turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gonna Burn some boot leather in the morning

Started by ElkTurkMan, February 18, 2011, 08:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElkTurkMan

Guys I'm gonna slip down to one of my state ground haunts tomorrow and do some looking around.  I'm going to try and get there early enough to see if I can hear some early hammering.  Just going to do a quick look see and make sure they haven't done any logging or changed anything major.  I am also going to look at another section of ground on this same place that looks birdy, or at least it looked birdy last spring.  Anyway I'll report back tomorrow.  I hope everyone is having a fine Friday evening and I hope everyone has a great weekend!        

gob09

shane i know thats what we ought to be doing instead of going to the turkey show

unclerick

I'm trying to go in the mourning early and check out one of our spots just to see if anything is going on there. If I can get up that is.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

mfd1027

After all this talking we've done there's nothing better than a boot's on the ground report.   Can't wait to hear how it goes.    Nothing will make a turkey hunters smile more than that first gobble of the year.    Hope you hear it tomorrow, Shane.   Good Luck!!
Dan

unclerick

Just to let ya'll know, Wes is outside right now killing a opposum, I know it has nothing to do with this thread, but thought it is pretty funny, him trying to kill a opposum.. :bike2:

mfd1027

Dan

unclerick

I don't know Dan, he was going to call me back but I haven't heard from him yet, think the opposum is getting the best of him.

gob09

the wife seen him out the back doorand she stood there with the door wide open and hollered for me to come see him needless to say by the time i got out there he was gone i went to look for him but could not find him LOL

harvester

Yea Yea Yea, you MISSED.

Good Luck scouting tomorrow everybody.

mfd1027

Dan

unclerick

Quote from: gob09 on February 18, 2011, 09:24:16 PM
the wife seen him out the back doorand she stood there with the door wide open and hollered for me to come see him needless to say by the time i got out there he was gone i went to look for him but could not find him LOL
Now your learning Wes, always blame it on the wife, men can understand and believe that, except those of us that know you.

ElkTurkMan

I hit 2 of my 3 spots on the state land today.   Didn't hear any gobbling, but it was a pea soup thick fog this morning, and that may have had something to do with it.  One of my spots still had birds, they are spread out, but they are in there.  In fact some of the best sign was with 75 yards of the tree where I shot one of last years birds.  That definately brought a smile to me face.  My second spot didn't have a lot of sign, but that's not to uncommon for that area this time of year.  It's a  20 year old Pine thicket that borders some hardwoods.  People seem to overlookm this spot because it is mostly pines. The birds will be in there I'm certain, later in the year.  I didn;t get to my third spot, I ran out of time, and to be honest, I was a bit tired.  I'll go there next weekend or the weekend after.  I did look at the new birdy spot, and that really had some good bird sign.  My concern for it, is it is close to the raodand real easy to find.  I'll keep my eye on it.  Anyway a wonderful day in the woods, it sure heated up quick.  After I walked the state land I went to a buddys place and shot some skeet, and picked up a wing bone he built for me.  I'll post some pics on another thread showing it.   Tomorrow I'm gonna hit my lease and do some looking.  That palce has a lot of birds, but unfortunately for every bird I've got, I've got three yahoos.(Long Story)     
BTW, I hope Wes can get's that possum tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

harvester

:icon_thumright:
good deal, season here is still  aways out, so it will be next month before I do much scoutin. I got a pretty good idea where they are most of the time.

ElkTurkMan

Gonna hit spot #3 on state ground tomorrow.  As well as do some exploring.  My particular piece of state land is 38,000 acres.  I'm always on the prowl for more spots on this land,  You can never have to much ground! Sunday I will hit my lease.  I already pretty much know the deal there, but I am still going to slip in and keep tabs on things so to speek.  I hope everyone has a great weekend!

harvester

I was coming in today and saw two hens almost in my front yard. Last year there were a bunch raised here next to the house 13 total, 3 big hens and 10 poults. They are still around, seen them about 3 weeks ago. May do some scouting this weekend, just have to see how much time I have left after I get a couple things done here at the house.