OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Closest Shot?

Started by Neill_Prater, January 09, 2012, 11:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylongspur88

Bout 8 steps. Way too close. Blew the top of the head off.

mnbeardbuster

My son closed the deal on his first bird at 7 steps.  Very small window of opportunity.

ncturkey

maustypsu

In the past three seasons I have taken three birds inside of 20 feet.  

The closest one I watched come 400+ yards across a field to within 5 feet of me.  You can't tell me they don't know exactly what tree that hen is standing by from a distance!!!  I think he finally saw me blink.  He still didn't know what it was because he just bobbed his head, didn't find the hen and turned to walk off.  I tried let him walk further but then had to take him based on the terrain.

Another I had to shoot close because if he got further to my right he would have been behind a tree and could have walked that field edge without me ever getting another shot.  The third caught me off guard.  I had a pair of birds come to my footsteps thinking I was the hen that just left the field.  They both came to the edge of the field in full strut.  I knew it was the only shot I was going to get thru the vegetation and it was a safe and clean one.  I do like to see how close I can get them and then let them get a little further away but if I can make the shot, I take the shot.

No holes in the meat and no suffering for the bird - that's all that matters.

paintbrush

Shot one 5 or 6 years back out in SD at about 10 ft or so. Only thing holding his head on was a little flap of skin where his neck use to be. Like hitting him with a slug.

TRKYHTR

I killed one with a stick. How close is that? Oh you said shot. I don't know but it didn't take but a few steps to get to him.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Ol'Mossy

Spring Creek Calls

8 paces in a heavy fog, Black Hills S. Dakota.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

harvester

11 steps. I think the 3 1/2 mag was a little over kill that close.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

DMP

hobbes

boomer

30_06

A couple of inches off the gun barrel...so roughly 3 feet. Came in behind me stepped over my leg and bit the bullet.

Kywoodsman

About 10 yards this last spring. He topped the hill and walked between my blind an my decoy and that was all she wrote.