OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Closest Shot?

Started by Neill_Prater, January 09, 2012, 11:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

Okay, since a "longest shot" thread isn't Kosher (and I understand why), how about a "closest shot" thread? I think the closest for me was about 12 feet. There was a lot of vegetation that year, and two toms were fighting unseen about 60 yards down the hill from me. When the fight was over, I called, and the winner immediately responded but went silent. I got ready, aiming down the hill, ready to drop him, but somehow, he got in a low spot and I never saw him come up the hill. The first glimpse I got of him was in my peripheral vision standing immediately to my left. For once, I didn't panic, I just swung the gun in a slow arc, and touched the trigger as soon as it was on him.

bird

About 10 yards and I liked to took the birds head clean off.  Way too close for comfort for me.  I prefer to have the bird right at around 25 to 30 yards myself.

mcgruff1533

15 feet last Spring... right in my back yard :you_rock:

Hognutz

Ten feet or so. I aimed a tad high, so I wouldn't blow his noggin' off.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Reloader

I've killed two pretty close, both about 12yds.  One was with lead #6 and I pretty much almost missed. It blew all the feathers of the side of his neck, but a couple strays broke his neck.  The other was with TSS, I put one clean hole the size of a 12ga shell right through his neck. Clean hole, no flyers.  Pure luck on that second one.

WildTigerTrout

About 30 feet. He was following a hen( I heard him sound off once). I challenged the hen and called her in REAL close ( like 6 feet). The Gobbler broke over the same rise she did and I killed him. To this day I don't know what happened to that hen but I'll bet she had a hearing problem for awhile after having that 3.5" magnum go off so close to her! ;D
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

stinkpickle

redarrow

Crappiepro

Quote from: stinkpickle on January 09, 2012, 12:27:13 PM
about 10 feet
I got to see my buddy's bird he shot, he said it was that close. He shot it #5's in a 3.5" lead shot.  Thats a head chop right there!!
Him and his dad was asking about the taxidermist and getting it mounted. I told them to call and see what he thought. I told him the guys good but I didn't think he was that good LOL.

njdevilsb

I shot one at about 6 steps a few years back.  We watched 3 or 4 toms and a few hens roost all together, and one tom roosted by himself a few hundred yards from the group.  We setup in between the lone tom and the group the next morning on the very edge of a big field.  The big group flew down all together and didn't respond to us.  The one lone tom didn't answer much, but one time he gobbled real close to my left.  Pretty soon my dad said here he comes and he was walking the edge of the field.  He did the mean walk right to our decoys and I shot once the bead was on him.  There was only a thin strand of skin holding his head on.

gob09

i killed one about 10-12 ft. spring before last almost missed i like them to be around 15 20 yrds.

C J Stahly

I didn't get a shot at it because I was bow hunting that particular day and he came from behind me, never knew he was there until it was to late.  He got about 5 feet and quickly move out to about 500 feet when I turned and looked at him.

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

neal

8-10 feet in the U.P. of Michigan back in '04 I was in the woods behind a rock fence with a low spot in the fence we called 4 gobblers down the fence row and I let the 2nd one have it. Pretty cool to be that close!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

reynolds243

8 steps and i did not like it. Bird came out of no where and from the side....had the 2 we were working out front at 60yds and this one decided to come in first unannounced. Had to turn and shoot as fast as possible. Not sure how i hit him but he rolled out dead at 8 yds. He was a tad closer before i shot because when i turned so did he in a full run.

at one point i told my buddy if i didnt try to shoot him he was going to literally step on me in a few more steps.