OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Out of state hunting alone...

Started by wkyhunter, February 18, 2012, 04:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkyhunter

How many here make out of state hunts alone?
I've done it, maybe 3 hours or so from home. As I get older it's less appealing.  Its even less appealing in a state like Missouri where you have to stop at 1pm.

stone road turkey calls

1 pm, how do they come up with this crap. I hate hunting alone
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Neill_Prater

I've done a bunch of it, but will admit I enjoy it more where I can hunt all day. Some guys go fishing in the afternoons, etc, but I will often just do a lot of driving around, exploring new areas.

bgbuck153

I hunt ohio and maryland alone ! No big deal to me .

gotcha

I love hunting and traveling alone.Since I am an outfitter my days are full of making sure everyone else is having fun so its nice to spoil yourself every now and then.I do enjoy hunting with a buddy but don't have a problem going at it solo.

earlybird

I hunt alone just about anytime i go out of state.Its just too hard to find someone that likes to travel for turkeys as much as i do.

dirt road ninja

I do it all the time. I've even gotten to where I really enjoy fishing by myself.

paintbrush

I've done a couple of out of state hunts by myself. No big deal to me. Can set my own time frame. No set meeting times for when to get out or meet up or when to quit and such. Granted, it can be more fun sometimes with a buddy or 2, but I don't mind hunting on my own at all.

socalturkeyman

I rather hunt and fish alone,it frees my mind for having to worry about someone making a mistake hunting. Which include shooting me,making noise,moving at the wrong time,and the one I loath the most.....their dang cell phone ringing as loud as a freaking 50cal. Only person I like hunting with cause I dont have to worry about any of that is my dad.I hope if my future son starts hunting...he takes after us and learns the ways of the western hunter.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

marshboy

I've done it before, and will do it again.  
I've been out of state hunting alone not only for turkeys, but for prairie grouse, too.  I enjoy the solitude, and the freedom to make my own decisions without the worry of affecting someone else's hunt.
I'm to the point that I do 99.9% of my hunting, both in and out of state, alone.
I do enjoy taking my little ones in my duckboat.
Greg

stinkpickle

I hunt alone when I go out of state usually.  It's stupid stuff like Missouri's 1:00 cutoff that I can't stand.

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: wkyhunter on February 18, 2012, 04:30:59 PM
How many here make out of state hunts alone?
I've done it, maybe 3 hours or so from home. As I get older it's less appealing.  Its even less appealing in a state like Missouri where you have to stop at 1pm.

Virginia is the same way with the cut off...you cant hunt past 12pm except for the last two days then you can hunt tell sunset.  Its been that way as far as I can remember.

I've really thought about making some out of state trips myself...might do it Lord willing I would love to go to western KY, AL or FL.

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

TheWidowMaker

ddturkeyhunter

I enjoy hunting by myself that way I can only blame my self if something goes wrong when the bird starts coming in. Went to Florida by my self, got a air line ticket, sent my tent and some thing ahead of time down to a UPS store so when I got down there it was there waiting for me. Rented a car and drove to Three lakes WMA dropped my tent on the ground and started to hunt. And after 1:OO when hunting was over for the day I walked around and scouted for the next day. Took me two years too get that first bird but the adventures in trying were priceless. This year I am going out state to Oklahoma to hunt some public land to try for my Rio can't wait for the adventure to began.

Shotgun