OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hornady offering a new load directed towards turkey hunters

Started by Mild Bill, January 15, 2012, 10:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mild Bill

Not quite sure what to think about this new offering?

nickel plated and fast but a lower payload than most.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Heavy-Magnum-Turkey-New

You can tell a lot about a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them or to them.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Mild Bill on January 15, 2012, 10:49:11 PM

I have some and will try them if the weather every cooperates.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

joshua

Quote from: Bad Grizzly on January 15, 2012, 11:17:58 PM
For all the talk about them being so good, the pics of their test patterns leave alot to be desired.... I would go back to the Win. Sup. HV #5's from Wal-Mart and Kicks .665 tube before I would shoot those Hornady shells....

My 40 yard patterns were better than their 25 yard patterns......

I think they need to stick to their rifle ammo and slugs ....... leave the turkey shells alone.
:agreed: They also make 1 hell of a muzzleloader bullet.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Mild Bill

Quote from: allaboutshooting on January 15, 2012, 11:39:14 PM
Quote from: Mild Bill on January 15, 2012, 10:49:11 PM

I have some and will try them if the weather every cooperates.

Thanks,
Clark

It will be interesting to see what you get for results.

thanks
You can tell a lot about a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them or to them.

Deputy 14

I agree that those patterns aren't very good. Don't think I will be buying those in the future. However it would be nice to know what they were shot through.

FullChoke

Wow, talk about shooting yourself in the foot (pun intended!)! 70+ shot in a 12" square at 40 yards? Anemic performance well below the standards of acceptance that we have imposed on ourselves.

Their math - 12" square (144 sq inches) = 75 shot divided by 144 sq inches = .52 pellets per square inch.

Our math - 10" dia. circle (78.5 sq inches) = 100 shot (our minimum) divided by 78.5 sq inches = 1.27 pellets per sq inch.

The comparison - .52 ppsi divided by 1.27 ppsi = .41.

This means that these new shotgun shells provide the shooter with 41% of the pattern density against what we have come to consider to be the minimally acceptable pattern. Being lead, they still don't carry the foot/pounds of downrange energy that HTL does.

Bottom line? This dog just won't hunt!

Love Hornady bullets, though.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

mightyjoeyoung

Those loads aren't new.  Dick's has had them for 2 years now.  Didn't sell well and they still have a bunch on the shelves...on clearance.  Might make a good LR pheasant load...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Ruger M77

In there advertisement they suggest using modified or improved cylinder chokes
I eat therefore I hunt

R AJ

Quote from: Ruger M77 on January 17, 2012, 09:28:50 AM
In there advertisement they suggest using modified or improved cylinder chokes

They appear to think of body hits like duck or goose patterns. If someone buys these on clearance they might find a good load in a different choke. Remember that they are using a flite -control type wad in this shell also and promote it as being a much tighter pattern than an ordinary open choke could give. I think that they offer it in #5 shot as their bread and butter- another clue to their thinking.

trkehunr93

:TooFunny:  they need to stick to rifle ammo, that is pathetic.

C J Stahly

I tried to pattern this stuff last year.  I TRIED to be the key word.  Needless to say it is not what I used while hunting. 

Richyb

Everyone here is brainwashed into thinking that you need 100 in a 10" as a bare minimum. Sure its nice but when I patterned dads 2 3/4" #5 lead at 40 with his fixed mod choke he only had 32 in the 10" circle. This may shock everyone but he HASNT MISSED A TURKEY INSIDE OF 50YDS....  Sure its likely just luck but he has killed alot of birds and his luck will run out. This load would likely be perfect for him since it should bring his killing pattern numbers up since hes not going to buy another gun. I think I will buy him a box to try.

anthonyjhallen

gobble157

Quote from: FullChoke on January 16, 2012, 09:36:48 AM
Wow, talk about shooting yourself in the foot (pun intended!)! 70+ shot in a 12" square at 40 yards? Anemic performance well below the standards of acceptance that we have imposed on ourselves.

Their math - 12" square (144 sq inches) = 75 shot divided by 144 sq inches = .52 pellets per square inch.

Our math - 10" dia. circle (78.5 sq inches) = 100 shot (our minimum) divided by 78.5 sq inches = 1.27 pellets per sq inch.

The comparison - .52 ppsi divided by 1.27 ppsi = .41.

This means that these new shotgun shells provide the shooter with 41% of the pattern density against what we have come to consider to be the minimally acceptable pattern. Being lead, they still don't carry the foot/pounds of downrange energy that HTL does.

Bottom line? This dog just won't hunt!

Love Hornady bullets, though.

FC

I'm glad Norman is on my team :)
Life long obsessed turkey hunting from the great state of Georgia!

23 more states to go!!! US Slam bound!