OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fields or forests???????

Started by chatterbox, December 08, 2011, 05:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

Gentlemen.
Where is your favorite place to setup on turkeys? Do you like to camp out on field edges, or are you more of a deep woods hunter.
My favorite is to hunt field edges overlooking known safe areas where turkeys will visit. I don't mean ambush situations, but areas where a turkey will not only answer your calls, but will feel safe traveling down to that area.
What do you guys like?

guesswho

Up until about 10:00 a.m. I like the timber.  After that I like to field hop, hunting the woods along the way.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

drenalinld

Where they are gobbling!!! I prefer big hardwood flats, but after spending some time out West hunting them on open farm ground I like that also.

vaturkey

Decoys & fields are real killers !  I've had gobblers come from over 300 yds once they have spotted the decoys.  :icon_thumright: 

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

VAHUNTER

timber for me but will go to where the birds are.i do like open areas on a rainy day
Good things come to those who wait

Cove

All of the above with a cypress swamp thrown in there as well.  :z-guntootsmiley:

redarrow

davisd9

Where ever he is roosted.  If it is on a field's edge then that is where I will be, but if he is in the woods then that is where I will be. 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

spurman

I like timber at dawn and then on up in the morning I like to hunt field edges and fields. Out west is almost all field hunting.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

stinkpickle

Very few of my hunting spots have any timber much thicker than a brushy draw, so I'm usually limited to hunting field edges anyway.

ctwny1

Like woods up to around 9:30am....then edge of field.

Struttinhusker

I put my ground blind in a somewhat open area between a thick timber on one side and pasture on the other.  There are corn and soybean fields all around. This little area seems to be one of those safe places that the turkeys come through.  I hunt deer in the same exact spot.

Wrangler95

I hunt woods and fields but fields with decoys is where I kill most of my turkeys!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

West Augusta

Wouldn't know how to hunt open ground.  There aren't many fields in this part of the state.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Basser69

I had rather be in the woods but will set up on a field if that is where he is roosted at first light. After 10:00 or so its all field hunting for me