the bird is dead, right?

Huntfish53

I have a PTC and a Highlander both with packages and both have the straight grooves

mikejd

Can you imagine that we even have a stardot conspiracy theory.
I myself have even spent hours trying to figure it out. I to have spoken to colonial to see if thwy would crack.
at the time they were quiet about it but now I think they will tell you.
the best part is that there are plenty of chokes that are just as good.
probably better. I know my PG beats my stardot every time in a head to head.

Lucky Clucker

I have one that is about 12 years old, knurled ends , it fits Browning inv. plus, what would be the constriction for this choke? I lost the package it came in. I am thinking of trying some longbeards in it.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.

jordanz7935

Quote from: Lucky Clucker on April 29, 2015, 12:08:17 AM
I have one that is about 12 years old, knurled ends , it fits Browning inv. plus, what would be the constriction for this choke? I lost the package it came in. I am thinking of trying some longbeards in it.

Lucky Clucker

Thanks. It shoots win. HV 4 shot real good. never tried it with nothing else but I will.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.