OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Reasons?

Started by guesswho, December 05, 2011, 08:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renegade19

Quote from: TRKYHTR on December 05, 2011, 09:02:02 PM
Girlfriends. It's all about the ladies.

TRKYHTR

My thinking too!!!  IF he's alone, he's way more likely to sprint to you.

BigHooks

I think it's all the above an then some. Theres one thing for sure if a turkey could smell you like a deer we would never kill one.

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on December 06, 2011, 02:32:19 PM
Of course, if you agree that it is possible for that to be the reason, then one must, by inference, agree that turkeys do indeed have some sort of reasoning ability going on in their pea-brains.  I happen to believe that is the case, but have seen that theory psshawed by others on numerous occasions around here.
I enjoyed those threads.  We need to start another, but need to do it on a Friday.  I'm at my best on Fridays, and for the record I'd never psshaw another :angel9:
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Hey, Friday's just around the corner!.....good time to start another psshawing session!

woodchip

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on December 06, 2011, 08:43:37 PM
Hey, Friday's just around the corner!.....good time to start another psshawing session!
I'm in.  I just need to find my psshawing.  If I remember right it's located close to my diaphram.  Word of caution from experience, do not google psshawing and diaphram.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Flydown

I just think turkeys are turkeys and what they do today to stay alive only educates me and helps me get one step closer to his funeral tomorrow. I'm not saying that always happens but to have a turkey "hang up" only tells me he was interested and either lost interest or got something better on the way to me,but little did he know is that he helped me get one step closer to him tomorrow. A hung up turkey only makes me want to go back, and that's what makes it turkey hunting to me.

Shotgun

Heck if I know...They are strange creatures that amaze me year after year.

Here's what I do to minimize hang ups however.

1) set up close
2) set up where there are not any obsticles between me and him
3) while hunting fields set up as close to tree line as possible while staying concealed
4) I like to call a lot, but never when I know he is heading towards me
5) act like a turkey from approaching him to scratching in the leaves periodically
6) keep calling to a very minimum or none at all when he is in the tree
7) when henned up im calling to the hens not him
8) if he beats me one day try something different the next day

I've been hunting them hard for 22 yrs and each year they tend to do things that amaze me.

Basser69

Because they can.... Just doing their usual thing and waiting on the hen to  go to them