OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pattern pics 2-16-11

Started by woodchip, February 17, 2011, 12:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well let me know if I can help.  I think what I told you is very much true in your barrel.  I doubt very seriously if anything is wrong with your barrel either. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Temp plays a huge effect on patterns.  The pattern I shot that gave me just a tad shy of 300 was shot on a 72 degree day.  But remember too that your still talking about  1/4oz less of #7 shot which would be about 70 shot less approx vs the loads you were shooting.  So that pretty much would offset the difference in my opinion.    

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's that pattern I was talking about.  That was shot at a tape measured 40yds from tip of choke to target too.  No stepping off the yardage or using a laser rangefinder that can give different readings.  That's ringing out the 2oz load of 7's in my honest opinion.  And that was shot with a MAD(Indian Creek) Super Max .675 choke with no wad stripper feature.  I might add that I originally counted that pattern at 319 shot, but recently was convinced that some of the snowman pellets I counted as 2 shot, so I recounted just to be more accurate.  But it could very well be that it was over 300 shot if some of them actually were 2 shots.  Hard to say for sure.  But I feel better about the count I now have on that pattern just so I am not misleading anyone.   

ILIKEHEVI-13

And here's the 20" numbers.

There is 501 shot inside the 20" on this pattern.  That's like 82% of the pattern.  I had 613 total hits in that cardboard.  But I could have had a few that missed the outer edge of it too.  But I just divided the 501 by 613.  But that's why I like the .675 choke that I have.  The Indian Creek .669 shoots very well too.  Not quite this good though. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Gobble!

Thats a great pattern no doubt about it. Whats your barrel length?

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Gobble! on February 17, 2011, 04:17:03 PM
Thats a great pattern no doubt about it. Whats your barrel length?

28" buddy!  I polished myself.  I like the Indian Creek .669 because I think it shoots a little more dead center.  

Check it out.  Indian Creek .669.  This choke has had only I think a couple shots through it.  It will only get better in time from my findings with other chokes I have tested.  

[attachment deleted by admin]

ILIKEHEVI-13

Now I hope that explains why I like a choke around .670 to .675.  You can still get great numbers sometimes with tighter chokes, but more times than not you will hurt your overall 10" and 20" numbers from what I have found.  Your mileage may vary.  Again this is not set in stone.  It is just an example of what I believe will work in more Rem barrels shooting Hevi-Shot #7 loads.  I would say that 6's would still be about the same in constriction size as well for what shot them the best. 

Gobble!

That 28" barrel helped a lot also.

Using a .665 Indian Creek and the #7s I got 324 at 40 inside a 10" circle with the 3.5" shell. I wish I had the 20" numbers but I forget them. I know it was around 85% of the load inside a 20" circle.

ILIKEHEVI-13

The .665 Indian Creek didn't shoot very well at all in my barrel with the 7's.  It barely broke 200 shot in the 10" as did the Jelly Head .665. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Gobble! on February 17, 2011, 04:37:36 PM
That 28" barrel helped a lot also.

Using a .665 Indian Creek and the #7s I got 324 at 40 inside a 10" circle with the 3.5" shell. I wish I had the 20" numbers but I forget them. I know it was around 85% of the load inside a 20" circle.

Well if I did the math right and that there is in fact 613 shot in a 2oz load of 7's, adding 70 more shot on avg from size 7 shot to 7.5 shot then that would give you 683 shot in the 2 and 1/4oz #7 load.  So that 324 is 44% of your pattern in the 10" and the one I shot above was 48%.  Just to give you an idea and my 20" numbers were only around 82%.  

Now if you figure some of those shot as #8's then that would only mean more shot yet on top of the 70 shot I was figuring for the 1/4oz difference.

BigHooks

IlikeHevi-13 I shoot a 870 sps-t smag 23in. barrel I think that 28in. barrel helped alot if not it should have...

hookedspur

:icon_thumright::icon_thumright:Gotta love those 7s
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

ILIKEHEVI-13

BigHooks,

That is a very good pattern.  What choke were you using if I may ask and constriction size?  I like that.  That is what I would call outstanding for a 23" barrel.   :icon_thumright:

magnumblend

BigHooks