only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Hunting Tip Challenge

Started by chrisun, February 06, 2011, 09:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TnTurk

Quote from: boatpaddle on February 12, 2011, 07:24:04 PM
Relax and enjoy the fact, "your not WORKING....." :happy0064:

Use your ears twice as much as your call.....

Listen to the woods.....

EXACTLY. Enjoy the experience and listen to the woods, they have something to tell you.

Missed-Em

Don't forget your water, suprising how thirsty you get when you forget it!  :popcorn:

turkaholic

having your license and tags can be usefull
live to hunt hunt to live

chrisun

One thing I found very useful when hunting with my young son out of a blind was taking lots of snacks and reading material for him. Some kids don't have much patience. I think we read green eggs and ham 6 or 7 times.  :fud:
John 3:16
Guns have 2 enemies.....rust and politicians.

harvester

If you it try and take your safety off quietly on your 835 with gloves on. MAKE sure the safety goes off. It will not shoot if it aint ALL THE WAY OFF. Missed a big gobbler a few years ago because the gun wouldn't shoot.

Put bug spray on before you leave your truck.
Carry a small pair of pruners
Have extra gloves and facemask.

Executioner

Any day is a good day to turkey hunt, no matter what the weather is. Never give up, no matter what and hunt as many minutes as possible. Always keep a positive attitude. Can't count the number of times I've helped people kill birds when they had all but given up hope and there were only minutes left in the hunt or this was the last stop before they had to leave. God bless.
"Confidence in your God given abilities adds more turkeys to your daily limit" Mike Miller "The Turkey Killer" Take delight in the LORD, and He will give you your hearts desires. Psalm 37:4

TrackeySauresRex

Be Ninja like.....and what everyone else said. Don't forget to take a nap out there,Because a rested turkey hunter is a good turkey hunter.  ;D
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

northms

Use your squealing hen call early and often.  Make sure to go buy the new lee and tiffany endorsed magnet top box call too. ;D

Can't kill dem birds wit out 'em.

StruttinGobbler3

I will reiterate in my own words what a couple other posters have already said. Always remember turkey hunting is not all about the kill. It's about being in God's country, taking part in a tradition that has been carried on by generations of our ancestors. Take the time to stop and appreciate the silence, the beauty, and all the awesome sights and sounds of the spring woods. To paraphrase from one of my favorite Ruark books, "Some folks go through this life stone blind with their eyes wide open, moving too fast to really see whats around them". Never lose the sheer enjoyment that comes from simply being out and away from the hectic fast pace of the modern world, and the thrill of yelping in that next gobbler. If you lose that, you have lost what it truly means to be a hunter. Now, I'll get off my soapbox. Just had to throw that in there. Happy hunting everybody  :z-guntootsmiley:
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Boomstick

Quote from: moore on February 14, 2011, 06:34:53 PM
here my tip I left in my team forum.When hunting in a blind bring something to piss in. I had a gobbler comein silent and when I opened my door to relive myself PUTT PUTT there he went

before deer season i stock up on gatorade bottles, they work pretty awesome for relieving yourself...

charlie
"Good... Bad... Im the guy with the gun" Ash from army of darkness

kyhareraiser

i guess a good safe tip for all is ............be sure of your target b4 pulling the trigger.sometimes after waiting and watching for a bird you might just see something out of your tired eyes that is'nt a turkey but maybe a hunter adjusting his cap..remember,,after the trigger is pulled ,you can't recall the shot ..  let's all be safe and have a fun season to to share good memories with each other..happy huntin'

Gobspur

Quote from: Gobblestopper on February 12, 2011, 10:13:46 PM
I like to take the little foil pouch juice bags with maybe even a few-pre-frozen if its going to be a warm day. Half full water bottles can slosh and crinkle and make a lot of noise when you are walking.

Know this post is way old, but I'm new to the site so reading back through.  Thought this idea was GREAT!  I always hate how my water bottle sloshes around when I walk.  I stay out all day and cover miles running and gunning, so I'm goin start carrying some of these.  Thanks Gobblestopper!

Marc

Some great tips here...  Most of the important things (such as patience) have already been mentioned.  Here are three things I have not yet seen mentioned:

1. Make a written hunting list, and check off all items before the hunt...  I am, and always have been pre-alzheimer's...

2. Camouflage netting to put over your box call or pot call while in use...  I put a small piece of camo netting, over or in front of my friction calls.  It reduces the chance of getting busted by a bird that is closer than you think.

3. The gun is up and ready as soon as I set up...  If a bird sneaks in on you, and you have to raise the gun to shoot, your chances just went down significantly.

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Struthunter

zelmo1

Bring food and water, you are on his clock now. Have patience. Make sure of your target, and yes, bring toilet paper.