Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

If you could buy that ONE special slate call................

Started by rempumpman, December 31, 2011, 11:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rempumpman

There are alot of people who advertises their calls on this web site but what call would you consider the top of the line? what woods do I need to focus on for both the call and the striker?

Here is the big question; from who do I need to buy and why? I want to pass this call down to my grandson someday but I don't want to "baby" it at all; I want this call to be a turkey magnet and it will be used and used hard; any information will be appreciated; thank you.......... :fire:
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

Gus_13

I havent purchased from anyone on the boards yet.  But I'm a fan of aluminum calls. Something to last and have a unique sound. But I'm the type to be streaky with calls. Some favorites stick around a little while but it can change if I pick up a call and it just hits me right.
Strut. Gobble. Die.

Ol'Mossy

I never purchased any here YET either but my buddy makes a nice slate call, he calls it a meat and potatoes call. I bought 2 of them so far and although they aren't fancy they sound great and they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

When it comes to lethal calls I immediately think of aluminum.

It has achieved serious traction amongs die hard turkey hunters over the last few seasons, establishing a great reputation as a surface that produces quality tones, and versatile pitch with little maintenance.

I'd highly recommend a yellowheartand and aluminum pot from Wendell Rye at lights out custom calls. A quick look at all the awards his aluminum calls have won will validate their quality.

ncturkey

I am not sure if these guys are on this site anymore or not but my favorites are and in special no order. I have a Bocote Slate over glass with Ebony striker that has some good rasp and talks soft by Morning Glorys Custom Calls (Kehl Helbert) I got a Paduck 3.5" slate over glass caller that calls soft to loud with ease. I have a Goncola Alves striker that sounds awesome with it. The Paduck caller was made by Roger Decker of Papaw's Custom Calls. I got nice Wormy burl maple pot for Al and Josk Shoemaker of SS Custom Calls. It is slate over glass. It plays well with a Persimmon striker and well has most strikers I have. All of these are great callers. Plus I have a double sider from Alex Williams that sound great. Plus I have a great single layer slate caller I got from a good friend in Leeds ALabama which will talk the talk just has good has any custom call I got. It loves almost every striker I put on it. To me it is hard to beat a good ole slate caller. The wood it is made from is important. But I am no expert so I would not begin the recommend one. The striker will have to be matched to the slate caller. Not all striker are the same. Good Luck in your quest for the perfect pot caller. Let us know what you get.

Crappiepro

Anything Mike Yingling makes! I have a few of his calls in different surface combo's. I just got a spalted sycamore/slate with a locust striker,  just like the others is just a real sweet caller and will be my new go to caller. They are nice enuff to display and great to hunt with too.

redarrow

Bunch of great call makers here.But I can only speak to those I have done business with. Lightsout, Pappys, and AJ Calls.Don't over look Longbeardfeverforever either. I believe he is an up and coming call maker whose stuff will increase in value.

unclerick

Jim Ward of Warbird turkey calls is the way I'd go, I've baught calls from several call makers from this site and Jim does a fantastic job of makeing a class act working call that will last and is touch.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

mossy835

I have bought from Pappy, Joe and Ken. I bought three slate calls from Joe when he ran a special and each one sounds turkey but they also sound different from each other. My two cents is the call makers here are all proficient in their quality of work and each call is going to look and sound unique. When you find one that looks right, call and ask to hear it if their is not a sound file on line for that call.

kamski1151

I have only bought from Wendell Rye ( Lightsout ) some great looking and sounding calls :icon_thumright:

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

Crutch

There is no greater call than one you make yourself and kill a bird with it.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

chatterbox

I have several custom calls, and they all sound good. I have calls from Andy Kaiser, Joe Slaton, Scott Hembrook, Tim Sanford, and I have run a call from Wendell Rye.
The best advice I can give you is to PM any one of the very fine callmakers on this site, and tell them what you are looking for. These gentlemen all want you to be happy, and will work with you to get the sound you are looking for.
Best of luck in your endevour, and post up some pics when you get the one you want!

TauntoHawk

I did a lot of looking around, playing with calls listening to clips last spring but couldnt buy much because of tight funds.. this spring I will buy a few of the top calls I found in my search last year..

Top of that list is a lights out Aluminum before season..

large pill of Hooks mouth calls and a nice short box are also on my list
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jakesdad

I have calls from lightsout and pappy,both are excellent calls in their own right.my lightsout is a slate while my call from pappy and is titanium and well,that thing just flat out rocks.I would say you cant go wrong with calls from any of the guys here,just get the one that sounds best to you.Thats why IMO,there will never ever be the one single "perfect" turkey call for everyone

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

dirt road ninja

Only own one pot call from guys on here, but have bought plenty over the counter calls. There is night and day difference. I don't think you'll get a bad call from anyone selling here. I would get in touch with Lights Out. I sent him a message earlier today for two more calls.