OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pattern pics 2-16-11

Started by woodchip, February 17, 2011, 12:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodchip

It was 65 degrees out today so I done some patterning with my 870 SM SPS with a polished barrel.  I started out getting my Williams firesights set using 2.75 high brass #6s at 20yds.  Then I moved back to 40yds.  The Hevi-Shot Hevi 13 3.5"  2.25oz  #7s gave me the best pattern which is what I was hoping for anyway.  It's not as good as some I've seen on here but plenty good to kill a turkey at 40 or less.  I am happy with the 7s. They shot dead on but everthing else was to the right.  The black dot was the point of aim inside the original circle.  I drew a second circle on the other shells to find out if it was worth resighting for them.  I guess I'll be using #7s for the first time this year.  I also posted up some 20ga patterns in that section if anyone is interested.

[attachment deleted by admin]

woodchip

pics

woodchip

pics

S.C.C

All of them look good and will hunt!!
But those 7's do stand out from the rest!! :icon_thumright:

VAHUNTER

you do realize that today is the 17th :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Good things come to those who wait

VAHUNTER

not a thing wrong with any of those patterns  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Good things come to those who wait

ILIKEHEVI-13

woodschip,

There is nothing wrong with those patterns, but you can improve them substantially with a more open choke like .670 or .675.  I can tell that .660 is too tight and is actually overchoking your loads.  But it will work.  Not trying to sound negative, just offering some advice if you are willing to take it.  I would suggest trying a Indian Creek .670 in the future, and if that don't improve those numbers like I am almost positive that it will then try a .675.  All you have to do when you buy a Indian Creek choke is keep trying constrictions until you get the one that works for you.  I think a .670 ought to do very well for you.  I hope that helps you.  

woodchip

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 17, 2011, 05:55:06 AM
you do realize that today is the 17th :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

I guess I hit a 2 instead of a 1.  Supposed to be 2-16-11

SKFOOTER

I agree with JD.  I have the same setup and I'm getting right at 300 pellets in the 10 inch 40 yard circle with those Hevi #7's. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

What John told you could very well be true about something not right with your barrel.  I shot the Jelly Head .665 choke in my 28" Rem polished barrel and it barely broke 200 in the 10" at 40yds with the 3" Hevi-13 2oz #7 load.  The same can be said for the Indian Creek .665 in my barrel.  They both were about identical.  I wasn't impressed with either in my barrel.  But here is where it gets strange.  I went to a .655 and my 10" numbers jumped up about 50 shot.  But the overall pattern was still not what I wanted.  I tried the .669 and my numbers jumped about 60 shot in the 10" with a great 20" pattern overall.  I haven't shot the .660 Jelly Head, but I can tell you that the .655 Rem Ventilator choke if you are tight on money is the best choke I know of for less than $25 and that is shipped to your door for that price.  Why that tight of choke shoots like it does is beyond me.  Must be the design of the internals.  I posted a link on here where you can get them for less than $25 if you are interested.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

Not every choke design will work the same I guess is my point.  That choke did not work well with his barrel.  I can see the holes in the pattern.  Now whether or not it's something wrong with his barrel I can't say.  But I do think a more open choke will beat those numbers by a large margin.  I know because I have seen it happen in my barrel is why I say that.  But again every choke design can make a differnce and leave you thinking the opposite when you think you got it figured out what works and what doesn't.  Those patterns you tested with the Rhino .660 are very good patterns.  But just to prove what I said about going to a more open of a choke I can get those numbers and then some with my MAD Super Max .675 choke with only 2oz #7 loads.  And that is .015 bigger than the .660.  But again that may be my barrel or it may be the choke design who is to say.  I just know that .670 and .675 will shoot extremely well in my barrel.  

Gobble!

Those patterns will kill a turkey every time congrats

with that being said your numbers should be much higher
a .660 jellyhead should be putting over 250 with the 7s and over 200 with the 6s
but those patterns will get the job done every time

I dont believe this is too tight a choke. In my opinion the best patterns I have seen from remingtons come from the .660-.665 choke diameter range

ILIKEHEVI-13

And that is why we have forums like this because we all have our own thoughts to what works.  In my 870 barrel. a .669 to .675 seems to be the ticket.  But I have seen some good patterns with some .655 chokes.  But the best overall 10" and 20" numbers come from the more open chokes has been my findings.  I think I can screw these exact same chokes into my buddy's 870 barrel and they both will shoot about like mine.  Why I say that is because I sold him that gun, so I know what it will do.  

woodchip

The 870 has a 26" barrel and we shot off of sand bags.  I admit I am a bit disappointed.  I was expecting somewhere around 250.  The wind was blowing parrellel to the line of fire a bit but not bad.  If I decide to go on and go with the #7 setup it will still be the best pattern I've packed to the woods.  When I switched to Hevi-Shot from lead I patterned one of my old lead shells and couldn't believe the difference.  It made me wonder how I'd killed all those birds. I didn't pattern a circle with lead back then but I think I was getting around 20 in the head at 40 and not too consistently.  Appreciate all the help, I may decide to play with it.

S.C.C

Have to agree with some......open the choke up on the 26" at least to a .665... :icon_thumright: