News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3" vs 3 1/2"

Started by DMP, January 15, 2012, 09:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on January 16, 2012, 09:15:21 PM
I'll show you guys why I say nite and day difference between the Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7 loads vs the 3.5" 2 and 1/4oz #7 loads at 40yds.  

Ok we will call this one nite.  Now this one was shot with a Pure Gold choke instead of the Star Dot, but the Star Dot pattern I shot was just about identical to this one in numbers.  The 3" shells that  I have shot all pretty much pattern like this out of my 835.  

And we will call this one day.  Only 1/4oz more shot.  Now which one would you rather shoot?  Now be real when you answer.  

Now just to prove that was no fluke I'll post another almost as good.  

Now I know these results may vary in how these loads will shoot in different guns and different chokes.  But the 835 is going to keep getting fed the 3.5" #7 loads.  

[/quote

Nice! Just curious Hevi..what is the difference in the number of shot in the actual shell between the 2 oz and the 2.25 oz. I see your numbers jumped from 258 to 360. Wondering if that awesome increase is due more to gun/choke/ shell combo rather than simply a 1/4 ounce more shot. I know slicky posted an excellent chart but I have misplaced it..

ILIKEHEVI-13

Yep.  360 on the first one and 349 on the one below it.  

Here's another 357 from a Pure Gold and the highest ever I have put in a 20" with these loads with 573.  This was the very first shot out of this brand new choke that I bought from a guy on here.  But I have yet to get the Pure Gold to come close to repeating itself with this pattern.  From what I have seen, it won't touch the Star Dot.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

And here's the 20" pattern from the first one I posted above with the Star Dot.  The Star Dot is just a very hard choke to out shoot with these loads from a shot to shot basis.

ILIKEHEVI-13

That is why I kind of chuckle when I see guys that say the 3" loads pattern better than the 3.5" loads.  You can clearly see in the results I posted that even for pattern efficiency when talking percentage of shot vs number of shot that is simply not true.  Overall the pattern % usually comes out to being very close to even plus you get a lot more hits with that extra 1/4oz shot in the 10" from my findings. 

Longshanks

I'm getting about a 50-55 shot increase on paper in a 10 from 3/2/7's to 3/2.25/7's. Curious to know the actual shot difference in the two loads. If you are seeing a jump from 258 to 360..maybe I can get more out my gun. :z-guntootsmiley:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's the 20" pattern from that same 3" pattern I posted above.  508 shot in the best 20 circle in this pattern.  Now you guys do the math.  So that blows the 3" shells pattern better out of the water.  And there is actually 260 shot in the 10" pattern even though the other one above said 258.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Longshanks on January 17, 2012, 12:11:55 PM
I'm getting about a 50-55 shot increase on paper in a 10 from 3/2/7's to 3/2.25/7's. Curious to know the actual shot difference in the two loads. If you are seeing a jump from 258 to 360..maybe I can get more out my gun. :z-guntootsmiley:

That 360 pattern was the best that I have ever obtained.  A lot of that is the shells, and the actual barrel and the choke.  Finding a good Star Dot choke that shoots super dense patterns is one of the keys to shooting patterns like those above in the 835's.  Not all are that good.  But it will easily hit the 300 mark and then some.  

Longshanks

Awesome recipe for putting the wild turkey on the ground. Thanks for posting the pics and info. :OGani:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Your welcome.  I hope I didn't get carried away too much.  I just don't like to see people mislead others with the 3" shell myths.  If the  Still Target shoots would let shooters have their choice between shooting 3" or 3.5" loads and nobody could gripe about the outcome because they had their choice, not only would you see a lot of guys shooting the longer shells and heavier payloads but you would see a lot of records fall.  Now I know that's not fair, but a lot of those same guys are the ones that seem to try and tell people the 3" shells pattern better.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

longshanks,

To better answer your question above, I agree with you that it's more to it in the better numbers of the 3.5" loads vs the 3" loads than just the additional 1/4 oz of shot.  I believe it has more to do with the longer shot column for the components should be about the same except for probably a longer wad and more powder and of course the longer hull.  But why the 3.5" loads shoot so much denser 10" and 20" numbers I can't say for sure, but from the looks of it I would say it would be safe to say that all of that extra 1/4oz of shot is definately going inside the 10" and 20" patterns.  

stinkpickle

I wonder if the difference is as big in a non-835 gun.  Those 835s love larger payloads.

vaturkey

Quote from:  link=topic=15865.msg176614#msg176614 date=1326829652
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on January 17, 2012, 12:52:58 PMIf the  Still Target shoots would let shooters have their choice between shooting 3" or 3.5" loads and nobody could gripe about the outcome because they had their choice, not only would you see a lot of guys shooting the longer shells and heavier payloads but you would see a lot of records fall.  Now I know that's not fair, but a lot of those same guys are the ones that seem to try and tell people the 3" shells pattern better.  

I had a buddy over at the house last night who's getting about 440 something in the 10" at 40 yds with a 3" shell.   
:angel9:

Yea   3" #9 TSS  Right   :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: stinkpickle on January 17, 2012, 03:01:16 PM
I wonder if the difference is as big in a non-835 gun.  Those 835s love larger payloads.

It's there in a Browing 3.5" .742 bore as well.  I've had one of them too.  The 3.5" loads shoot better denser patterns.  The 870 from what I have seen on here are pretty much the same way  though I don't have a 3.5" 870.  I do have a 3" 870. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from:  link=topic=15865.msg176614#msg176614 date=1326829652
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on January 17, 2012, 12:52:58 PMIf the  Still Target shoots would let shooters have their choice between shooting 3" or 3.5" loads and nobody could gripe about the outcome because they had their choice, not only would you see a lot of guys shooting the longer shells and heavier payloads but you would see a lot of records fall.  Now I know that's not fair, but a lot of those same guys are the ones that seem to try and tell people the 3" shells pattern better.  

I had a buddy over at the house last night who's getting about 440 something in the 10" at 40 yds with a 3" shell.   
:angel9:

Hal,

Pixiedust don't count.  LOL!

stinkpickle

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on January 17, 2012, 03:08:39 PM
Quote from: stinkpickle on January 17, 2012, 03:01:16 PM

It's there in a Browing 3.5" .742 bore as well.  I've had one of them too.  The 3.5" loads shoot better denser patterns.  The 870 from what I have seen on here are pretty much the same way  though I don't have a 3.5" 870.  I do have a 3" 870. 

Yeah...the only 3.5" gun I have is an 835, and it really likes the longer shells.  All my others are 3", so I can't test 'em.