OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Chocolate gravy - does anyone else eat it? pic included

Started by drenalinld, December 16, 2011, 10:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drenalinld

vaturkey

I've never heard of it ! But I'm like Joe, I love chocolate, gravy , & bisquits ! I bet its like a Religious Experience !   :icon_thumright:

vaturkey    :newmascot:
Vaturkey

Gold Spur

If you've never had chocolate gravy, you don't know what you're missing!
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

TClark

Take Care and be blessed,
Terry

College Students
http://4gcellpay.com/

chatterbox

Quote from: redarrow on December 17, 2011, 09:42:56 AM
Man,that looks and sounds great,but there ain't no way I'm eating gravy before I head to the woods. :emoticon-cartoon-012:
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Woodsman4God

Quote from: drenalinld on December 16, 2011, 10:57:41 PM
I grew up eating chocolate gravy on my biscuits. It was a treat usually on Saturday morning. I now make it for my girls on occasion. We had breakfast for supper tonight and it was GOOD!

Just so you know, I am not talking about chocolate pudding or jello. This is real gravy. First you want to start with just a tiny amount of bacon grease as any good food should. Add flour, sugar, cocoa, a little salt, and just enough milk to mix contents. As with any gravy the roux is most important. You want this to simmer and almost scald just as parched peanuts or good homemade hot chocolate would. You better stir this like crazy or it will burn and stick to the bottom of the iron skillet. Please don't make an imitation gravy in one of those imitation skillets, it must be seasoned iron. Once you get a good scald on the roux and it is bubbling pretty good over medium heat you can add the rest of your milk, some butter (do yourself a favor and use real butter), and a tiny bit of vanilla to fancy it up for the ladies. Continue stirring on medium heat until it begins to thicken, remove it from heat and let set for a few minutes before serving. Don't even think of pouring it in another container, you will BRUISE the gravy! It must be served directly from the iron skillet to the plate.

I like my biscuits torn into bite size pieces and mixed with the gravy. Ladies and city boys might tear their biscuit in half and pour gravy over them. Served with eggs, bacon, and coffee this will keep you going all day in the turkey woods!

Yup I think thats a southern thing , now being as I am a northern boy who loves biscuits in gravy, with a wife who loves cast iron I have everything I need to try it but I need to know one thing, as with all good recipes I know you never quite make it the same way twice but generally how much Cocoa do you add to the mixture? Everything else I can handle as its very similar to how I make my sausage gravy