turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which rifle?

Started by OLE RASPY, December 25, 2011, 12:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OLE RASPY

Well i went today and put  a savage axis in .223 on lay-a-way.The stock is camoed and rest is black a sharp looking good and it had a scope on it to.For $370 out the door i couldnt resist.Thanks for the replys.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's why the 25-06 makes a great predator round.  The 85gr Nosler Ballistic Tip makes a great long range coyote buster.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=222

maustypsu

If all you want to do is kill them and not save the pelt then I would get the 25-06 too.  It wasn't one of your original options so I didn't comment on it.  But while we are forgetting where we started...  I'd recommend you look at the .204 ruger as well.  That will save pelt damage.

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on December 26, 2011, 09:16:04 PM
Quote from: maustypsu on December 25, 2011, 12:56:42 PM
If you plan to shoot 200-300 yards the are very similar guns. A lot more ammo options for the 223. The 223 is capable of killing yotes way further than 300 but there will be less compensation for drop with the 22-250.

Either will take yotes but those are the trade offs you will be looking at.

Ditto.

Or you could just get a 25-06.  It is said to be the perfect coyote gun.  And it's a great deer killer. 

maustypsu

Quote from: OLE RASPY on December 26, 2011, 09:59:57 PM
Well i went today and put  a savage axis in .223 on lay-a-way.The stock is camoed and rest is black a sharp looking good and it had a scope on it to.For $370 out the door i couldnt resist.Thanks for the replys.

Well done, sir.  That should treat you well.

Ol'Mossy

Quote from: OLE RASPY on December 26, 2011, 09:59:57 PM

Does it have the accu trigger? I heard they have a heck of a hard trigger pull, did you try it?

OLE RASPY

No sir i didnt try the trigger out they wouldnt let me dry fire it.I was gonna dry fire it and get a brand new one in the box but that one is all they had and she told they just put it out a couple days ago.Didnt have a scratch on it.Im not the type to buy one right off the shelf that everyone has handled but i did this time only because it looked great.

Ol'Mossy

Good luck with it..you can always take it to a gunsmith if you have to.

cannonball

You will like the .223. Shoot a bunch of those yotes for us.

surehuntsalot

I like the 243 with 85gr HP's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ElkTurkMan

I asked my self this very question last year when I was in the market for apredator rifle.  I ended up going with the 223, because of the ammo cost and because I wouldn't have to many shots over 300 yards.  Either one will do the job for sure.

OLE RASPY

Couldnt stand any longer so i went and got my rifle off of lay a way.I havent shot it yet cuz its been 20 mile an hour winds but maybe  ill get to it soon.Its a .223 savage axis with a 3x9x40 bushnell sharp shooter on it i prolly will change the scope out one day but ill keep it for now.This will be my varmit gun, ive been hunting with my .270 but i wanted something a little more flat shooting.

cannonball

Leader

223 I would say because of ammo choice/availability