Main Menu

3" vs 3 1/2"

Started by DMP, January 15, 2012, 09:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: stinkpickle on January 17, 2012, 03:12:22 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on January 17, 2012, 03:08:39 PM
Quote from: stinkpickle on January 17, 2012, 03:01:16 PM
I wonder if the difference is as big in a non-835 gun.  Those 835s love larger payloads.

It's there in a Browing 3.5" .742 bore as well.  I've had one of them too.  The 3.5" loads shoot better denser patterns.  The 870 from what I have seen on here are pretty much the same way  though I don't have a 3.5" 870.  I do have a 3" 870. 

Yeah...the only 3.5" gun I have is an 835, and it really likes the longer shells.  All my others are 3", so I can't test 'em. 

Yep.  And my 835 is not any more special than others.  It's a 28" barrel that I polished myself.  I bought the gun around 1998 or so.  But those #7 patterns I posted above is why I shoot those loads over 6's or magblends.  When you get patterns like that, there really is no need to try and change anything.  Now that don't mean I gave up and quit trying, but I have definately slowed down on trying to see if I can find a different choke that will do better. 

davisd9

I wonder how turkeys were killed before Hevi-shot, 3.5" guns, or even 3" guns?  I just do not understand why some people believe they need a 3.5" shell with 300 + hits in a 10" circle at 40 yards to think they can kill a turkey.  I killed two last year with Hevi 6s 1 5/8 oz 3" shells last year and one the year before with a 20 gauge Remington Nitro Lead 5s 3" 1.25 oz load.  Come on now.  I shoot a 835 and I use 3" shells.    I want to see dead turkeys not dead pieces of cardboard.

I do not care what a person uses when they hunt as long as it is legal and ethical but do not try to make other think that only one thing works.

All of these were killed with 3" shells and the top one with lead (don't get 2ounce6s started posting pictures of dead turkeys from 3" shells and lead cause this thread will have 30 pages):

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: davisd9 on January 17, 2012, 05:26:09 PM
I wonder how turkeys were killed before Hevi-shot, 3.5" guns, or even 3" guns?  I just do not understand why some people believe they need a 3.5" shell with 300 + hits in a 10" circle at 40 yards to think they can kill a turkey.  I killed two last year with Hevi 6s 1 5/8 oz 3" shells last year and one the year before with a 20 gauge Remington Nitro Lead 5s 3" 1.25 oz load.  Come on now.  I shoot a 835 and I use 3" shells.    I want to see dead turkeys not dead pieces of cardboard.

I do not care what a person uses when they hunt as long as it is legal and ethical but do not try to make other think that only one thing works.

All of these were killed with 3" shells and the top one with lead (don't get 2ounce6s started posting pictures of dead turkeys from 3" shells and lead cause this thread will have 30 pages):

It's called insurance.  You don't really need it either, but it's nice to have when you do.  Sort of like you don't need a $1000 shotgun to kill a turkey, but how many on here have one.  Heck my cheap Moss will probably out shoot most of those expensive guns.  So why do you need one that cost that much?   The answer...you don't but that don't keep people on here from buying them now does it.  You could go on and on with that kind of thinking. 

davisd9

Valid opinion, but you made a great point, you do not need $1000 shotgun to kill a turkey or a 3.5" shell or 300+ hits in a circle.  A 3" shell is more than enough insurance to kill a turkey, it is a large bird no a dag um water buffalo.  Get them between 20 and 40 yards and a 2.75" shell will rock their world.  Turkeys have been being killed alot longer than the 3.5" shell has been around.  If you want to use it then use it, but do not make it seem like it is a requirement.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ILIKEHEVI-13

I never said it was a requirement.  I just said that is what I like in a pattern and I proved my point in why I shoot them.  No diffferent in what Hal shooting his TSS loads.  Does he have to shoot them?  Nope.  But I have no doubt in my mind that he likes the results he is getting with them or he wouldn't be using the TSS loads.  I say shoot what you like.  But I have no doubt that the 3" loads vs the 3.5" loads will be like putting a .250 hitter up against a .300 hitter when it comes time to deliver in a baseball game.  Both are capable of getting a hit, but when it comes down to crunch time I would rather place my money on the .300 hitter.  Just an example.  Take it for what it is.  Plus if I misjudge my yardage, I have more leadway to make up for my human error.

