turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester ext range vs hevi 13

Started by delta hunter, February 10, 2012, 08:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joker

I wish H13 would run there #7 @ 1200fps though. I know a lot of people have had good luck with there 1090fps #7's but they make me leery. They run the mag blends @ 1200!

delta hunter

A 7 shot load would be nice in the ext range and so would a 2 1/4 oz load in the 6 & 7 shot

Gobble!

I prefer the h13 #7s. I don't understand saying they are over rated? They have more then enough killing power at 50 yards. There have been plenty of pictures posted to prove that. Sure some have said they shot at birds at 40 yards and come up empty saying "there's no way I missed" but i dont believe it. They won't penetrate as deep as #6s but I will take the better pattern densitys.

chipper

Someone on here chronoed some hevi 6 or 7 last year and was getting 1200 fps out of them but I don't remember who it was.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Gobble! on February 12, 2012, 05:42:50 PM
I prefer the h13 #7s. I don't understand saying they are over rated? They have more then enough killing power at 50 yards. There have been plenty of pictures posted to prove that. Sure some have said they shot at birds at 40 yards and come up empty saying "there's no way I missed" but i dont believe it. They won't penetrate as deep as #6s but I will take the better pattern densitys.

Preach it bro! 

agturkey

When the rebates stop, pellet counts that can be made on a live turkey head, quality control, and pure performance xtended range will come out on top.....until then others count holes in papers before season while others are scouting and working knowing that the xtended range is ready season is just days away!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 11, 2012, 11:45:11 AM
Quote from: delta hunter on February 11, 2012, 08:44:48 AM
...I've heard the ext range is easier on your barrel than the he I shot. Any truth to that?

I believe it's because XRHD's use a different alloy than Hevi-shot.  Something like tungsten-tin-copper, instead of tungsten-iron-nickel...or something like that.  Anybody else have the details on that?

All of the tungsten-based shot is very hard. The WXRHD is 110 on the Diamond Pyramid Harness scale and that's about the same as steel shot. It does not "give" or compress upon setback or when funneling through the forcing cone of the barrel or the forcing cone of the choke tube.

The wad and buffering used by all of the manufacturers is what protects the barrel and choke tube from damage.

Unfortunately for all of us, the price of raw tungsten has just about doubled in the last few months. We may find these shells much harder to find, if at all, and definitely more expensive, regardless of brand. We'll also likely see fewer choices in shot sizes.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Gobble!

Quote from: agturkey on February 14, 2012, 09:33:31 PM
When the rebates stop, pellet counts that can be made on a live turkey head, quality control, and pure performance xtended range will come out on top.....until then others count holes in papers before season while others are scouting and working knowing that the xtended range is ready season is just days away!

Last time I counted holes it only took 5 minutes so I don't expect to lose much time scouting

VaTuRkStOmPeR

This gave me a good chuckle.  Ridiculous.

j_gingue

I shoot the hevi 13 magnum blend over the win because of the shot weight your getting 1/4oz more with the hevi weight

Bamarich

Quote from: duckaholic25 on February 10, 2012, 09:04:18 PM
Paper punchers prefer Hevi shot, turkey killers prefer Ext Range.

Guess that's why I don't shoot the Ext. Range then... just can't bring myself to go with a load that puts about 70 pellets less in my targets than Hevi-shot.

Ctomp1974

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on February 14, 2012, 10:58:16 PM

This gave me a good chuckle.  Ridiculous.

X2...."pure performance xtended range will come out on top". Still laughing at this.

SWAMPFOX

rolled many a turkey head with the extended range. started using them as soon as they came out. i use both brands now. to me its just a matter of what u like

trash2

shot them all but have had great success with hevi 13 7s in my A5. They have plenty of energy to do the job and the extra load is simply not worth debating. More paper punched holes should translate to more pellets on target=more chances of death. killed biggest bird to date at 64 steps last year (didnt want to take shot but he was in a field with numerous hens and my sneakiness was about to run out).

ILIKEHEVI-13

That's why I like the Hevi-13 #7 loads.  Some say 6's will do better but when you stop and think about it your getting less hits with more penetration.  But with the 7's your getting quite a few more hits in the head and neck which from what I have seen the 7's will blow plum through both sides of the head and neck at 45yds plus.  I got the picture to prove it too.  Now why would 6's kill better?  I'm here to tell you they won't.  Granted 6's will work very well if you got a gun that will pattern them well.  But most guns will shoot the 7's a lot better from what I have seen.