turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3" or 3.5"

Started by gobblingghost, November 18, 2011, 05:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblingghost

How many shot 3" in their 3.5"? What the difference in the results?

jbmabrey

I shot 3" shells in mossberg 835 this past spring . Reason-gun is light and kicks like a mule. I sighted it in with low powered scope and then used my 11-87 with 3.5" to kill 2 birds in Maryland.
Just too much recoil for me.

Before anyone gets on me, I'm 65 next month, I shoot 3 different muzzleloaders, savage  tc 50 cal, and tc 45 cal. Also have over 300 slugs this year with mu USH-- ultra slug hunter-12 ga. using hand loaded lightfields, Sabot Pressure wad slugs(hastings components) and  Lymans slugs.
I also shoot Marlin 1894 in 44 mag, and tc 44 mag pistol, tc 357 maximum pistol and 2 muzzleloader pistols-45 and 50 cal.  The Mossberg with 3.5 shells with Black Cloud hurt too.
In spite of that I still like the gun a lot.

mossy835

3" mag blends 6 and 7 shot. 3 dead turkeys. I use the 835 and have a Sims limbsaver on it so for "me" the recoil is not an issue and I do carry #6 HM in 3.5 but I have not seen a need for it yet. I bought the 835 as I can shoot 2 3/4 for upland and 3.5 for geese if I want to. On the recoil I have yet to see anyone at the pattern board that does not feel the same recoil as I do on the 835 against their shotgun as the rounds do have some kick to them. Good luck and have fun it is your choice.

gobblingghost

According to my calculations there is only about 55 shot between a 2 oz and 1.75 oz #6
I have one of those mule kickers too. BUT I don't shoot anymore. I keep for those people that say "There ai'nt no gun that kicks like my rifle"

LBSS

From what I've read the best way to make a shotgun more effective is to get a bigger one
your can only push the limits of a 410,32,28,24,20,16,14,12,10, & 8gauge so far lol .

gobbler74

Quote from: gobblingghost on November 18, 2011, 08:19:48 PM
According to my calculations there is only about 55 shot between a 2 oz and 1.75 oz #6
I have one of those mule kickers too. BUT I don't shoot anymore. I keep for those people that say "There ai'nt no gun that kicks like my rifle"

I hear that. Don't talk about a .300 unless you've shot a hot 3.5" turkey load..I shot mossbergs for years and still take out from time to time. My go to's are an 870 spst and browning 10's. I shoot the 10s for max performance without as much recoil.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

LBSS

Agreed on the 10ga I never use feild loads even fir my rabbit and squirrel so I just went with the 10 ga

Old Gobbler

Quote from: gobblingghost on November 18, 2011, 05:39:44 PM
The results theoretically speaking is .... 12.5% in payload/ performance if the two comparative turkey guns shoot identically efficient

The extra .25 ounce of payload , if you can get that load to shoot efficiently , and although most of the serious members here that shoot the 3.5/12 are able to find that magic combo by trial and error or by having the nice folks on here pass on the information ...thus saving you $$

The extra .25 ounce of payload makes the pressure{= recoil} go right through the sky , that's why everyone here that owns one, that is shooting full 2.25 loads will let you know of its stout recoil -

Some made mention of the Mossberg's and I can tell you that to me they kick me harder than my 10 gauge auto -I am not familiar with the newer Mossbergs but the one I owned , had a horrible recoil pad - I have a 3.5 Bennelli Nova with a limbsaver and it kicks much less than my old Mossberg - I think the difference is not the gun but the recoil pad

But if it shoots tight and hard , to most it is worth the effort to own a 3.5 - If a person is looking for a turkey gun and is weighing the options , most would recommend that you purchase the 3.5 , besides you can always make the choice to shoot 3 inchers if it suits your needs

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

mossy835

Quote from: Old Gobbler on November 19, 2011, 12:56:46 PM
Quote from: gobblingghost on November 18, 2011, 05:39:44 PM
The results theoretically speaking is .... 12.5% in payload/ performance if the two comparative turkey guns shoot identically efficient

The extra .25 ounce of payload , if you can get that load to shoot efficiently , and although most of the serious members here that shoot the 3.5/12 are able to find that magic combo by trial and error or by having the nice folks on here pass on the information ...thus saving you $$

The extra .25 ounce of payload makes the pressure{= recoil} go right through the sky , that's why everyone here that owns one, that is shooting full 2.25 loads will let you know of its stout recoil -

Some made mention of the Mossberg's and I can tell you that to me they kick me harder than my 10 gauge auto -I am not familiar with the newer Mossbergs but the one I owned , had a horrible recoil pad - I have a 3.5 Bennelli Nova with a limbsaver and it kicks much less than my old Mossberg - I think the difference is not the gun but the recoil pad

But if it shoots tight and hard , to most it is worth the effort to own a 3.5 - If a person is looking for a turkey gun and is weighing the options , most would recommend that you purchase the 3.5 , besides you can always make the choice to shoot 3 inchers if it suits your needs

I have to agree, my 835 and my friends Bennelli shooting side by side as far as recoil goes is the same. The pad does make the difference in "felt" recoil. Good post.

gob09

i wont lie i let a good (brother) deal  on a moss. 835 go because  the felt recoil was just too much. i shot it  one time and put it down with a 3in turkey load .
in the guns defense at the time i had no knowlege of the new high tech recoil pads at the time wish i had known
call me a weenie but that thing hurt

chatterbox

Quote from: gob09 on November 19, 2011, 05:49:56 PM
i wont lie i let a good (brother) deal  on a moss. 835 go because  the felt recoil was just too much. i shot it  one time and put it down with a 3in turkey load .
in the guns defense at the time i had no knowlege of the new high tech recoil pads at the time wish i had known
call me a weenie but that thing hurt
I agree with you. They do kick like a mule, but the limbsaver pad takes alot of the sting out of them.
I also find that shooting them out of my gobblelounger seems to help. I find that when I'm shooting in a comfortable position, that also seems to help.

gob09

shot mine out of a gobbler lounger today and loved it im gettin one for sure

gobblingghost

I was digging trough my supply of differeny shells and I found a box of Winchester extended range #6 in a 3". Time to burn some shells and see just what they wil do.

gob09

i liked them last year i just did'nt have any to shoot this weekend what are you shooting them out of

gobblingghost