ILIKEHEVI-13

And if all I cared to shoot was 40yds, I surely wouldn't be shooting Hevi-13 loads.  Lead would be all I need. 

davisd9

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on January 17, 2012, 07:46:00 PM
And if all I cared to shoot was 40yds, I surely wouldn't be shooting Hevi-13 loads.  Lead would be all I need. 

Insurance  :icon_thumright:

davisd9

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on January 17, 2012, 07:33:40 PM
I never said it was a requirement.  I just said that is what I like in a pattern and I proved my point in why I shoot them.  No diffferent in what Hal shooting his TSS loads.  Does he have to shoot them?  Nope.  But I have no doubt in my mind that he likes the results he is getting with them or he wouldn't be using the TSS loads.  I say shoot what you like.  But I have no doubt that the 3" loads vs the 3.5" loads will be like putting a .250 hitter up against a .300 hitter when it comes time to deliver in a baseball game.  Both are capable of getting a hit, but when it comes down to crunch time I would rather place my money on the .300 hitter.  Just an example.  Take it for what it is.  Plus if I misjudge my yardage, I have more leadway to make up for my human error.

He shows the great results but does not try to push everyone that asks about a load to them.  He shows their great results and shoots them but does not try to say that they are only thing that will kill a turkey.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I think you like to just hear yourself type.   :happy0064:

So have at it.  Let's see some of your great 3" patterns tough guy. 

davisd9

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on January 17, 2012, 07:57:13 PM

I post dead turkeys, not cardboard.

CASH

Quote from: davisd9 on January 17, 2012, 08:00:09 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on January 17, 2012, 07:57:13 PM

I post dead turkeys, not cardboard.

:z-winnersmiley: :OGani: :smiley-char092:
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Gobble!

I shoot 3.5" shells the same reason I shoot Hevi, it patterns better and I shoot maybe 4 turkeys a year so y not shoot the best? Makes no sense not too. I say this based on results I have had with factory loads.

ILIKEHEVI-13

You guys sure no how to hurt a fella.   :lol:

So now I know what a turkey looks like.  Hey thanks for the pictures.  

And to think how dang silly I and others were at wasting time and effort shooting this silly cardboard.  

Thanks again for the advice.  I feel a lot smarter now.   :icon_thumright:

Wow what an education.   :toothy12:

davisd9

ILIKEHEVI-13,
I just wanted to let you know that I am not trying to argue with your experience and overall knowledge.  You are posted put impressive patterns and you seem to have very good knowledge on choke/load combos that work very well.  I am also thankful in your willingness to always offer suggestions to those that ask through your own experience.  The only point I am trying to argue is the fact that a 3.5" shell is not a requirement in turkey hunting.  Do they had pellets and so on, very much so, but a 2.75" shell will kill a turkey just as dead as long as the hunter knows his limits, and the same goes for 3.5" shells.  I have shot turkeys with 3" shells over 40 yards and killed them dead.  I am ashamed to say that last year I shot a bird that I thought was in the 45 yard range at 63 yards with a 3" shell.  I hate that I so badly misjudged the range but it happens and luckily he dropped like a hammer. You want to know my 3" pattern?  It is 176 hits in 10" at 40 yards laser with a 835 with a star dot and 3" mag blends.  It is very even and a hunting pattern.  I like a pattern like that cause 40 yards is what I try to limit myself to, but in case of misjudgement I can shoot to 45-50 yards.  I am not sitting on a bench in a blind that I can put my gun on a rest and soft squeeze the trigger.  I hunt sitting against a tree on the side of a field or in middle of the woods with a barrel rested against my leg.  300+ hits are great but in my hunting situations it causes more problems than it helps, and that could be because of me being behind the trigger.

Longshanks

In my opinion, the posting of more efficient, productive, better patterning shotguns is one of the most informative aspects of the turkey gun section of this website.  I am appreciative of anyone on this site who posts pictures and information about turkey guns based on their knowledge, hard work, experimentation, and overall experience. People dont have to offer information about what is working for them...im thankful that they do. They have helped me tremendously with my guns.  I am pretty sure ILIKEHEVI could care a less whether or not anyone shoots the same set up as him. He is just posting what works.  If folks are completely happy with the setup they are shooting..great..but argueing with another mans experience is kinda ridiculous...Thank you to everyone on OG that unselfishly offers information about turkey guns/chokes/ shells. :boon: