OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Reasons?

Started by guesswho, December 05, 2011, 08:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

It's getting closer to turkey season and my mind is starting to come out of hibernation.  

I hear every year about gobblers that hang up.  In your opinion what are some of the reasons they hang up?  What would you think the number one reason is?  No right or wrong answers just opinions.  Plus I want to see if anyone is on the same train as me.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

CASH

I think they hang up because we aren't doing something right.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

bird

They hang up on you cuz they can.
  :whip2:

chatterbox

Terrain features maybe, or they just don't feel comfortable going where you want them to go.

Crappiepro

Well I think the reason they hung up on me last year was because the boy that lives across the road from the property I hunt was standing on the porch aweek before season callin the birds in the field LOL. I would tend to agree with the above statement too. Maybe we aren't doin something right!

unclerick

Well personely I think the biggest reason for hang ups is the strut, a bird gets so fired up he starts struting and thats all he can remember he's suppose to do. My reason for this thinking is the fact that I've noticed the less I can make a gobbler strut the more likely he's going to come straight in gobbling his head off.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

GOLD HUNTER

The caller don't sound or call like a turkey...... :icon_thumright:

brian

sugarray

I think it is because he doesn't see that hen he hears.  I think there are very few situations in the wild where he doesn't see that hen because she is moving around all the time, not just sitting and calling.

TRKYHTR

Girlfriends. It's all about the ladies.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Tail Feathers

I agree with sugarray.  I think a lack of movement from the calling hen is a likely culprit.

Plus "they just don't want to". :D
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

drenalinld

Quote from: TRKYHTR on December 05, 2011, 09:02:02 PM

TRKYHTR
Agreed. The biggest reason they hang up is real hens. 2nd biggest can't see the hen doing the calling.

Duke0002

TRKYHTR

Ditto.  If he's got enough hens coming to visit him, he has no need to go looking for love elsewhere.    

Even when hens finish coming to him during the morning in his strut area, and he leaves his strut area in response to our calling, he's still used to having the females come to him.  

IMO, he'll keep a safe/comfortable (to him) buffer distance between our calling and our statue-like decoys.  

guesswho

So far we have

1. Were not doing something right.
2. Because they can
3. People calling to them before the season
4. Terrain or they just don't want to go where we want them to.
5. Callers calling doesn't sound real.
6. They don't see the hens, or no movement from the hens.
7. Real hens, either he won't leave what he has or real hens inercepted him before getting to your location.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Dylan T

Quote from: drenalinld on December 05, 2011, 09:08:37 PM

TRKYHTR
Agreed. The biggest reason they hang up is real hens. 2nd biggest can't see the hen doing the calling.

Just like humans.

:turkey2:

joshua

TRKYHTR
100% agree. I also think it has something to do with their natural ability to stay alive. He's not gonna just run into a brush pile when he can stand at 100 yds with the best eyesite in the game and survey the situation. Those wonderful 2 year olds will sometimes but those old veterans have probably seen the best us hunters and mother nature could throw at them and then some.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.