turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester ext range vs hevi 13

Started by delta hunter, February 10, 2012, 08:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyhunter

I love them, They shoot great out of both my SBEII and 870. They don't have as high numbers because they have a 1/4 oz less shot in them,but I'd rather have the higher velocities and live with a fewer hits on paper. The other thing is there way more consistent shot to shot. 

stinkpickle

Quote from: delta hunter on February 11, 2012, 08:44:48 AM
...I've heard the ext range is easier on your barrel than the he I shot. Any truth to that?

I believe it's because XRHD's use a different alloy than Hevi-shot.  Something like tungsten-tin-copper, instead of tungsten-iron-nickel...or something like that.  Anybody else have the details on that?

stinkpickle

Quote from: nyhunter on February 11, 2012, 10:27:30 AM
...but I'd rather have the higher velocities and live with a fewer hits on paper...

I'm the opposite.  With the penetration advantage of hard HTL pellets, I'd sacrifice some velocity for higher pellet counts.

fountain2

I was told today by the product manager at the convention that they are not interested in making a #7 load because they don't have the down range energy to kill.  I also asked about upping the payload and he told me that they were in the middle...made the speed and still has s good payload ....like a good middle ground compromise more or less.  They basically are not interested in changing anything with that load.  He said he may look into 7s if forced to by the market, but doubtful.

bird

Good... No sense in messing with an outstanding overall killing shell.

7's not needed or wanted!

K9Doc

How can you say HTL #7s are not any good and dont kill?  The out perform and penetrate lead #6s at an equal velocity!!!  Plus one heck of a payload.  Remember, we just need to break skulls and neck bones to kill birds. 
True, if any lead loads would hold the pattern that the HTL stuff will, i would keep on with lead.  Truth is tho, HTL kills with more dense patterns.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

bird

Quote from: K9Doc on February 11, 2012, 04:13:15 PM
How can you say HTL #7s are not any good and dont kill?  The out perform and penetrate lead #6s at an equal velocity!!!  Plus one heck of a payload.  Remember, we just need to break skulls and neck bones to kill birds. 
True, if any lead loads would hold the pattern that the HTL stuff will, i would keep on with lead.  Truth is tho, HTL kills with more dense patterns.

I don't believe that anyone said that 7's don't kill.  Just some of people believe that 7's are overrated and definitely do not penetrate better than 6's.  I for one am one of those believers that decided that H-13 #7 is pushing the envelop and choose to take a step back and go with 6's and Winchester happens to fit that bill quite nicely!

bird

fountain2

That's more or less what they said too bird...and im on the fence with the 7s myself...I can't lie.  My only reason is that I've killed too many with the nitros that have mostly 7s in em.  I am shooting them now, but am definitely looking towards the winchester loads.  We will see what they do.    Nobody bashing either company here for what they do...just different opinions.  They both are very reputable to me

stinkpickle

Quote from: bird on February 11, 2012, 03:16:10 PM
Good... No sense in messing with an outstanding overall killing shell.

7's not needed or wanted!

Perhaps not needed, but definitely wanted.   ;)

stinkpickle

Quote from: fountain2 on February 11, 2012, 02:58:30 PM
I was told today by the product manager at the convention that they are not interested in making a #7 load because they don't have the down range energy to kill...

I'd say that product manager has never tried 'em.  If he ever pulled a low-flying #7 pellet (from a pokey 1090fps load) from under skin on the OPPOSITE side of a turkey's breast at 38 yards, he'd probably have a much different opinion about them not having enough down range energy to kill.   :D

fountain2

U prolly right there...bet he's never tried em tho given the circumstances.   I hit the hevi 13 rep up about the folded in crimps on the hevi loads and he said send em back.  Also asked about the buffer leaking and never git an honest straight answer on that.

westtennhunter

I shot XRs for several years until I did some extensive testing. In my 870sm the XR 5s and 6s paled in comparison to Hevi 6s and Magblends. I sold all my XRs and stocked up on Hevi.

surehuntsalot

I shoot alot of the Winchester EXRange #5's  and 6's myself
very even and consistent  patterns,you don't have to worry about the lot #'s and possible changes from year to year by the" other guy"
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Mr16Gauge

3 Shots in the field

3 turkeys on the ground with the WInchesters

Nuff said for us.  Just an opinion, but................................

:funnyturkey:

joker

win xrhd #6's are a very good htl loads. They are great turkey killers for sure. They would be better if they were #7's though. Those babies are smoking at over 1300fps (you know it when you touch one off) and would kill out as far as you could hold a pattern together with the #7's.