OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

3" vs 3 1/2"

Started by DMP, January 15, 2012, 09:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westtennhunter

Very well said longshanks!!!!

Richyb

I have a 3 1/2" gun so I feed he beast 3 1/2" shells. Shoulder is sore after a couple pattern shots but when shooting at a bird I dont feel a thing. I would use 3" if they patterned better in my gun but they dont. Plus its more MANLY ( pounds chest)  lol

ILIKEHEVI-13

Thanks for the kind words Longshanks.  And davisd9 we are all good.  I know I get caught up in the patterning sometimes and others get caught up in just killing turkeys.  I like to try and do my homework when it comes to patterning and what seems to work and share my experiences with chokes and loads and try to keep striving to improve my patterns when I can and have the time to do so.  But I am content in both my turkey guns for the most part, but I still like to play.  And you are exactly right a 3" shell will kill turkeys very easily.  So I don't want people to think that 3.5" shells are superior to 3" shells.  But what I wanted to clarify is from my experiences the 3.5" heavier payloads seem to just offer an advantage over the 3" shells when it comes to denser patterns.  Now will a turkey know the difference in that advantage if you shoot at reasonable distances?  Of course not, but we are only human, and we all can misjudge yardages.  It happens to even the best of us, but it is nice to know that I got a pattern that will allow me to make a slight judging error and still give me the killing pattern that I need to kill the bird lethally and cleanly.  That's all I meant about the insurance thing.  

You guys have a good day.  

vaturkey

This may help clarify some of  ILIKEHEVI -13's statements !  :newmascot: 

Vaturkey

GOLD HUNTER

Quote from: vaturkey on January 18, 2012, 05:06:53 PM

This may help clarify some of  ILIKEHEVI -13's statements !  :newmascot:  

:TooFunny: Rick thats not going to kill a bird...... u do know that dont you !  :begging:

lol
brian

ILIKEHEVI-13

Rick,

That's 54 more hits at 30yds in a 10" which more than likely about the same amount of margin advantage will carryover at 40yds give or take a few shot.  Now I would say that the 3" 2oz pattern would be a better overall 10" pattern at 30yds, but that 3.5" load with all the extra shot towards the center of the pattern ought to open up to a super killer pattern at 40yds and even on past that.  With a pattern like that, there really is no need to change a thing.  Both are very good patterns and thanks for sharing them.  I'm impressed!   And both those guns and chokes are shooters.   :you_rock:

GOLD HUNTER

i like and hunt with a 3" 1300 and now my old 1187 3". i will be testing the 1187 this spring. the 1300, I get about 360+/- @ 30 and 300+/- @ 40yds in a 10" and its been a killer combo with them old nitros 4x5x7's 3''..... yes i know it hard to belive but it took me a lot of  time at the range to find that great gun/choke/load combo for that gun....... i do hand load TSS now and like a 3" gun and i have had some 3 1/2" guns BUT you just dont need them.  just my $0.02  :icon_thumright:

Brian

vaturkey

2ounce6s

The Benelli SBE2 is my main turkey gun. The 1187 is my backup gun that I carry on out of state hunts. Here's a 40 yd. pattern with the Benelli.  Keep in mind I'm shootin 6's !

Ricky   :newmascot:      P.S I like an auto in case he does STUTTER STEP !  :turkey2:
Vaturkey

ILIKEHEVI-13

Hey Rick, I bought a MAD MAX .680 off of a guy on gunbroker that owned a pawn store.  But I thought it ought to be a good choke to try some 6's with in the Hevi-13 loads.  Now it was a used choke but was in dang good shape.  Now I have only shot it one time, but I think I got a winner if they stay like this.  Heck maybe I ought to just shoot 6's and use this choke.  

westtennhunter

3.5 Hevi 6's JH .660, lazered 40 yards. 256 in 10".

vaturkey

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on January 18, 2012, 09:42:20 PM
Hey Rick, I bought a MAD MAX .680 off of a guy on gunbroker that owned a pawn store.  But I thought it ought to be a good choke to try some 6's with in the Hevi-13 loads.  Now it was a used choke but was in dang good shape.  Now I have only shot it one time, but I think I got a winner if they stay like this.  Heck maybe I ought to just shoot 6's and use this choke.  

Awesome Pattern !   :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

vaturkey

Quote from: westtennhunter on January 18, 2012, 09:47:36 PM
3.5 Hevi 6's JH .660, lazered 40 yards. 256 in 10".

Awesome pattern westtennhunter !     :icon_thumright:  What Gun ? 
Vaturkey

westtennhunter

870SM. 24" barrel with lengthened forcing cone.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: westtennhunter on January 18, 2012, 10:08:45 PM

I would say it was safe to say that lenghtening that forcing cone in that barrel made that barrel a better shooter.   :z-guntootsmiley:

vaturkey

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on January 18, 2012, 10:25:45 PM
Quote from: westtennhunter on January 18, 2012, 10:08:45 PM

I would say it was safe to say that lenghtening that forcing cone in that barrel made that barrel a better shooter.   :z-guntootsmiley:

BIG TIME !   :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey