turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hornady offering a new load directed towards turkey hunters

Started by Mild Bill, January 15, 2012, 10:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

I don't believe I would shoot those Hornadays.....
Based on Clarks thorough test, these loads are not even close to what is needed in the turkey woods.

anthonyjhallen

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on January 22, 2012, 08:39:38 AM
Gotcha.  No harm, no foul bro.  I admit I did take it the way you described.  Also did not intend on making it look loike I was fingering you for an unethical hunter. 

Its all good.   :anim_25:

OLE RASPY

Quote from: C J Stahly on January 20, 2012, 10:20:20 AM
I patterned these shells last year in much the same conditions as I hunt.  It was actually RIGHT before the season, so all the weather elements were in line with what I would be facing during the season. 

I tried a truloc 650, 665, factory full, modified, and improved cylinders. (all non-ported chokes)

I had deep cleaned the barrel just before going out

I will have to track down the papers and numbers, because I honestly can't remember how bad they actually were.  I believe it was 60 some hits at 40 yards was my best pattern with them and that was out of the TL 650.  The wad was very stiff and rigid as previously mentioned and was actually landing right at the base of the patterning board/hitting the board out of all chokes. 
Even for having a slightly lighter payload than other shells, these things bring the heat.  I just wish they would pattern a little better.  Great concept, great price, great comapany......poor product...IMO  Ithers may get great results with them.....I just couldn't find anything that worked.

The wad was very stiff and rigid as previously mentioned and was actually landing right at the base of the patterning board/hitting the board out of all chokes. 

If the shot dont kill him the wad will. :toothy12:
Thought i was the only one that notice the wad hitting the target at 40 yards but i was using the federal flite control out of the 835 mossy i used to have.

C J Stahly

Quote from: OLE RASPY on January 22, 2012, 09:50:13 AM
Quote from: C J Stahly on January 20, 2012, 10:20:20 AM
I patterned these shells last year in much the same conditions as I hunt.  It was actually RIGHT before the season, so all the weather elements were in line with what I would be facing during the season. 

I tried a truloc 650, 665, factory full, modified, and improved cylinders. (all non-ported chokes)

I had deep cleaned the barrel just before going out

I will have to track down the papers and numbers, because I honestly can't remember how bad they actually were.  I believe it was 60 some hits at 40 yards was my best pattern with them and that was out of the TL 650.  The wad was very stiff and rigid as previously mentioned and was actually landing right at the base of the patterning board/hitting the board out of all chokes. 
Even for having a slightly lighter payload than other shells, these things bring the heat.  I just wish they would pattern a little better.  Great concept, great price, great comapany......poor product...IMO  Ithers may get great results with them.....I just couldn't find anything that worked.

The wad was very stiff and rigid as previously mentioned and was actually landing right at the base of the patterning board/hitting the board out of all chokes. 

If the shot dont kill him the wad will. :toothy12:
Thought i was the only one that notice the wad hitting the target at 40 yards but i was using the federal flite control out of the 835 mossy i used to have.
Yup inside 30 yards the wad would have been the end of ole tom. I was putting holes in paper to about 30 plus or minus. The first shot I was like, wth, where they do this at. Lol

mnbirdbuster

Yeah , they will undoubtably move some of these off the shelves this spring, and for lead patterns they will probably be run of the mill! That being said, all of us on here see the wad impact the target paper, therefore making that pattern board very close! I get better patterns with my Knight TK 2000 at 40yds than the pattern displayed on the vid :z-guntootsmiley:

sbe2#

I think they should stick to producing top quality rifle ammo and leave the shotgun ammo alone.