turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Chocolate gravy - does anyone else eat it? pic included

Started by drenalinld, December 16, 2011, 10:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drenalinld

I grew up eating chocolate gravy on my biscuits. It was a treat usually on Saturday morning. I now make it for my girls on occasion. We had breakfast for supper tonight and it was GOOD!

Just so you know, I am not talking about chocolate pudding or jello. This is real gravy. First you want to start with just a tiny amount of bacon grease as any good food should. Add flour, sugar, cocoa, a little salt, and just enough milk to mix contents. As with any gravy the roux is most important. You want this to simmer and almost scald just as parched peanuts or good homemade hot chocolate would. You better stir this like crazy or it will burn and stick to the bottom of the iron skillet. Please don't make an imitation gravy in one of those imitation skillets, it must be seasoned iron. Once you get a good scald on the roux and it is bubbling pretty good over medium heat you can add the rest of your milk, some butter (do yourself a favor and use real butter), and a tiny bit of vanilla to fancy it up for the ladies. Continue stirring on medium heat until it begins to thicken, remove it from heat and let set for a few minutes before serving. Don't even think of pouring it in another container, you will BRUISE the gravy! It must be served directly from the iron skillet to the plate.

I like my biscuits torn into bite size pieces and mixed with the gravy. Ladies and city boys might tear their biscuit in half and pour gravy over them. Served with eggs, bacon, and coffee this will keep you going all day in the turkey woods!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

drenalinld

TurkeyScratch

Man yea, been eating chocolate gravy as long as I can remember. I love running my sausage through it.  Some good eating! Chocolate gravy may be more of a southern thing?

handcannon

Never heard of it but I'll try anything once. I didn't get this fine physique from watching what I eat.

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

bird

Man I haven't had chocolate gravy since I moved back to Iowa from Missouri. 
Mmmmmm Mmmmmmm Mmmmmmm Good!

redarrow

Man,that looks and sounds great,but there ain't no way I'm eating gravy before I head to the woods. :emoticon-cartoon-012:

Cleburne

Gus_13

Growing up my neighbor's mom always made this.  Usually on Saturdays for us as well.  Then as I got older I mentioned it to my mom and she told me she always knew how to make it and had made it plenty of times growing up but I never had asked her to! Needless to say now when I go home I get to have it with biscuits.  I like to tear my biscuits into pieces as well.  If there isn't any chocolate gravy there is always red eye gravy or Molasses.  Got to love southern cooking.
Strut. Gobble. Die.

TRKYHTR

Never heard of it before but I like chocolate, gravy and buscuits. It must be good.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

bird

pappy

Hey.my grandkids love that stuff..their daddy makes them breakfast every weekend with that on the main menu.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

trkehunr93

My wifes grandma makes it.  YUM is all I can say.  Reminds me of runny chocolate pudding, she fixes it at Christmas so should be getting some this coming weekend.  Can't wait.